Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425 LastLast

Thread: Lincoln Center Redesign - by Diller + Scofidio / FX Fowle / Cooper Robertson

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc View Post
    So you're an architectural purist, huh?
    Who would have guessed?

Heading to Lincoln Center? Bring a Raincoat

As Lincoln Center greets summer by opening its spiffed-up new public spaces, including the swoopy new rooftop lawn above the still-unfinished restaurant and razzle-dazzle LEDs on the stairs, some gremlins appear to have turned the fountain in the center of the plaza into the high-culture version of an open fire hydrant. Four-story jets of water have lately been shooting up into oncoming gusts of wind, spraying the plaza and soaking unsuspecting visitors in the seconds before they can scatter.

WET Design, which choreographed the dancing fountain, had promised a more sober, tasteful act than its magnum opus, the explosive aquatic chorus line at the Bellaggio in Las Vegas. Wind sensors are supposed to keep the burbling low on breezy days. But a Lincoln Center spokesperson said that the cultural complex has been testing new configurations, ramping up the fountain's acrobatics for benefits and other special events.

It's nice to know, when an errant cannonball of water comes plummeting down on your shoulders, that at least the gala audiences watching from the balcony of Avery Fisher Hall are being profitably entertained.

Related: A Critical Look at the Renovation of Lincoln Center [NYM]
    Earlier: The New Lincoln Center Fountain Demands Our Attention

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2010/05...rk+Magazine%29

I think it's wind currents rolling down that grassy meadow.

^ They can't remove that soon enough for me.

You might have to wait until 2060.

Lincoln Center Grass Roof Closed Already (Updated)

by Avi - June 3, 2010

The sloping grass roof on top of Lincoln Center’s anticipated new restaurant at 65th Street has closed after only being open for two weeks. It will stay closed “until further notice,” according to a sign on a barricade in front of the lawn.

The beating sun and the sheer weight of all of the people using it apparently stomped the grass to death, a tipster told us.

Indeed this morning we observed some big ugly brown patches on the lawn. A construction official said it was closed for “maintenance” but wouldn’t elaborate.

UPDATE: This just in from Lincoln Center: “On Tuesday morning, we had to close the Illumination Lawn after several large brown spots suddenly emerged in the grass with no obvious cause. Accordingly, it will be necessary to keep the lawn closed for the next 5-7 days to adjust the new irrigation system. We’ll also use this time to install a granite stepping stone at the lawn’s entrance to better accommodate this new space’s popularity. During this week-long review, we hope visitors take advantage of other popular new green spaces including the Benenson and Barclays Capital Groves, and the Revson Fountain.”

The grass roof opened on May 21 with crowds of people piling on and eating free gelato. Is this evidence of the success of the lawn, or an “epic fail,” as our tipster called it?

The lawn on May 21, opening day.

http://westsideindependent.com/2010/...losed-already/

Quote Originally Posted by Merry View Post
    Lincoln Center Grass Roof Closed Already
    ... after only being open for two weeks. It will stay closed “until further notice,” according to a sign on a barricade in front of the lawn.

The beating sun and the sheer weight of all of the people using it apparently stomped the grass to death ...
    ... several large brown spots suddenly emerged in the grass with no obvious cause.
    Weed poison applied by an architecture maven?

This wasn't hard to foresee. Keystone Kops "architecture".

And to think of the beautiful classic modern space they destroyed for this rubbish ...

They should just restore it to how it was.

Grassy knoll.

Hardly a classic, hardly a beautiful space. Lincoln Center is an exercise in classicism dressed up in schlock, and debunked 'urban renewal.' But hey, it beats Government Center. This lawn fits in just fine with its surroundings. It gave people a reason to spend time in that godforsaken plaza, for the time being. And now it's suitably spotty.

Ok on a different note, (I don't know if we've seen this before), but this was Richard Meier's plan for Avery Fisher Hall back in 2002, just thought it was kinda interesting. Just to note this was one of many entries I think

Sorry for the poor quality

Here's a link to the project itself
    http://richardmeier.com/www/#/bookma...owse/843223913

A Floorplan
    Last edited by JSsocal; June 4th, 2010 at 08:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc View Post
    Weed poison applied by an architecture maven?

This wasn't hard to foresee. Keystone Kops "architecture".

And to think of the beautiful classic modern space they destroyed for this rubbish ...

They should just restore it to how it was.
    There was hardly anything enjoyable about Lincoln Center before. You'd take a photo and leave

The fact that people are hanging out and enjoying the space automatically makes the redesign a success. I do agree that it should have been done more tastefully, but being on that lawn is really enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    There was hardly anything enjoyable about Lincoln Center before. You'd take a photo and leave

The fact that people are hanging out and enjoying the space automatically makes the redesign a success. I do agree that it should have been done more tastefully, but being on that lawn is really enjoyable.
    Well said: and I fully agree.

I am, even if reluctanty, coming to like this new design – it seems to me that this Architectural makoever has suprisingly turned out to be a big improvemet to Lincoln Center.

That area with the lawn has now become a lively (people attracting) place: and looks very cool – a refreshing bit of modernist eye candy.

On the inside, many areas have been artfully ‘opened –up’ to permit ample natural light, and offer commanding views of the lively street scene on Broadway & the main plaza.

So far – surprisingly – this project is turing out pretty good.

As many misgivings as I had when they announced the renovation, I think it ended up as a net positive change. It has always been one of my favorite spaces in the city, so I have been very relieved on recent visits to see it is in fact better than before. the Plaza is more beautiful than ever, they didn't touch the two gems that are the Opera House and Avery Fischer, and there is a real energy (actual human beings) that was nonexistant in the past (outside of 7:30 and 11:00 of course). Thanks to Ablarc, I do mourn the loss of the modern space to the north, but dirty secret--I didn't really like it before.

Wonder if heavy downpours of rain would adversely affect the grass, especially on that slope.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kstrahm...in/pool-curbed