Page 116 of 255 FirstFirst ... 1666106112113114115116117118119120126166216 ... LastLast
Results 1,726 to 1,740 of 3814

Thread: The Bank of America Tower a.k.a. One Bryant Park - by Cook + Fox Architects

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc View Post
    That's what I mean by the building's shape being idiotic. It's so (needlessly) complicated that you can't describe it or even really grasp it --nor is it rewarding enough to even try.
    The shape's not all that complicated: Two long boxes set on end, with the corners sliced at weird angles. Arbitrary, perhaps.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

^ Exactly.

The only thing this building has going for it is the cuts and angles up top.

From the midsection on down, everything's square-cornered and no different than the countless other NY buildings.

The glass so far is as exciting as day old bread.

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc View Post
    That's what I mean by the building's shape being idiotic. It's so (needlessly) complicated that you can't describe it or even really grasp it --nor is it rewarding enough to even try.

Not worth the effort. There's no art here.
    Now its "complicated".
    The building's design pays homage to the old Crystal Palace that was built there along time ago. So basically, the building is shaped like a crystal....a real brain twister there I tell you.

While perhaps too early to really tell, the through-block passageway looks promising. Right now, it's just steel, but the proportions seem enticing and give a good sense of enclosure (or at least it looked that way in the dark).

On 42nd, the streetwall continues to be troubling. Can anything be done to relieve the monotony?

Walking by it on the way to work in the morning or back from work, it just does not inspire me. I have to be a block away from it before I go "hey! That's starting to look pretty neat!"

I don't say "neat" but you get the point.

Actually, I do not "say" anything, but that is even further off the subject....

What I am wondering is if they can get that open space and sheer facade at ground level to be engaging. Even in the renderings look a bit sterile, especially when you considr things like the trees are out at the street-line.

I do not think the setback will be enough to have a decent break-space (seating area, etc).

It is not as if many other buildings have a great street-level presence, but it is just dissapointing that they don't.

So there will be an empty, glass-encased, inverted wedge on the Southeast corner running almost the entire height of the building. Interesting.

During the night, the wedge feature will look amazing from the park when illuminated from within! The rendering at the website shows it completely glowing.

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post
    So there will be an empty, glass-encased, inverted wedge on the Southeast corner running almost the entire height of the building. Interesting.
    It gets wider as you go up the building. Imagine a glass trapezoid getting wider at each level. At Level 52 up the double wall is open to the elements with a series of catwalks and screens.

Banned Member

Thanks for that rendering and showing where we are to date. It is truly massive.

Bloomberg

Elie Tahari Takes Floor Near Top of Manhattan Tower

By David M. Levitt

Jan. 17 (Bloomberg) -- Fashion design company Elie Tahari Ltd. will lease the entire 50th floor of One Bryant Park, a 51- story Midtown Manhattan skyscraper slated for completion in 2008, its developer said.

Tahari Ltd., the vehicle of designer Elie Tahari, will use the 29,674-square-foot space as its headquarters and showroom, landlord Durst Organization said in a press release. The lease runs for 15 years, said Durst, which didn't disclose the rent.

One Bryant Park will hold 2.1 million square feet of offices, a block from Times Square and overlooking Bryant Park, behind the main branch of the New York Public Library. Tents erected in the park are home to New York's Fashion Week where the world's top designers exhibit twice a year.

"It is important to me that our headquarters are both inspiring and beautiful,'' said Tahari in the statement. Citing the building's carbon dioxide monitors, rainwater capturing and other environmental innovations, he said "it's even more important to me that we will be doing our part in protecting the environment.''

Bank of America, based in Charlotte, North Carolina, will occupy 37 floors of the building. Law firm Akin, Gump, Strauss, Hauer & Feld LLP will rent six floors at a reported rent of over $100 a square foot.

Just reposting a couple-year-old rendering showing it at various times in the day. I believe they are 9am, 12, 3 and 6pm, although I might be wrong. Whenever they are they're spaced out by every three hours.

The large size rendering I used above is second from the left.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

The top is hollow.

Like I said on SkyscraperPage, my guess (and worry) is that instead of breaking the plateau, that open crown is only going to add to the clutter of the skyline.

A great Photoshop by JaCKinNYC on SSP:

And a picture by JaCK

Default a litttle early

Quote Originally Posted by finnman69 View Post
    Please, someone take a photo and post it from this location on a sunny day, I'm guessing it's fairly early 9-10am ish. judging from the sun angle.

Im curious to get a feeling on how the building is really going to look. I think the reflections will be far less pronounced and the difference between the spandrels and vision glass to be much more apparent.
    Since the trees are in bloom, the sun must be at a higher elevation, more importantly, the glass is dirty and the interior is dark.

For everyone who is complaining about the glass. Do you realize that the glass you see now is not going to continue past the highest floor its on right now at the south east corner? The type of glass will change to a different type for the rest of the building. Look at the renderings of the south east corner and how exactly 7 floors below where that indentation starts, the glass is different. Its sort of sticking out of the building. Thats why those columns are bending at the corner above the highest current piece of glass.
    Either that or the rendering was exagerated just to show off the way that corner is notched.