Thread: Peninsula Hotel

Default Peninsula Hotel

Architect: Hiss & Weeks

Year: 1905

Style: Neo-Italian Renaissance

Description: This building, formerly known as the Gotham hotel, was a pioneer of the skyscraper hotels. See below for details...

(Edited by ddny at 12:36 pm on Feb. 2, 2003)

Default Peninsula Hotel

Massive, rather intimidating and yet so refined.

I just had a look at your site. Very nice.

Default Peninsula Hotel

Very nice, i had to look at the site. *
    hm..looks a little similar to the seville building in Downtown Pensacola designed by J.R.R. Carpenter in 1910.
    Thanks.

Default Peninsula Hotel

Sometimes it's like watching the Louvre. Especially the 2nd and 3rd pictures.

Default Peninsula Hotel

The Peninsula Hotel seems to be about 19 floors, maybe 20. It's pretty high enough that there is no need to stack more floors on it. Its masonry and style, of course, is excellent. It's antique yet adaptable to any era, much like the city itself.

I gotta note that there is a height limit of 10 floors (which was voted into law in 1970 after a POPULAR REFERENDUM) in the city proper of Paris. If we were to stack the Peninsula into the city, people there would probably be screaming out "This is too tall!" "The tower will become a target for terrorists!" "It will ruin our great city!" yadda yadda.

(Edited by Agglomeration at 6:38 pm on Feb. 2, 2003)

Forum Veteran

Default Peninsula Hotel

Yeah, there aren't many tall buildings in Paris, aside from the Eiffel Tower, of course, and the Tour Montparnasse, which is about 700 feet tall—modest by New York standards. *Then it drops down to some hotel that's about 425 feet tall. *Most of the area's major skyscrapers are at La Defénse, which is in the suburbs of Paris, in two or three sattelite cities.

Well, you have to give the Parisians their due. *Paris is obviously thousands of years older than New York and its people want to retain as much of their history as possible. *European cities tend to preserve their history, and so doing build in such a way as to not interfere with that historic context.

New York, although it does not completely lack history, looks pretty young if you put it next to Paris. *We feel less of an incentive to preserve because of that comparatively shorter history. *Much of the city's oldest surviving architecture dates from the mid-1800s (e.g.: City Hall, Federal Hall, Fort Jay, Castle Clinton) and many of its early skyscrapers have since been demolished, with notable exceptions like the American Tract Society and Park Row Buildings.

(Edited by TLOZ Link5 at 5:15 pm on Feb. 3, 2003)

Default Peninsula Hotel

I thaught it was built as the annex of the St.Regis.

Default Peninsula Hotel

Quote: from elsonic on 12:29 pm on Feb. 4, 2003
    I thaught it was built as the annex of the St.Regis.
    I am not sure how that would be, since it's bigger than the St. Regis, and is across the street.