Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Downtown Construction Status - What's getting built?

Default Downtown Construction Status

I wouldn't mind seeing the Johnson building at site 3 in southern BPC. It would have good visability along West St and from the river.

Forum Veteran

Crap...I couldn't load any of the pictures. *I'm sure that most of them look great, considering the commentary.

Oh, BTW, sorry I haven't been posting for four days. *I was in Florida and forgot to post about that...=\

It's all good, TLOZ Link5,...

Where in FLorida? Tampa's supposed to have a nice skyline....

(Edited by NyC MaNiAc at 12:01 am on Feb. 24, 2003)

TLOZ....

Florida come on man, there is nothing in Florida...lol.

Hope you had a good time.

LOL Stern...How true you are...

Sorry Floridians...

Forum Veteran

Heh, I didn't go anywhere with a noteworthy skyline; my grandparents rent a condo on the Gulf for six weeks in February/March near Panama City on the panhandle. *What counts as a skyline around there is simply a cluster of 20-storyish hotels and apartment buildings in the middle of some of the bigger communities. *The nearest fair-sized city is Pensacola, which doesn't really have much of a skyline. *Still, it was a nice place to kick back on the beach and relax, which is what vacations are for, normally.

true. and then it's fun to go back into the concrete jungles of NYC

Some of these Downtown buildings look great by the way! I'm excited! I'm hearing too much of construction in Midtown and it's good to know Downtown still has it's fair share of under construction buildings.

Forum Veteran

konylis.com lists 6-12 Barclay as midrise.

that's not good. It seems to look like a hgih-rise and what would be a noteworthy building if built downtown.

From The NY Post
    By LOIS WEISS
    July 14, 2003

Nino Vendome is ratcheting up his development team for another spin at the family land on Spring Street just north of Canal St. There are now approvals to construct a 120-foot tall building so Vendome and his brother have re-signed the 97-year old Philip Johnson and his partner, Alan Ritchie, to create yet another design.

This one will be based on the Urban Glass House, Vendome said, but will have a historical context.

"He's been involved on the block for the past four years. Now he's going to design something great that we will build. We will combine art, technology and architecture into a historical building reflective of his work and the man himself.

The Habitable Sculpture, the more than 300-foot tall initial Johnson/Ritchie design killed by the community, has been set aside for another site.

Meanwhile, all the memorabilia from Nino's, the now-defunct Canal St. restaurant and ground zero rescue worker refuge, has been carted off by various museums, including the Smithstonian.

The New York State Museum in Albany hauled off the majority in five truckfulls that included the polished wooden bar. "As we were going through this I felt it was very important for people in the future to understand what the mood was," said Vendome. "And the things we received [including letters and photos and drawings], were full of that [mood] as we were going through the chaos."

Forum Veteran

Isn't the Johnson tower proposed for a site on Spring Street?

http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m.../article.jhtml

Legendary architect brings new vision to Lower Manhattan.
    Real Estate Weekly, Sept 10, 2003

The Vendome Group has announced it is moving forward with a new design for its property at 328 Spring St., at the corner of Washington St. and just north of Canal St.

The Vendome Group has engaged legendary architect, Philip Johnson, and his partner, Alan Ritchie, to create the design for the new building.

"The site was to be the home of the Johnson design for the internationally acclaimed 'habitable sculpture' which will be built elsewhere," explained Antonio Nino Vendome, chairman of the Vendome Group.

"Although plans have not been finalized, we expect the building will be an 'Urban Glass House' with its design elements drawing from signature Philip Johnson buildings, including his Connecticut residence, known as the 'Glass House.'

"Two years ago, at 95, Philip Johnson designed the 'habitable sculpture,' and I am certain that his extraordinary creativity will set a new vision for the urban landscape of residential buildings in Lower Manhattan."

The new building, while representative of Johnson's signature modern design, will also pay tribute to the historical surrounding buildings of the Hudson Square neighborhood and Lower Manhattan.

The design will also preserve the integrity of the adjacent historic James Brown House, which is home to the Ear Inn, one of the oldest continually functioning pubs in New York City.

According to Vendome, Johnson, along with his partner, Alan Ritchie, are currently aggressively at work on the new design for the site.

"We intend to build a project that has redeeming social value for the City and the community," said Vendome. We will combine art, technology and architecture into a building reflecting a new standard for design, and the creativity of the legendary Philip Johnson."

"The new building we have designed will rise 120 feet. It will be comprised of eleven floors," said Alan Ritchie, managing partner of Philip Johnson/Alan Ritchie Architects. Although the total number of units have not yet been determined, the building will be designed to take maximum advantage of both river and city views," added Ritchie.

"I have also directed my development team to follow green building guidelines to the extent feasible, and will make every effort to insure that we build the most environmentally friendly building possible," Vendome said.

Plans will be finalized in the next six months and construction will begin shortly thereafter.

COPYRIGHT 2003 Hagedorn Publication
    COPYRIGHT 2003 Gale Group

Thumbs up

From The Real Deal:

Urban Glass House
    Spring and Washington streets
    Architects Philip Johnson and Alan Ritchie’s new condominium development was recently purchased by Glass House Development LLC, a partnership formed by Abram Shnay, Charles Blaichman and Scott Sabbagh, from Greenwich Street Partners LLC for approximately $24 million. Construction is scheduled to begin this winter. The Sunshine Group has been named the marketing and sales agent for the building. Contact: The Sunshine Group, 212-750-0500.

Default Does anyone know what Fox & Fowle is working on at 50 West 15th St?

Hey, I was curious if anyone knew what was going on at 50 West 15th St? Fox & Fowle is the project architect, I have heard.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12