Page 11 of 39 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Empire State Building - 350 Fifth Avenue @ 34th Street - by Shreve, Lamb and Harmon

I think the price on the Empire State Building is $27

Thumbs up

Awesome photos of ESB

Admission Prices at the Empire State Building:
    ESB Audio Tour$6.00
    Adults (18-61) $14.00
    Youth (12-17)$13.00
    Child (6-11)$9.00
    Seniors (62+)$13.00
    Military w/ID$13.00
    Military In UniformFree
    Toddlers (5 or younger)Free

Official website of the Empire State Building

Hey guys, I was browsing the net looking for pictures of NYC and came across this site. You guys take some wonderful pictures.

In any case, I'm from Atlanta, and my family and I decided to go to New York for the Thanksgiving holidays since none of us had ever been before, save for my younger brother who went with Model UN through his high school.

I must say, the New York skyline is the most amazing skyline I've ever seen. I've been to LA, Tokyo, Houston, Dallas, San Fransisco, etc. and New York blows them all away. I've never seen anything like it. The sheer height of Manhattan is astounding. Yeah, Tokyo is vast and expansive, but it doesn't have that towering, epic height.

Well, the reason I decided to post here is because I noticed you were all discussing the 102nd floor on the Empire State Building. It is open to the public now, at least it was when I went. However, it costs an extra $10 in addition to the regular $14 to visit it. My family opted for the tickets, and it's a very cool room. Yes, it's small, but the feeling up there is phenomenal.

The Top of the Rock is a good view, too, and allows for some great shots of the ESB. My favorite building in NYC is still the Chrysler building, though. :-)

Atlanta is growing and getting some awesome buildings, but they're all new, 21st century architecture. There is only one Manhattan skyline, and there will never be anything else like it. You guys have a wonderful city, you should be proud of it. I can't wait to go back. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by sfenn1117
    I went to the Statue of Liberty in the summer of 2001, it was a foggy day and I have pictures of the WTC poking through the fog

Anyways they didn't allow us to go to the crown then. The highest we got was the top of the pedestal. It's a rickety stair case to the top from what I saw.

I don't think the 102nd floor will be open to the public anytime soon, if not ever, even with reservations. It's too small. I've actually never been to the ESB observatory (But I did at the wtc), but when I was in Toronto it took 2 hours to get to the highest point of the CN Tower, but only 20 minutes to get to the regular part. In NY.....it would probably take all day to get to the top.
    Omg... I was at the Statue of Liberty in the summer of 2001, too!! And it was very foggy, and the top of the WTC was covered in fog. I know fog might happen several times during the month, but the three days we were there, it only got really foggy one day, and all the rest were pretty much crystal clear.

Is it possible we were standing on the Statue of Liberty the same exact day that summer? And I just stumbled upon your post!

I have a picture my dad took of the WTC under fog, from the SoL. It's on a different computer, though. I'll paste you the link and see if it triggers any memories. Very interesting!

P.S. I don't know if this is discussed in later thread pages, because I just read this one post, but the 102nd Floor Observation Deck of the ESB has officially been reopened as of November 1, 2005!!!!!!! I'm FLIPPIN OUT because of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!1!!1!

someone go there and take some pics please eek:

veiled the photographs of my last voyage of the empire state building

With the american radiator building :

Reflet

See :
    http://perrin.olivier.free.fr/new_yo...ing/index.html
    with the american radiator building
    http://perrin.olivier.free.fr/new_yo...ing/index.html

Forum Veteran

I like the second one the best: with the exception of the HBO building all the way in the distance on 42nd Street, every building in that view is prewar. Were it not for the cobrahead lampposts, I'd think that it was a color photo from the 1940s.

Quote Originally Posted by TLOZ Link5
    I like the second one the best: with the exception of the HBO building all the way in the distance on 42nd Street, every building in that view is prewar. Were it not for the cobrahead lampposts, I'd think that it was a color photo from the 1940s.
    Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by TLOZ Link5
    AND the huge antenna atop the ESB's mooring mast... I really wish it were logistically possible to take all that crap off the top (and still keep all the connections it serves?). It looked especially beautiful and super-clean-cut in the 1930's:

Forum Veteran

Everything looks especially clean-cut when it's brand new. Now that ESB has some years on it, it has character.

That's why I'm particularly excited about 15 CPW; when that Indiana limestone (the same they used on ESB) gets a little weathered in the next 20 years, it'll still look great, if not better.

The Empire State Building draped in the colors of the Dominican Republic flag.

Sky-High Vacancy Rate At Empire State Building

NY 1
    March 13, 2006

http://www.ny1.com/ny1/content/index...id=1&aid=57763#

According to Crain's New York Business, the vacancy rate at the 75-year-old Empire State Building is 18 percent.

That's up from just one-point-seven percent in 2000, even though the rent is nearly 25 percent below the average Midtown rate.

The paper says problems include cramped offices, old infrastructure and fears that the building could be a target for terrorists.

Crain's says the main reason could be the strained relationship between Wien & Malkin, which represents the owners, and Helmsley Spear Inc., which handles marketing. The two sides have been fighting in court for control of the building since co-owner Harry Helmsley died in 1997.

Copyright © 2006 NY1 News.

^The owners are damn lucky they got contrackts with tenants. Everyone was trying to relocate out of the building right after 9/11, and many still do.

Wink Empire State- Was Waldorf-Astoria

To Those N.Y. Historians:

I am the great grandson of Henry B. Ely, whose father was Secretary of the New York Stock Exchange from 1873-1919 with a break and the youngest Captain of the New York Seventh Reigment. Henry B. Ely built the Astoria Hotel where the Empire State Building stands today. This was completed in 1897 and the opening act was Rosemary with actors/actresses Maud Adams, John Drew and Ethel Barrymore performing.

Ely's grandfather by marriage, Abner Bartlett was a trustee of the Astor Estate. Abner was responsible for naming "The Waldorf" Hotel for William Waldorf Astor in 1894 which was built before "The Astoria. Hotel" by Ely. Abner was proposing subways to William Whitney in the 1880s. A very distant cousin Alfred Ely Beach built the very first subway in New York City in 1870.

My grandpa James Harold Adamson built "Larchmont Shores" from granite rock from the New York subways in the 1920s. James' son Harold Adamson earn his last Academy Award nomination (5) in the mid 1950s when he wrote the song "An Affair To Remember."

A test will be given in two weeks.

Bruce C. Adamson -- producer of http://barrymorefamily.com

and http://ciajfk.com

Page 11 of 39 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast