Page 5 of 55 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Hearst Tower - 300 West 57th Street @ Eighth Avenue - by Norman Foster

Forum Veteran

Default Hearst Magazine Tower

Quote: from Christian Wieland on 7:52 pm on Mar. 15, 2003
    A whole new perspective! Thanks a lot. I didn't know it had a U-shape and an interior courtyard.
    Had to. *Buildings of those days, before there was flourescent lighting and air conditioning, needed light courts to allow light and air to penetrate the entire building. *I didn't think about it before, but those pictures prove that it makes sense.

Nice shots, Stone! *Where were you taking these from?

http://skyscraperpage.com/gallery/sh...ss=&sort=1
    Has anyone ever considered topping off the Metropolitan Life Tower just like the Hearst Magazine building. Originally, as it was proposed, it was supposed to take away the crown as the world's tallest from the Empire State Building, but only the base was used. The pic is obove.

I wonder about that, too. *The building always looks stunted to me, really not well-proportioned.

I would love to see that happen, but with a modern design. *Maybe Lord Norman Foster can work his magic again with the Metropolitan Life Tower.

"Preservationists" would probably scream.

Would the current zoning even permit it?

…nonetheless, it'd be a perfect spot for a 1000 footer, on top of what already is probably around 300 ft.. Yes I can image a sleek, black, Forster style addition to that building, beautiful.

Some of you may be aware of a similar addition being done by Vornado at 640 fifth ave -- they're adding a modern glass shaft to the top of a 1949 building. *I can't find a direct url for an image, but Vornado's website is www.vno.com

Forum Veteran

The MetLife North Building was designed to be between 80 and 100 stories and meant to be the WTB. *Considering the economic condition during its construction (the Depression was already underway), there's a lot of doubt as to whether MetLife ever intended to finish the building. *However, what was finished of it is definitely massive; the floorplates are 80 feet deep and were perfect for large-scale trading operations. *This building might have been the forerunner for the open-floorplan designs of International-style buildings following WW2.

I was aware of the internal courtyard, which only makes its harder to believe it was a corporate headquarters. But folks, we are close to construction here, very close. The building is now closed for all extensive purposes.

If it comes to that with Metlife North, I'd like to see it clad in the same white masonry as the 30-floor base. Preferably up to 40 extra floors without any further setbacks. And screw the preservationists.

dbhstockton wrote:
    Some of you may be aware of a similar addition being done by Vornado at 640 fifth ave...

Yes, I put up a post about this what seems like close to a year ago when the scaffolding first went up. I took a photo of the rendering on the front of the building. I cannot find that image now. I think I pulled it from my server. I'd still have it archived somewhere... Regardless, funny you should bring it up, I photographed it again this weekend. The building is starting to rise. You can see the rendering on the front of the scaffolding...

View SW from Wollman Rink. The slim green building is 301 W 57 St, directly north across the street from Hearst. The tower will rise just to the left of the taller dark brown building.

As a height comparison, 301 w 57 is 628 ft (according to Stern), so 32 ft shorter.

It would be nice if it was taller, but the visability from Central Park will be good.

Thanks.

Construction started on Hearst Magazine Building. Eighth Avenue on 19 July 2003.

Page 5 of 55 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast