Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Proposed - Brooklyn Library for the Visual and Performing Arts - by TEN Arquitectos

Library Project In Brooklyn Scaled Back

APRIL 18TH, 2004

Plans for a visual and performing arts library in Brooklyn have reportedly been downsized.

The designs unveiled two years ago called for a 150,000-square-foot facility at Flatbush Avenue and Ashland Place.

Library officials had hoped to raise $120 million for the project. But a library spokesperson tells the New York Times that they have raised less than $15 million so far.

Now, developers only plan to spend about $70 million on a facility that will be about 40,000 square feet smaller.

And groundbreaking for the project has been pushed back from next year to 2006.

Copyright © 2004 NY1 News

Sad to hear that...

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by krulltime
    Sad to hear that...
    Ditto. :cry:

The library knew that they had set an extremely ambitious goal. For a year press clippings have revealed that fundraising had not taken off. Have inner politics and personalities sabotaged their efforts? Mere speculation. Lincoln Center and other NYC arts groups are having a difficult time shaking the trees to fund their extensive wish lists.

But I am saddened if Brooklyn misses this opportunity for an outstanding library complex set within an arts district that already is impressive and will only continue to expand. Let's hope that someone with deep pockets will come forward and have the charisma to inspire other heavy-weights to make this investment in Brooklyn.

Forum Veteran

Bloomberg, perhaps? His reputation as a philanthropist in cultural circles is no big secret.

Banned Member

I don't know how "sorry" I am to hear it. The renderings showed a building pressed to the edges of the property lines. I'm kind of surprised by how much the space has been reduced. If they justified a 120,000sf need, how can they possibly get by with 40,000sf?

Forum Veteran

It's being reduced by 40K, not going to be 40K.

Thursday, january 27, 6:30–9:30pm:

Architecture as Catalyst:
    Visual and Performing Arts Library
    by TEN Arquitectos

An exhibition presenting TEN Arquitectos’ design studies for Brooklyn Public Library’s Visual and Performing Arts Library. Selected through an international competition two years ago, this first New York project awarded to TEN marks a gateway to diverse arts resources and launches downtown Brooklyn’s new cultural district.

RSVP to rsvp@aiany.org or 212.683.0023 x 111
    Exhibition on view January 27 – April 16, 2005

Sponsors: Brooklyn Public Library, Cemusa, and Harlem Park

is this near the site of the nets new arena?

Forum Veteran

About 3 blocks away...

Quote Originally Posted by H-man
    is this near the site of the nets new arena?
    Same general area, you'll be able to see them both in the same vista! :P

Newer renderings. Looks airier and more transparent.
    http://www.ten-arquitectos.com/brooklyn.html

Banned Member

Very nice. Is this project "go" or "no-go"? I was walking into Manhattan yesterday via Flatbush and the stretch of Flatbush from BAM to State Street is pretty bad. The area is just trashed all the time and there is a worn down decrepit building for people needing public assistance in the middle of all of it. Just not very appealing. The city / state really need to provide facilities and environments for these people that are more respectful.

Interesting redesign. I wish there were higher resolution images, though.

Default yesh

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider
    Very nice. Is this project "go" or "no-go"? I was walking into Manhattan yesterday via Flatbush and the stretch of Flatbush from BAM to State Street is pretty bad. The area is just trashed all the time and there is a worn down decrepit building for people needing public assistance in the middle of all of it. Just not very appealing. The city / state really need to provide facilities and environments for these people that are more respectful.
    They should just demolish all of the public assistance buildings that make this whole downtown brooklyn area so unappealing, why do you need to have this scurge in a up and coming area thats trying to come back? Why do you need these building at all? Can alll of these things be either a) outsourced for processing to india b)moved online completely getting rid of this self fulfilling prophecy which just degrades people?

My family moved to new york in 1993 from Saint Petersburg (not florida) , one of the most beautiful cities on earth and my mother a history teacher and my grandfather a violinist and a principal of a conservatory had the pleasure of having to go to these processing centers to apply for public assistance so we could get by for a few years until we could learn english and get jobs. I remember how horrible it was going down to these place...not only do they treat you like your inhuman scum but they dont have any concept of where you just came from and what you need. WHen filling various forms out and doing interviews they dont even bother to check the correct spelling etc. This experience sure as hell made me realise that in America you dont want to be poor, because the poor are nothing and nobody cares about you.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast