Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Lincoln Center Redesign - by Diller + Scofidio / FX Fowle / Cooper Robertson

Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio View Post

It looks to me that the canopies destroy the sensation of arrival... lessen the Center's monumentality.
    Americans these days need to be told where to go.

When passing through LC, walking directly under the canopies definitely diminishes the sense of arrival into the arcades outside the NYS (now Koch) Theater and Avery Fisher Hall -- from that POV the canopies obscure the buildings. And when leaving the theaters they take away the openness of the sky, so it's kind of like an odd "hallway" to the street thing.

But when walking out in the open up the main staircase the canopies, even as thin & transparent as they are, begin to separate the complex from the rest of the city (much more so than when traffic lanes ran right up near the edge) and they usher folks in.

One thing that has been achieved with both the canopies, the underground road and the bigger staircase is that the main entrance to LC now feels like it's meant for people, rather than vehicles + people.

Most of the changes are probably not easy to read from this jumble of photos and renderings. Will have to see it finished and experience it.

I do love the fountain though.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    Did they need the cones to keep folks from hitting their heads on the slanted columns at the Avery Fisher for the past 40 years
    Actually this configuration is much different. The slope in these new posts is further from the vertical than the original stone columns. And there is the additional problem of the perception of an open, unobstructed space under the canopy, whereas with the massive solid columns one will tend to walk further away from them naturally. I am quite sure somebody will eventually hit their heads here and- one insurance claim later- railings will need to be installed to keep future victims away.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrightfan View Post
    I am quite sure somebody will eventually hit their heads here and- one insurance claim later- railings will need to be installed to keep future victims away.
    They can just surround them with orange cones.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrightfan View Post

... I am quite sure somebody will eventually hit their heads here and- one insurance claim later- railings will need to be installed to keep future victims away.
    DS+R design particulars at the High Line have already resulted in at least one law suit there. Is that something they purposefully aim for?

This is the problem with "paper architects" building their first works after much academic critical acclaim -- they haven't developed the self-conscious aversion that experienced architects naturally acquire regarding their instinctual but mostly insipid novelty.

"Elegance is refusal." ~ Coco Chanel

If they really want to improve how Lincoln Center looks, they're going to have to tear down those ugly 70s and 80s mega apartments around Broadway. They are horrible eyesores.

^ Those are the profit-makers that Lincoln Center, the non-profit investment was supposed to --and did-- engender.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonik View Post
    This is the problem with "paper architects" building their first works after much academic critical acclaim -- they haven't developed the self-conscious aversion that experienced architects naturally acquire regarding their instinctual but mostly insipid novelty.

"Elegance is refusal." ~ Coco Chanel
    Diller and Scofidio are over-reachers and fools. They belong in front of a computer screen in some second-echelon office where they can do no harm.

Looks to me that they could do a fabulous children's playground.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

I walked by the sloping posts in question today, but did not have time to walk up to them. In person they look less 'dangerous'.

How's that bump on your head?

Rumor has it that Diller Scofidio + Renfro will be tapped at the AIANY Design Awards announcement tonight at the CFA...

^ Genuinely sorry to hear that.

Degradation of standards.

Or maybe they've been there for a while?

He says "they will be tapped"... I don't know what that means over by you, but over by me... it's not good...