Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Potential new large tower in Midtown (Roosevelt Hotel Site)

^
    2cc
    Last edited by ZippyTheChimp; July 13th, 2007 at 06:55 AM.

Forum Veteran

of the three, the Drake in my opinion is the biggest lose. While im a fan of this building, I do expect a decent tower to rise here, based on the two firms currently bidding to buy it. The Hotel Penn on the other hand is a mess and not that grand of a structure, thus I myself wont miss it

Landmarking is a political process. I'm sure that lots of campaign cash flows to influence this process.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnFlint1985 View Post
    On one hand, you've got some dubious structures all over the city that gets landmarked while many grander ones aren't.
    it is very possible that people who decide what to preserve are influenced by the Major or big business. So something that does not look good for prospective development - gets on the protected list. While real gems get the wrecking ball due to their high value, location, footprint and potential for future development.[/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by MikeW View Post
    Landmarking is a political process. I'm sure that lots of campaign cash flows to influence this process.

it is very possible that people who decide what to preserve are influenced by the Major or big business. So something that does not look good for prospective development - gets on the protected list. While real gems get the wrecking ball due to their high value, location, footprint and potential for future development.
    [/QUOTE]

Yep. I've seen the biggest garbage get protected. I remember Mayor Bloomberg going out to Williamsburg or closeby to protect the redevelopment of a shaddy warehouse because a few grumpy old men did not want to see the old factory/warehouse change the street scene they are used to seeing. Not to talk about the develop don't destroy brooklyn team opposing the Atlantic Yards which thankfully have not succeded yet. Geez.

I'd have to say, I would not be against demolition of these nice buildings if I liked the buildings going up, but I am constantly very dissappointed at what goes up. If these guys are going to put up blah, why can't they at least take down blah instead. There is more of that to take down around Manhattan. NYC should be built more grand than this.
    Last edited by Scraperfannyc; July 16th, 2007 at 09:20 PM.

Yep. I've seen the biggest garbage get protected. I remember Mayor Bloomberg going out to Williamsburg or closeby to protect the redevelopment of a shaddy warehouse because a few grumpy old men did not want to see the old factory/warehouse change the street scene they are used to seeing. Not to talk about the develop don't destroy brooklyn team opposing the Atlantic Yards which thankfully have not succeded yet. Geez.

I'd have to say, I would not be against demolition of these nice buildings if I liked the buildings going up, but I am constantly very dissappointed at what goes up. If these guys are going to put up blah, why can't they at least take down blah instead. There is more of that to take down around Manhattan. NYC should be built more grand than this.[/quote]

Nothing new about that. Landmark commision supposed to be filled with architects, art people - not politicians. Otherwise you only see one side of the medal. I went to the hotel on Saturday and look inside and around it. It needs some work, mainly dusting on the outside. But inside it reminds me Plaza hotel, maybe on a less grand scale. So in my mind there is no question that the hotel has to be preserved. I also visited Drake and Penn hotel. I am going to post pictures soon. Another matter is that developer may not live up to their promises on building as high as they say in the beginning. Looks at Drake site and the same maybe happening at Penn. I understand that they are trying to get the most out of their investment and as soon as possible, but someone should hold them responsible to their word. Otherwise we loose something which in my mind is a masterpiece and instead a get a pile of garbage.

Since the asking price for the Roosevelt is $1b, I don't see why someone doesn't pay a huge sum to buy a disgusting building like 530 5th Ave. and redevelop it.

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post
    Since the asking price for the Roosevelt is $1b, I don't see why someone doesn't pay a huge sum to buy a disgusting building like 530 5th Ave. and redevelop it.
    I have a hunch that Hotels are easy prey as many of these are being bought and torn down by developers. Nobody lives in them, and nobody leases them. I cannot think of any other reason.

I don't really see why this building should be landmarked, can anyone name anything exceptional about this? If this is considered, nearly everything built before 1940 in Manhattan should as well.

Perhaps there should be separate category for nice buildings, such as this, where their demolitions would require a certain approval that is dependent on the replacement's design.

If the Roosevelt is landmark, shouldn't these across the street be considered as well? There are dozens of these types of buildings.

It's the totality and consistency of the townscape, Derek. That was first compromised by the recladding of this hotel's brother on 42nd Street. The area is losing its character fast. The hotel is urbane and fits right in --just like the Pernnsylvania. I wouldn't mind if they added twenty or thirty stories on top.

I like your idea:
    Perhaps there should be separate category for nice buildings, such as this, where their demolitions would require a certain approval that is dependent on the replacement's design.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    If the Roosevelt is landmark, shouldn't these across the street be considered as well? There are dozens of these types of buildings.

Yes. They should be landmarked.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Derek, you've got to completely get rid of the notion that a landmark building has to have a lot of ornamentation or have some sort of characteristic that makes it completely unique. While these two attributes certainly make an ideal case for landmarking, they should not be the only criteria.

To me, the Roosevelt's (as well as the Pennsylvania and the Drake's) age and the stately presence it projects warrants preservation and even the LPC, according to their own definition, concurs:

The Landmarks Law requires that, to be designated, a potential landmark must be at least 30 years old and must possess "a special character or special historical or aesthetic interest or value as part of the development, heritage, or cultural characteristics of the city, state, or nation".
    It is a total shame and heartbreaking that those three beautiful hotels should go while this filthy Sheraton, as seen below above the red snowman ad, lives on.

Last edited by antinimby; July 20th, 2007 at 05:22 PM.

The photos also don't show the stately old interior lobby, which is really a great space of the sort they don't make anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post

It is a total shame and heartbreaking that those three beautiful hotels should go while this filthy Sheraton, as seen below above the red snowman ad, lives on.

I totally agree. The Hilton on 6th should be razed too.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

But of course, you know they wouldn't be. Ugly always manages to survive, at least in this snake-bitten city.

We lose the Pennsylvania, the Drake, the Roosevelt and gain a whole lot of McSams.

Yeah this place is getting more beautiful and classy with each passing day.

It disappoints me greatly that there are those don't see the greatness in a grouping of buildings like this. Isn't this the NYC we fell in love with? What do YOU personally get out of seeing this exotic Gotham landscape destroyed? And exotic it is.

You want to know what I think when I hear some of the stuff that I do on this forum?

I think: what do these kids eat? Do they appreciate art? Do they know fine things? Do they enjoy the theatre, opera... the classics in the arts?

Do they look up when they walk around the city? Looking is easy.... but do you SEE?

[/QUOTE]

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast