Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Time Warner Center @ Columbus Circle - by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill

September 18, 2003

Time Warner Drops 'AOL' From Its Name

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

NEW YORK -- Acknowledging the failures of the largest merger in U.S. history, the board of AOL Time Warner Inc. voted Thursday to remove the letters "AOL" from the company's name.

The largest media and entertainment company in the world will now be called Time Warner Inc., as it was before the merger announced on Jan. 10, 2000 that was billed as a way to jump-start a media revolution by combining "old" and "new" media companies.

"We believe that our new name better reflects the portfolio of our valuable businesses and ends any confusion between our corporate name and the America Online brand name for our investors, partners and the public," chief executive Richard Parsons said in a statement.

The name change will be phased in over the next several weeks, and will affect the company's logos, the way promotes its brands and even its ticker symbol, which is currently "AOL" but will revert to "TWX."

The change will also affect the name on the company's new headquarters building, a gleaming 80-story structure in Manhattan's Columbus Circle currently known as AOL Time Warner Center. The building is nearly complete and will be opened to its first occupant, the Mandarin Oriental Hotel, in the fall. Time Warner plans to move in next spring.

Copyright 2003 The New York Times Company

Banned Member

Was out over the weekend and stopped by this building site.

This building looks gorgeous. It was especially so on Saturday as the clouds floated quickly across bright blue skies - all reflected in the windows. Me and my buddy were surprised, but pleased, to see a rather large amount of admirers stopping all around Columbus Circle to study the building. This building has come out much better than anyone could have imagined and really transforms the circle into a destination - as anticipated.

when is the first public part of this building (shops, restaurants, even a lobby?) expected to open? I want to know when I can go inside this thing!

Hopefully, it'll be a better public space than an eye-catcher in the skyline.

Forum Veteran

The hotel will be open first from what I've heard.

I happen to like the building. It's definitely awesome when you're viewing it head-on. Is it a disappointment? To an extent; it's not exactly what we had hoped for in the renderings, but it's definitely better than the average NYC mixed-use project, or any project for that matter.

Better than the average is not good enough for this unique location.

Forum Veteran

It'll have to do. The crown could have been better, though.

Banned Member

I think as architecture this building design more than succeeded. It has all the grandeur the city was looking for as an anchor for Columbus Circle. As you approach it from 8th Avenue, you are naturally drawn around the Circle in front of it, because, as you circle, the building's angles continually change. Stand on any corner in the circle and it is totally different, yet equally impressive.

It remains to be seen how "welcoming" the building will be once the sidewalk is opened up and public spaces completed.

Considering the building envelope was 750 feet (max), Im not complaining as it has made an impact on the skyline.

Forum Veteran

Depends on the angle. From Jersey it's definitely impressive, as it is from LaGuardia. We also have to consider the elevation of the terrain there. It could seem like more thant 800 feet from certain vantage points.

The elevation there is 80' above sea level. Most midtown skyscrapers are about 40'-65' above sea level (most downtown skyscrapers are 10'-30' above sea level).

The glass is darker than I had hoped and from some angles it looks like a formidable wall, but from other angles it's very cool, especially from the street. I want to go inside!

Depends on the weather...

Forum Veteran

Wish the "crown" was gold (or a contracsting color), like in the rendering. You think that part will be lit up nicely, like Bear Stearns?

Forum Veteran

I don't see why not.

wow those pics are awesome, it makes that area look like its only seperate city somehow with the twins rising above the rest.

Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast