Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: MetLife (Pan Am) Building - 200 Park Avenue

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffreyny
    I never knew this building was compared to the Pirelli Building in Milan.
    I can see the resemblance but Metlife is winner, handsdown in my opinion.

We've got a building in London (Portland House, above) which has been compared to the Pirelli Building but I actually think it looks more like MetLife. I notice from this thread it was being sold for redevelopment. What's the current situation? I'm coming over to see it in July and I'm hoping it won't be surrounded by scaffolding or anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by andyschest
    We've got a building in London (Portland House, above) which has been compared to the Pirelli Building but I actually think it looks more like MetLife. I notice from this thread it was being sold for redevelopment. What's the current situation? I'm coming over to see it in July and I'm hoping it won't be surrounded by scaffolding or anything like that.
    Wow, that building does have a striking resemblance to the Metlife/PanAm Building.

As for the redevelopment; I may be misunderstanding the questions, but here goes. Two "Metlife Buildings' were sold in the past year; 1 Madison Ave (MetLife Tower), and 200 Park Ave. (the former Pan Am Building).

1 Madison was purchased by SL Green (I think), and the clock tower portion is reportedly going to be converted to condos by Ian Schrager and co.

200 Park, which I believe you are talking about, was purchased by Tishman Speyer Properties, and will remain an office building, with (as far as I know) little redevelopment.

Forum Veteran

Yes Tishman Speyer is keeping 200 Park all office and converting the top floor, now a private club into another office floor

Quote Originally Posted by krulltime
    Interesting article tonyo. I think that helicopters (except Emergency ones..like Hospitals or Police) should not be allowed to the top of buildings. I dont want NYC to become like a Sao Paulo, Brazil. They can get into many accidents and they are too noisy.
    True enough, but that ride was as thrilling as it gets. Looped 'round the Chrysler Building maybe two hundred feet distant, eye level to the crown.

Quote Originally Posted by mgp
    200 Park, which I believe you are talking about, was purchased by Tishman Speyer Properties, and will remain an office building, with (as far as I know) little redevelopment.
    Quote Originally Posted by kliq6
    Yes Tishman Speyer is keeping 200 Park all office and converting the top floor, now a private club into another office floor
    Thanks. Hopefully this is just internal work and won't affect my viewing.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Default Old illustration

From a postcard -
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	panam.jpg 
Views:	447 
Size:	17.5 KB 
ID:	1945  

pete.biggs on Flickr
    August 18, 2007

Larger Size

Banned Member

That's a great shot!

I love this building as much as chrysler,empire or citicorp because this is also symbol of new york city,if somebody see only this building,then it`s enough to know what place is this and I mean people which haven`t been in nyc.You can find buildings like trump tower in other places but you can`t find another like this one which is adding inimitable climate and landscape.So it`s enough of losting symbols (twin towers) of this greatest city in the world and please don`t put this gem on "demolishion list".
    Last edited by Matysiak; November 15th, 2007 at 08:31 PM.

Matysiak,

I don't think you'll have to worry about MetLife meeting with the wrecking ball anytime soon. It's popular for office space last I heard, being one of the biggest buildings in the city. A building that big isn't going to be wantonly torn down, especially in a place the scale of New York.

How about a reclad. This is one of the most hated buildings in the city, by New Yorkers.

Random Personality

^^ I don't relaly think its hated by that many New Yorkers and it was recently cleaned so I don't think that it would reclad anytime soon.

Not that recladding would make it radically different or better than it is. (I like it as it is)
    Last edited by ramvid01; November 16th, 2007 at 01:09 AM.

Good as is, brutal baby!

Me shudders to think what they'd do to it in a re-clad

LOL I don't really care for it one way or the other. It being hated was something I read last year I think and I was kinda surprised. Then again, the twin towers were 'hated' too, at first.