Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Progress of Temporary PATH Station in WTC 'Tub'

The pavilion over the temporary PATH entrance has a striking presence on Church Street. I'll have to get better photos of it, but in the meantime, a glimpse inside the station which will reopen in a couple of weeks...

PATH WTC system

JERSEY JOURNAL...

PATH station at WTC to open Sunday

By Jason Fink
    Journal staff writer

More than two years after the PATH station beneath the World Trade Center was obliterated in the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, a new terminal will open Sunday, restoring service to Lower Manhattan in what will be the first major step in a long rebuilding process.

The temporary station - a permanent World Trade Center stop will open in 2006 - will be a bare-bones operation, lacking the sprawling retail space of the old station, but it will provide the first rail link into Lower Manhattan from New Jersey since the attacks. It will accommodate up to 50,000 daily riders, according to the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which operates the system.

It will also serve as a crucial link to Jersey City's Downtown business district, with trains running from the Exchange Place station on the waterfront, which re-opened in June. Direct service to Lower Manhattan from Hoboken will also be restored.

Before Sept. 11, 2001, approximately 67,000 people boarded trains at the WTC station on weekdays. But with none of the office space planned for the WTC site yet built, ridership at the temporary station is expected to be well below what it was before.

The $323 million temporary station, financed by a combination of federal and Port Authority funds, as well as insurance proceeds, was built in about 16 months. Trains will run into the "pit" of Ground Zero, with an entrance at street level.

"When the temporary World Trade Center PATH station opens on Nov. 23, it will become the first public space to open within the World Trade Center site," said Anthony Coscia, board chairman of the Port Authority. "For the first time since the horrible and heroic events of Sept. 11, 2001, the general public will be able to walk the site."

The permanent station will be part of the proposed World Trade Center Transportation Hub and will include underground connections to three New York City subway lines and other pedestrian connections to several more, as well as access to ferry terminals along the Hudson River.

NY POST...

THE PATH TO REBUILDING

November 23, 2003 -- Anyone trying to measure 9/11's impact on New York's economy - and, particularly, its transportation infrastructure - should take a trip to Ground Zero today and witness a truly historic event: the resumption of PATH train service to New Jersey.

Two years, two months and 12 days after the last PATH train fled the World Trade Center - rescuing passengers moments before the Twin Towers collapsed - that very same train will return to the site to mark the opening of a new station and the renewal of Lower Manhattan's cross-Hudson link.

What, then, did the terrorists accomplish in that regard?

For hearty New York commuters, barely more than a service interruption.

Heck, routine track work on some subway lines can take more than two years.

Such a view, of course, is by no means meant to trivialize what happened on 9/11 - the most catastrophic attack ever on U.S. soil.

Nor to minimize even the setback for commuters and commerce.

Jersey riders have been seriously inconvenienced for 26 months. This has hampered vital commercial activity in Gotham's economic epicenter.

The cost of the new station, not even counting other track work, ran more than half a billion bucks. And it's only temporary; plans for a permanent facility won't even be ready until next spring.

But, again, keep things in perspective: When the final station - to be designed by world-class architect Santiago Cala- trava - is complete, it is sure to be spectacular.

Indeed, in terms of infrastructure, New York likely will be far ahead of where it would have been without the impetus of 9/11 rebuilding.

To wit:

* In addition to the PATH station, a Fulton Street transportation hub is already on the drawing board.

* A brand new skyscraper is rising at 7 World Trade Center.

* Freedom Tower - Ground Zero's 1,776-foot (or more) centerpiece - will break ground by summer.

* Eight candidate designs for a 9/11 memorial were unveiled last week, with a finalist to be chosen by year's end.

Beyond that, there are numerous hints of rebirth, renewal - normalcy.

Many firms have made final decisions to stay in the area. Others that originally left have returned.

And, best of all, Wall Street is headed for a record-profit year.

Take that, Osama!

Make no mistake: We're not entirely thrilled with every aspect of redevelopment at Ground Zero.

And, of course, the pace of rebuilding might have been quicker.

But New Yorkers are famous for their disagreements; the good news is that Gotham's bickering hasn't stalled efforts more than it already has.

Anyway you look at it, the completion of the new PATH station is tremendous testament to New York's, and America's, resilience. It's something to be proud of.

Finally! The WTC station has reopened and life returns to the heart of the WTC site. It seems that the world is being made right again, as a vital piece of the NY transportation network has been restored. And its the site of the restoration that makes it esciting - at the heart of the pit.

Now, everyday life returns to the site for the first time since 9/11. Everything is exactly where it was. Going down into the tracks it would have been easy to think that 9/11 didn't happen and the station wasn't damaged. Although the mall is gone, and the lower level food court is gone its the service that's important.

Take a look...

The new escalator bank is where it was, its just new. In fact, everything is new except the train cars, and those are going to be replaced soon...

Imagine Midtown without Penn Station or Grand Central. That's the effect felt Downtown without the PATH terminal. The Port Authority has done a great job with what is now a bare, outdoor station. The only thing missing were the signs for the Newark or Hoboken trains, but they ran where they always did. I was aware the tracks would be in the bottom of the "pit", but its still surprising to see just how close you are to the surroundings.

From the Newark platforms, some inspirational quotes for New Yorkers (and Jerseyans)...

Service is free until midnight. Everyone should visit the station, and witness the rebirth of the WTC.

The PATH Station Reopens

There are other noticable improvements to the area. The Vesey pedestrian bridge is open, although a few finishing touches remain. Vesey St had a new wider sidewalk, and there are bases installed for light poles.
    Liberty St looks more like a street. The firefighters are back home at Engine 10/Ladder 10. A buffet style deli (Essex World Cafe I think) reopened near the Burger King. I don't know if it's the same owner, but the old place made great sandwiches.

I got to the station about 01:30. The rest of the site had the normal tourist activity, who were unaware of the significance of what was going to happen, but the crowd waiting for the station to open were especially quiet.

Many of the PAPD officers were in dress uniform, right down to white gloves, and eager to engage in conversation.

Between the station and the tunnel, there are good views of the bathtub.

This experience was very emotional and uplifting. I'll echo NYGuy - with all the frustrating nonesense that has accompanied the rebuilding, you should all come down here and witness a great achievement.

The PATH Station

Excellent photos, as usual.

November 23, 2003

OUR TOWNS

Next Stop, the Trade Center, and Memories of the Last Ride Out

By RICHARD LEZIN JONES

HE'S glad that they kept the name. World Trade Center. Others will no doubt disagree, but Richie Moran believes the greatest memorial at the PATH station opening today at the heart of ground zero and bearing a hauntingly familiar name will be the sight of trains rolling in and out again.

And Mr. Moran knows a thing or two about trains. For more than two decades, he has worked in the office of the PATH system's train master, helping to move more than a quarter-million people though the system's 13 stations every day. But since Sept. 11, 2001, he has become known for bringing the system to a propitious stop.

On the morning of the terror attack, Mr. Moran helped lead a team of Port Authority employees who rerouted trains heading for the PATH station beneath the trade center. They also quickly organized a rescue train that carried about a dozen people to safety from lower reaches of the complex while the towers burned above.

It was Mr. Moran, working from his office in Jersey City, who told a conductor to gather up passengers he had unloaded at the station minutes after the first plane struck. Those passengers were taken back to New Jersey. Another conductor, whose train carrying about 1,000 people was already rumbling through the tunnels to the trade center as the attack began, got orders from Mr. Moran to proceed through the station without stopping.

The nimble decisions by Mr. Moran and his co-workers saved hundreds of lives, Port Authority officials say. And while Mr. Moran nods gently in affirmation when his actions on that bleak morning are recalled, he deflects any talk that he did anything more than what was expected of him.

"It was an effort by everybody," said Mr. Moran, 55, a resident of Toms River, N.J., who has been the senior stationmaster at PATH for six years. "There were so many people who did so much to move those trains that day."

One of them was Victoria Cross Kelly, then deputy director of PATH. She was preparing for a morning meeting on the trade center's concourse on Sept. 11 when she noticed a surge of activity and followed crowds up to the street level.

"People were running," Ms. Kelly recalled on Friday. "A lot of police were at the top of escalators telling people what to do. I wasn't really sure what had happened."

Nevertheless, Ms. Kelly, a veteran of almost three decades with the Port Authority, returned to the concourse, where she found a black emergency phone that connected her with Mr. Moran's office.

Don't let any more passengers off at the World Trade Center, she warned. Within moments, Mr. Moran went to work shutting down the system that he has spent most of his three-decade career maintaining.

ONE of the most difficult tasks was arranging the rescue train, which faced an unusual challenge: a homeless man who was asleep on the platform and refused to move.

"He said, `I can't get him up, we need the police,' " Mr. Moran said, recalling his conversation with the train's conductor. "I told him, `I don't think you're going to get the police.' "

With some coercion, the man was put aboard the train. About two hours after Ms. Kelly's call, the roughly 30 trains on the line had all been stopped, Mr. Moran said.

It was only then that he gave himself a moment to reflect on the morning. "I went outside, and my hands were shaking," Mr. Moran said. "I didn't even realize it."

Then, he said, he went back to work. The trains were running again by 4:30 that afternoon. At home, Mr. Moran, an Air Force veteran who served in Vietnam, experienced a sensation he hadn't felt since the war.

"I woke up with that same sense of dread that I used to get," he said. "Over there, you could say `one less day' because you knew you were going home, but with this you were already home."

On Friday, Mr. Moran visited the site of the rebuilt PATH station, where he and other officials are to take a ceremonial "first ride" today.

As he walked along the platform at the new station bearing an old name, he said his thoughts often turned to Sept. 11, to those who were saved and those who were lost.

"I was walking through the tunnels down here, and I went home and told my wife about it," he recalled. "She said, `Did you hear any voices?' I said, `I heard all of them.' "

Copyright 2003 The New York Times Company

November 24, 2003

Again, Trains Put the World in Trade Center

By DAVID W. DUNLAP

The canopy and entrance to the redone PATH station at ground zero, looking east across Church Street and down Fulton Street.

And yesterday, the people returned to ground zero.

Not those who were impelled to work there or compelled to grieve there, but the many more who have been waiting. People without passes and badges, hard hats and breathing masks; people with no more credentials than curiosity or longing. Or the simple desire to spend a beautiful afternoon in the city on the Sunday before Thanksgiving.

The World Trade Center PATH Station opened at 2 p.m. after a $323 million, 16-month reconstruction, to applause and tears along the platforms and aboard the trains. On the sides of the cars, ruby-red "WTC" destination signs glowed once again.

For the first time since the morning of Sept. 11, 2001, ground zero throbbed with ordinary life and resonated with hundreds of vibrant voices.

"I'm making part of history right now," Robert Conard of Silver Spring, Md., said into his cellphone just before 2 p.m., as he was swept with the crowd under the winged entrance canopy on Church Street and into a succession of open-air spaces leading to train platforms 70 feet below ground.

Those pouring in from upstairs met and mingled with passengers getting off the first trains to link Lower Manhattan with New Jersey in more than two years. Before the attack, PATH, the Port Authority Trans-Hudson commuter rail system, carried 67,000 passengers a day home from the World Trade Center.

Since then, commuters have struggled with alternate, round-about routes that have included taking PATH trains that come into Manhattan farther uptown or switching to ferry service. So this morning's rush hour will surely eclipse yesterday's opening.

But that was lively enough. As destinations were announced by a worker with a megaphone "Journal Square and Newark, track No. 4!" "Track 3 for Hoboken!" a sea of dark winter coats surged through bright gray and shimmering silver rooms. The spaces are surprisingly luminous and generous in their proportions. But because so much of the station is intended to be temporary, it is deliberately spartan in details, with concrete and exposed steel where there once was travertine.

Wind-breaking screens wrap the main rooms, so the view of ground zero changes under different light conditions from misty to gauzy. It is the first time the public has been able to look around the trade center foundations from within the giant bathtub formed by the rugged slurry walls.

Elsewhere, on interior walls, are giant photographs of Lower Manhattan, accompanied by graphics showing the pattern of streets and skyline. The single amenity is a Hudson News stand on the mezzanine.

A permanent $2 billion PATH station is being designed by Santiago Calatrava, a Spanish architect whose bridges and terminals have been likened to poetry. It is to begin serving passengers in 2006. Like the current station, it will be linked with numerous subway lines.

On "PATH Hill," the broad bank of eight escalators from the mezzanine to the concourse, a defining feature of both the old and new stations, a woman could be overheard explaining to disbelieving companions as they ascended: "There was absolutely nothing here. Nothing. Everything is absolutely new."

Not quite everything. About 50 feet of travertine flooring and six shallow travertine steps from the old World Trade Center concourse can still be found in the vestibule between the station and the E train platform.

Keeping them was "the right thing to do," said Robert I. Davidson, chief architect of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, who designed the station, working with the engineer Jerrold Dinkels and the Pentagram studio.

There were those in the crowd yesterday, many of them relatives of victims of the Sept. 11 attack, who worried that the Port Authority was not keeping enough, because of its plans to expand the station over more of the twin towers' footprints. Some were also angered that the Port Authority was keeping too much: the World Trade Center name, unmodified, as if the towers themselves were still there.

But Patrick Rodriguez, who was on his way to Newark, said he approved of the name. "I think it should be the World Trade Center because I grew up in New York City all my life," he said, "and that was part of our history they took away from us." Mr. Rodriguez also recalled trips he used to take on PATH to see his father in Jersey City. The screech of the trains as they made the sharp turn into the station brought back memories for many riders, including Agnieszka Warenica, who boarded the train at Journal Square in Jersey City. "I felt like I was coming back after a long time," she said. "I felt like I was home."

Amanda Valdes of Bayonne, N.J., got off the train from Exchange Place in Jersey City wiping tears from her eyes. When she arrived at the base of PATH Hill, she gasped at the familiarity of it all. "Oh, my God," she whispered to her friend, Kelly Gallagher. "They should have done something different."

"I wasn't prepared," she said. "I thought I would be."

Senator Jon S. Corzine of New Jersey, who spent 15 years commuting on PATH when he was a Wall Street executive, may have come closest to explaining why the reopening of the World Trade Center station was such a potent event. "The connection of the ordinary days of our lives with the extraordinary events of that day will never be separated," he said.

Though a case of the flu kept Gov. George E. Pataki from attending the opening, he spoke in an interview on Friday about what goes through his mind when he visits the station, looking up into the void where the twin towers stood.

"You just think of the people who were up there on Sept. 11," he said. "Friends. Heroes. So many who did not have the chance to get on that train."

The train he referred to was the last one out of the World Trade Center on Sept. 11. It was used yesterday for the ceremonial first trip back.

In the second car, No. 801, were Gov. James E. McGreevey, Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg, Mr. Corzine and Senator Frank R. Lautenberg of New Jersey.

They boarded at Exchange Place and heard a two-tone signal at 11:05, accompanied by a voice over the loudspeaker: "Next stop on this train will be the World Trade Center. Next stop, World Trade Center."

Halfway through the mile-long journey came an ever-so-slight pause, prompting Mr. McGreevey to remark, "We wanted a very realistic experience," as he recalled being stuck on a malfunctioning PATH train during the Christmas holidays one year.

"But it's not going to happen today," he added quickly.

"Well, no technology works all the time," Mayor Bloomberg said.

In a moment, the train emerged from the cast-iron tube into daylight. Through windows behind the governor and mayor, the spectacle of ground zero unfolded, as if the train were emerging from a cliff side. As it rounded its way to the platform, the slurry wall of the trade center foundation came clearly into view, as did the long ramp leading into the site from Liberty Street.

(As it happened, Mr. Bloomberg was prescient. Later in the day, a Hoboken-bound car dislodged a communications cable, forcing the temporary suspension of Hoboken service from the trade center station until about 4:15. "We're working out the bugs in the system," said Michael P. DePallo, the director and general manager of PATH.)

One of the first passengers to alight on Track 3 yesterday was Christy Ferer, the mayor's liaison to families of Sept. 11 victims. Her husband, Neil D. Levin, the executive director of the Port Authority, was killed in the attack. His successor at the authority, Joseph J. Seymour, has presided over the reconstruction.

"I'm in awe of the Port Authority because in 16 months they did what they do best: build and engineer," Ms. Ferer said as she looked around the new concourse. Then, recalling her husband, she added, "He'd be very proud to see this organization kick into gear.

"No, let me take that back. I think he'd have expected no less."

People getting off a train at the newly reopened World Trade Center PATH station.

November 25, 2003

At Ground Zero, a Stream of Commuters and Tears

By MICHAEL LUO

The PATH train lurched around a bend and emerged from the darkness of a cast-iron tube into the morning sun. Reaching for her husband's arm, Carol Webster, 60, turned to face the exposed guts of ground zero for the first time.

Together, Mrs. Webster and her husband, Morris, took in the slurry wall and the tangle of equipment on the floor of the pit as it inched past. All around them, other rush-hour commuters craned their necks to gape. Mr. Webster, who had tagged along with his wife to lend moral support, whispered a reassurance to her, "When you fall off a horse, you have to get right back on." She nodded but kept her hand on his arm.

Yesterday, on a morning that proved at once painful and uplifting, downtown workers streamed into the heart of the former World Trade Center site for its first rush hour since the terrorist attack on Sept. 11, 2001. For more than two years, Mrs. Webster, assistant director of admissions at Alliance Theological Seminary, has avoided ground zero, even though her office is just blocks away in Lower Manhattan. The last time she was there was when she stepped off the PATH station escalators to the concourse just as the first plane slammed into the north tower. With a stampede of others, she ran for the exits, dodging cascading debris and panicked people. The memories of what she saw outside people burning, pieces of airplane falling from the sky haunt her. Yesterday morning, it flooded back as she returned to the rebuilt World Trade Center station, which officially opened on Sunday.

"I didn't expect the openness of it," Mrs. Webster said. "I thought I could walk upstairs and choose to look at it or not."

The station is only temporary. The concourse level that used to bustle with stores is cavernous. It is enclosed by latticework and semiopaque sheeting, adorned with inspirational quotations, that only partly obscure the surrounding trade center bathtub. Although many commuters said yesterday's rush hour was a step toward normal life in Lower Manhattan, many also said normal was close to impossible here.

As workers charged up the escalators and out of the station yesterday, a woman in the concourse gripped a latticework wall and wept. Outside, a woman waited patiently for her husband to arrive on the next train, because they never ride the same train to work anymore.

Numbers on how many rode yesterday will not be available until today, but commuters and Port Authority officials said the figures were much lower than before Sept. 11. Officials pointed out that yesterday was the start of a holiday week and that many of those who used to come through worked at the World Trade Center. They are expecting 20,000 to 30,000 commuters a day by the end of next year, compared with the 67,000 who used to come through.

At 6:30 a.m., before the main rush began pouring through, the station was mostly deserted. A gaggle of police officers stood watch on the mezzanine level, and Maria Gutierrez, manager of the Hudson News, bustled about readying newspapers and tidying up her store. For two years, she has been working elsewhere, but this morning she was back home, around the same spot she where had worked for four years.

In stages, Port Authority workers switched on the array of escalators in the bank known as "PATH Hill." By 7:30 a.m., all eight were moving, groaning and creaking as they delivered growing numbers of commuters to the concourse, where they were greeted by the beeping of construction vehicles at the site.

As the Websters wandered through the concourse a half-hour later, Sean Coughlin, 40, got ready to board his train in Hoboken with a mixture of dread and anticipation.

Mr. Coughlin, a lawyer for Citigroup Global Markets, managed to flee to New Jersey on Sept. 11 aboard the last PATH train to leave the city that morning. After the attack, Mr. Coughlin, who lives in Montclair, N.J., joined the thousands who lined up for ferry service in Hoboken. He later switched to a New Jersey Transit Midtown Direct train, which meant a subway ride downtown. Both options were significantly slower than his old PATH route.

After disembarking yesterday morning, he walked slowly up the stairs, absorbing everything.

"It's all the same layout," he said. "Wow. The same, same thing."

Coming up to PATH Hill, he swiveled his head to look around, clearly stunned. At the top, like many others, Mr. Coughlin was taken aback by how exposed everything appeared. "I worked right over there," he said, pointing off to his left, where 7 World Trade Center once stood.

Also arriving from Hoboken were Anthony Gardner, Bruce DeCell and Patricia Reilly, all wearing yellow ribbons in memory of relatives killed on Sept. 11. Although only Mr. Gardner is from New Jersey, the three, members of the Coalition of 9/11 Families, rode in together yesterday to experience it. Afterward, they wandered to the side of the concourse and gazed down in silence.

By 9:15 a.m., the surge of commuters had begun to taper off, and Lori Manning and her husband, Harlan Greenberg, rode up the escalators, with Ms. Manning dabbing away tears. On Sept. 11, the couple was among several hundred commuters on the PATH train into the World Trade Center that was diverted to Christopher Street by some quick-thinking Port Authority workers. In the last two years, their hourlong commute stretched to two hours.

Even though they had been watching the construction at ground zero unfold from their offices and were eager for the station to reopen, they were not prepared for the close-up encounter with the site. As their train had rolled around the bend, Ms. Manning, along with a woman across from her, broke down. "It's different being in it," Ms. Manning said.

Yesterday on the PATH and at the stations you could hear people talking about how good it was to hear the words "World Trade Center" announced over the loudspeakers and used in real-life terminology again. It's not just a place talked about anymore, it's a place that we once again go to and use, and it feels good.

Oh my god I feel so emotional seeing the words 'WORLD TRADE CENTRE' on the entrance, but i also feel happy and proud at the same time.

Jersey Journal...

WTC station draws 20,000 PATH riders on first weekday

November 26, 2003
    By Jason Fink

About 20,000 people used the new World Trade Center PATH station Monday, the first weekday that the $323 million station was in use.

That number is within the range of what officials from the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which runs the rail system, had expected by the end of the first year of service, said Steve Coleman, a spokesman for the bi-state agency.

"We're pleasantly surprised at the number," Coleman said yesterday. "We think this is good for Lower Manhattan and the region."

The 250,000 square-foot temporary station, on the eastern edge of the 16-acre site where the Twin Towers once stood, was the first public facility to open since the buildings were destroyed on Sept. 11, 2001.

Though Monday's ridership was within the anticipated range, officials were surprised that the projection was reached on the first weekday of service.

The terminal, which is called the World Trade Center PATH Station, was built over 16 months on virtually the exact site as the station that was underneath the Twin Towers. Riders can look out the windows on their way into the station from New Jersey and see the construction work being done at Ground Zero as trains move through the bathtub, or foundation, of the Trade Center.

Built to move 50,000 daily riders through its four levels, the new station will be added onto over the next several years to create the permanent, $1.7 billion transit hub envisioned as part of the redeveloped Trade Center site. The permanent station is expected to be complete by 2006.

Initial Port Authority projections were that 20,000 to 30,000 people would use the station by the end of its first year and Coleman said yesterday that it will be hard to draw any conclusions about what the daily numbers will be for another month or so.

"We really won't have an accurate trend-kind of figure until after the holidays," he said.

NY Post...

PATH PLAN MAY DIM LIBESKIND'S TRIBUTE

By WILLIAM NEUMAN

January 2, 2004 -- The design for a new permanent PATH station at Ground Zero makes significant changes to Daniel Libeskind's World Trade Center master plan by moving the terminal building northward to overlap with the "Wedge of Light," sources told The Post.

Libeskind was shown Santiago Calatrava's PATH design earlier this month, in the midst of his highly public battle with architect David Childs over the Freedom Tower.

Port Authority officials feared Libeskind would reject the design, and told him it would be a blunder to start another fight, this time with Calatrava, a highly regarded architect, the sources said.

A source briefed on the encounter at Calatrava's Manhattan studio said the warning didn't stop Libeskind's wife and business partner, Nina, from initially objecting to Calatrava's changes - particularly his alterations to the Wedge of Light.

The Wedge, a key component of the master plan, is an open plaza centered on Fulton Street, which is designed so that shafts of sunlight will hit the adjoining office towers at key moments each Sept. 11.

But Libeskind disagreed with his wife, the source said, telling Calatrava he approved of the design.

"He loves it," said Libeskind's lawyer, Ed Hayes. "He thinks it fits perfectly into the master plan and has great vision."

Libeskind's original plan for the station showed it attached to the north side of a new Ground Zero office tower that would face Church Street, between Dey and Cortland streets.

Calatrava's proposal detaches the station building from the tower, allowing Dey Street to run between them as a pedestrian promenade, according to sources familiar with the design.

This pushes the station building north so that it partly overlaps with the Wedge of Light.

The move makes the office tower more attractive to developers, since it gives it a northern face on Dey Street for high-rent retail space.

The changes don't alter the basic principle of the Wedge.

Calatrava, who lives in Spain, is known for his aerodynamic glass and steel structures that seem to evoke motion with flowing, winged shapes.

The sources said his PATH design works along the same lines.

PA officials have embraced Calatrava, considered one of the world's foremost architects of transportation facilities, and they are enthusiastic about his design.

Lyon Airport Station

Images from http://www.calatrava.com/

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast