Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Potential new large tower in Midtown (Roosevelt Hotel Site)

I have to repost this again pixtures trouble
    Last edited by JohnFlint1985; July 22nd, 2007 at 11:19 PM.

The Roosevelt has been very well kept up (in the public areas anyway) and is beautiful inside.

Unfortunately the Hotel Penn lobby is a dump -- a match for a low-end mall somewhere near Topeka.

Hmm, to analogize this situation, it is like seeing old 1960's vintage mustang cars being replaced with new Hondas when there are alot more beat up ford taurus cars that could have been replaced instead. Yet, people love to see this happen on this forum.

Please clarify & expand upon this ^^^ statement ...

Not sure WTF you 're saying

^ Seems pretty clear to me. He's saying some folks on Wired New York favor replacing nice old buildings like the Roosevelt with up-to-date buildings of average merit, when there are plenty of desperately crappy buildings that could be replaced instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Scraperfannyc View Post
    Hmm, to analogize this situation, it is like seeing old 1960's vintage mustang cars being replaced with new Hondas when there are alot more beat up ford taurus cars that could have been replaced instead. Yet, people love to see this happen on this forum.
    No. I want to replace the old 1960's vintage mustang car with a Mercedes Benz SLR.

Though it often seems so, all future projects in this city aren't destined to be Hondas. We just need a way to guarantee this.

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc View Post
    ^ Seems pretty clear to me. He's saying some folks on Wired New York favor replacing nice old buildings like the Roosevelt with up-to-date buildings of average merit, when there are plenty of desperately crappy buildings that could be replaced instead.
    Of course older buildings in poor condition can be fixed up as well. Look at 90 West Street after 9/11. So much of the original detail needed to be replaced to it's original condition. It was in much worse condition than any of these hotels being torn down.

Of course , I am 100% for seeing magnificent new buildings go up. I keep mentioning Downtown NYC is keeping it's old vintage buildings in good condition, and it is building the most magnificent new buildings in NYC as well. I think Midtown needs to improve on both of these.

[QUOTE=Derek2k3;177883]No. I want to replace the old 1960's vintage mustang car with a Mercedes Benz SLR.

I would agree with this, however, I like to have my cake and eat it too. I want both.

London gets to rival (some claim surpass) NYC as the world's business and financial capital ...with out tearing apart it's historic center.

Why is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio View Post
    London gets to rival (some claim surpass) NYC as the world's business and financial capital ...with out tearing apart it's historic center.

Why is that?
    I strongly disagree. They have destroyed much of the City, both during the urban renewal area and in recent years. I don't understand why everyone always praises London office architecture. The typical London office building is a squat, brutalist bldg. from the postwar era. Recent years have seen some beautiful new buildings, but there's also lots of gimmicky crap that IMO will not age well.

Also, Midtown is not a "historic center". It was a residential district until the 1920's. I don't consider a 20th Century neighborhood to be a "historic center', equivalent to London's City or West End. The historic center of NYC is south of Midtown to the Battery, and is pretty well preserved.

Also, many of their trading floors are in Canary Wharf, which is equivalent to Jersey City and the overall Jersey waterfront, and workers generally dislike working in such isolated locations.

Finally, these are apples to oranges comparisons. In the UK, financial firms can only be in London. In The U.S., they can be anywhere, though IMO smart firms know they need a large presence in NYC.

I will be happy to see this dreary building demolished. This section of Madison was really tired looking until Bear Stears was built. To me, a new Foster, Pelli or even KPF would be icing on the cake.

If the 42nd/Madison S.L. Green site gets redeveloped, it will be even better.
    Last edited by ASchwarz; July 21st, 2007 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnFlint1985 View Post

A few pictures from Roosevelt hotel I made - for those never been inside it reminds Plaza hotel on a lesser scale.
    Your photos aren't loading for me, I'd love to see them. Anyone else having this problem?

dan c

I can't see them either

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Unhappy

Me either.

hmmm ... I can see them all, clear as day

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Question

Which browser do you use?

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast