Page 198 of 198 FirstFirst ... 98148188194195196197198
Results 2,956 to 2,961 of 2961

Thread: Javits Center Expansion (& Cancelled Jets Stadium)

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post
    I don't think Javits will be replaced any time soon.
    I think the State will move to replace once the first wave of Hudson Yards towers is completed, especially if Cuomo is still governor.

Once there's a neighborhood over there it will be silly to just have this white elephant sitting there. It doesn't even function as a convention center; it's mostly for local exhibiting (so Boat Show, Car Show, etc. rather than conventions that attract out-of-town dollars). The renovations did nothing to change the limitations; they just fixed the leaks and made it look less ugly.

I agree that it's lame. I'd like to see a new one built in Brooklyn or LlC. I just don't think it will happen for a long time. Related's Phase 2 won't be completed for a long time, and there's only so much housing an area can absorb at once. I'd like to see the Javits site turned into a park and a law which permits its air rights to be transferred to wide areas.

I'd like to see the Javits site turned into a park and a law which permits its air rights to be transferred to wide areas.
    THIS!
    The area is sorely lacking in green space... even the Hudson River Park, for the most part, bypasses this area.

But the plan for Hudson yards is to build a massive new park. Also, I respectfully disagree with the absorption rate of new housing. Especially in a place that had almost none to begin with. Even suburban areas, such as those around cities like Houston have proven they can absorb tends of thousands of housing starts in no time. The demand for new housing in NYC has been 3x thee construction for years. The worst that "too much" housing would do is keep rents from rising so quickly, and that sounds like a bugger problem for extell/related/their investors.

The Hudson Blvd is a nice touch, but it's hardly a park. A park on the Javits site would be amazing, and it would dramatically enhance the value of property in the area.

In addition, a new convention center in LIC would be a great boost to that area. Nonetheless, I doubt that Comrade Bill and his new amigo, "Garoddick" have the interest in undertaking a great project. Instead, they will be focused on a Marxist program to redistribute wealth.

P.S.: I disagree re: comparisons to Houston. There's a lot more demand for $300k houses than there is for $3m+ apartments. Over time, NY can absorb them, but if the market were flooded with thousands of units at once, in one area, it would be a problem.

A problem for who? The developers? That's the risk inherent in real estate. There was "huge" demand for 200k houses in Vegas until there wasn't. And now they all sell for 70 and are affordable for normal people. There's more than just Hudson blvd too, as that whole block with the 7 entrance is a park too. Anyway, many of these new apartments will be rentals (ownership is still not so high in NYC) and price corrections are simple, even if landlords aren't over the moon to lower rents. They have bills too.