Page 32 of 39 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Empire State Building - 350 Fifth Avenue @ 34th Street - by Shreve, Lamb and Harmon

^^^ Thanks. I'd think about a Chrysler, but this tower has been such an intense pain in the ass that I'm in no way eager to jump into something that throws in an angled faced (on the east side of the podium) and the spire which is angled or curved in all 3 dimensions, in addition to all the little exacting issues ESB has.

If someone has a set of blueprints for Chrysler...I'd consider it. Without them...I'm not sure I could deal with the headache.

This has turned out to be a much more involved project than I first expected. I was anticipating finishing this up on Sunday while watching the playoffs, but now think it will take me to this weekend to finish it all up. It will take the next day or two to finish up the base before I go on and complete the crown.

Good proportions are everything, eh?

A real beauty, in life and virtually.

Yeah, but all those antennas really ugly up the top compared to the building's (IMO) prime in the 50's and 60's after NBC installed the 270 foot antenna on top of the mast. Could be worse though. I've got a NY Times article sitting around here somewhere with the 150 foot extension (intended to out-top the World Trade Center) to the top. Tear down the mast and upper floors, put in a sky lobby and 20-30 floors with floor to ceiling glass. Like Hearst Tower, but illconceived and 900 feet up. In fact, I might just do a version of that...

Quote Originally Posted by STR View Post
    Yeah, but all those antennas really ugly up the top compared to the building's (IMO) prime in the 50's and 60's after NBC installed the 270 foot antenna on top of the mast. Could be worse though. I've got a NY Times article sitting around here somewhere with the 150 foot extension (intended to out-top the World Trade Center) to the top. Tear down the mast and upper floors, put in a sky lobby and 20-30 floors with floor to ceiling glass. Like Hearst Tower, but illconceived and 900 feet up. In fact, I might just do a version of that...
    Haha what the hell? Interesting find.

Any chance you have a link to that NY Times article? I've done an extensive search of the Times website and haven't found it.

Oh, you have to have paid access to their archives. Only place I know with full access (pre-1980) is my local community college. Since it's land grant, and I pay taxes, I'm entitled to a library card. I just have to go down and get it. I had posted the article a couple years back on SSC, but the scan was lost when imageshack was hacked a couple of years back.

Still, most of them made it. If you want to see the announcements of Woolworth, 40 Wall, Chrysler and ESB, head on over for a read.
    http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=157557

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    Any chance you have a link to that NY Times article? I've done an extensive search of the Times website and haven't found it.
    I've seen the images. I've been spending half the day trying to find them online. It came to light again when the former FT was announced. The sleuthing continues.

Edit: Here is the article from NYTimes archive http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstra...8BD95F468785F9

No images though...as STR mentioned you need an account to see the full article. Still lookin'

Thanks. I try not to pay to read the Times if I can avoid it

Found this from 2002 (how great it would be to get our hands on the "exploratory sketches" from Shreve, Lamb & Harmon):

Landmark: Don't Change a Thing

By Iwona K. Hoffman

The Empire State Building held the title of the world's tallest building until the early 1970s, when it was surpassed first by the World Trade Center (at 416 meters), then by the Sears Tower in Chicago (at 443 meters), and later by the Petronas Towers in Malaysia (at 452 meters).

In 1972 Empire State Building Associates, then owner of the 102-story building, was thinking about adding 11 floors to the skyscraper to make it again the tallest in the world. Shreve, Lamb & Harmon, original architects of the Empire State Building, drew up exploratory sketches. The tower of the building (16 floors) was to be torn down. The six floors beneath were to be remodeled and encompassed within a new 33-story-tall glass structure. The building would have been 113 stories high.

Most architects today like the building the way it is and would not change much about it.

COMMENTS FROM ARCHITECTS

Here's something from a book called Empire: A Tale of Obsession, Betrayal, and the Battle for an American Icon By Mitchell Pacelle (Page 119, and it continues ) ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ESB_Pacelle_P119.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	12056

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ESB_Pacelle_P120.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	12057

Found a pic.....not sure if it's the same one from the NYTmes article:

http://www.archpaper.com/e-board_rev.asp?News_ID=3234

that would have been a travesty!
    (nice find )

o m g

it hurts to even look at those

There was a cute New Yorker cartoon that depicted the Port Authority designers creating a unified spire for the World Trade Center in response to the above design, but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAG View Post
    Found a pic.....not sure if it's the same one from the NYTmes article:

http://www.archpaper.com/e-board_rev.asp?News_ID=3234

You found it! That's a scan from the original times article. I believe the one on the right was the "finalist," though as stated above it was more of a study than anything serious enough that someone went looking for money to build it.

I think I do a facsimile of the UN Plaza towers, since they're from the same era as this would have been. Though, I could do a level house/chase manhattan or Seagram building-ish look too. I'm open to opinions.
    Last edited by STR; January 28th, 2011 at 12:03 AM.