Phone: 212. 294. 2940
    Fax: 212. 294. 2941
    Email: mga@m-ga.com
    www.m-ga.com

Project:
    Manhattan Mid-Town Ferry Terminal and Tower
    Owner / Client: *
    Hudson River Navigation Company

Check out the AIANY site and check out the winners and entries for their 2002 awards.
    \http://www.aiany.org/designawards/2002/index.htm

Default Westside Ferry Terminal and Tower

I like it, it adds a little distinction to the area....

I love the irregular shape. *New York has a precious few buildings that are this unique. *I really hope it gets built, as it would really light up the Hudson waterfront.

The location is key at that critical access point to midtown and the West Side coming off the GW Bridge. It will be an enormous improvement. Cool!

Forum Veteran

Looks good - develop the area in style, so the skyline on the West Side is much more impressive.

Is this gonna get built?

Also, it was great to see so many NYC projects and even more NYC architects on that link. *LOVE IT!

Very nice looking building. It'll work well at the south end of Trump's Riverside west.

Forum Veteran

How tall is it going to be?

Derek:
    Building looks good, but is this going to happen? The pier on the north side of the terminal is pier 98, used for Con Ed fuel delivery.

For now the plan is still on the drawing board. Once they are shown to the public, the developers should be prepared for "the building will destroy our neighborhood!" hate-spewing from TEDAO's (Tear Everything Down at Once) based in the West Side.

(Edited by Agglomeration at 8:58 pm on Feb. 4, 2003)

Here is one year-old view of the block from 57th Street. The middle of the block was cleared for NY CyberCenter. However the project is on hold since 9/11.

The demolition underway to clear the way for the NY CyberCenter. 17 February 2002.

The building on the East side of the block, the northwest corner of 57th Street and Eleventh Avenue, is currently being demolished. A 37-story rental apartment building called the Helena is going to be built on the site.

Across 57th Street, the Department of Sanitation building that is located between 55th and 57th Streets at West Side Highway is being demolished. I am curious what is going to be built there. Here is a photograph of the place on 21 December 2002.

hah, looks like the bow of a ship. I like it

Edward, I love how you got the no pedestrian sign on that ramp in the picture =P Were you on foot?

I really like this proposal and how the whole area is changing, ya can really see it in the 2nd to last pic that Edward took. I'd love to see it built, and how it will look with Durst's Helena building once they are all done.

If ya notice, in the last overhead shot of the renderings, you see that the elevated Miller Highway has been demolished and moved in. Trump wanted this to go with his Riverside South project, but the city/state had spent a lot of $ to rebuild it in the early 90's. It would be great if it was done though, since Riverside Park would *be extended down to 59th St. :-)

Actually, the rendering shows the Miller Highway as a tunnel. The road shown above ground is the new Riverside Blvd, which is being built as part of Trump Place.

Trump wants the tunnel. The state/city don't want to spend the money to replace a 7 year old highway.

The park extension to 59 St will happen with or without a tunnel. An interim park is being built in stages as the development moves southward. There are two plans for the park once the development is complete; one with a tunnel, and one with the elevated highway.

I couldn't find anything online, but there is a sign at the construction site that explains it all.

Quote: from tugrul on 1:15 pm on Feb. 5, 2003

Edward, I love how you got the no pedestrian sign on that ramp in the picture =P Were you on foot?
    I left my bike chained downstairs - the shot is from the top of New York Passenger Ship Terminal. You can get to the top only when a cruise ship comes in, which is rare in winter. On that day Queen Elizabeth 2 was visiting New York.

Zippy, you're right. I hadn't kept up with this in a while, but I thought the new highway through Riverside South would be open-cut This page explains the idea well.

http://www.nycroads.com/roads/west-side/

Check out how old the rendering is on this page. The Riverside South towers look nothing like these!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast