Page 34 of 39 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: Empire State Building - 350 Fifth Avenue @ 34th Street - by Shreve, Lamb and Harmon

I got this great view from Greeley Square And sorry this may not be the best place to post it, but I can only post from my phone, not my computer could someone help?

Started back on the Empire model. Somewhat surprised that I hadn't touched this thing since January. Then I dug back in and remember exactly why I hadn't touched it since January. The hardest part, however, appears to be done. The tower floors and facade details are measured out, all I have to add is the mast (which has more repeating details and is thus quicker to build) and the 5th Ave frontage (which is largely a copy of the long streetwalls). Having learned a few tricks since starting this, I'm going from top to bottom and fixing things up as well as adding details, like the reeds.

Full Size

Full Size

Current Progress
    Last edited by STR; August 30th, 2011 at 07:42 PM.

STR, I know this is a well worn theme on the forum...but again, your work is fantastic. Thank you.

The cool thing about modelling a building that still/already exists, is that it gives you an opportunity to zoom in on details that can't be seen from the street. The top of this building is its most intricate section.

Your detailing is fantastic. Of course it helps to have a masterpiece like the ESB to play with.

This building is ALL about the details. I kept wondering why certain numbers didn't add up, until I realized I missed a 2" setback on the 30th floor. I also redid the limestone material. A little cooler and darker, with a lot more close-up detail.

OLD

NEW, showing aforemention 30th floor setback.

Amazing! Is that setback required to fit the building within the sky-plane regulations of the old building code?

Or was it purely aesthetic?

I think it's a structural reason. I think they didn't need the outer wall to go as far because the columns (which are half embedded in the wall) slim up with height, because there's another 1-2" setback at the 55th floor (noticeable from the ground level as the particulularly high floor in the middle of the tower). That's way above the area limited by zoning at the time.

I don't think it's aesthetic, you can't see the 30th floor one, never mind the 55th. Though, the 30th floor setback does provide for a way to terminate the reeding at the base.

2" 55th story setback

Last edited by STR; September 2nd, 2011 at 06:56 PM.

They don't make 'em like that anymore...

^Yep. One of my favorite parts is how abstract art is integrated into the design of the building, as opposed to having art just planted in the lobby.

30th Floor crests, final version

Compared to 4WTC

3WTC

Roof detail, note this is the building as it was built in 1931. Later additions will be added later, as a way to switch the building between then and now.

Core of mast and study of the frosted glass in the crown.

For those that have ever wondered how they cram 16 floors into the mast of the Empire State Building: they didn't. They go from 86 to "AA", "BB", etc. until they get to GG, which is now called the 102nd floor. However, there's only 97 floors in the whole tower, counting the glorified stair landings in the mast. 98 if you include a small walkway that's in the actual cone at the top.

General arrangement of mast.

Progress as of now, it may not seem like a lot compared to the update posted a week or so ago, but note that I pretty much redid the entire tower portion of the building with details that don't show up too well when this zoomed out.

I never realized how big an effect those wings at the corners of the spire have on the ESB. It just ain't the same without em.

^Those wings were a pain in the ass. You'd think, at first glance, they were 45* off center, like the rest of the mast detailing. Instead they're some odd angle which meant 4 times the work.

Youve out done yourself this time! The detail all the way down to each block of limestone, this is a reference piece for sure.

^Eh...the actual placement of limestone blocks isn't particularly accurate at this moment. It's more of a general idea at this time. The rest of the building is accurate down to somewhere in the 1/4 inch range.

Just have to punch out the portholes above the "103rd" floor and the mast is pretty much done.