Page 161 of 255 FirstFirst ... 61111151157158159160161162163164165171211 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,415 of 3814

Thread: The Bank of America Tower a.k.a. One Bryant Park - by Cook + Fox Architects

BOA is a step in the right direction.They really maxed out everything, big floor heights big crown big spire. and its not just a box.

Hehe, BOFA LEEDs the way... The spire is said to reach 1,200ft. in the air. Krulltime, great night pics!

Quote Originally Posted by alonzo-ny View Post
    This picture is awesome....it really shows how dense the Manhattan skyline is......rows and rows of skyscrapers.

Just for you

Quote Originally Posted by TREPYE View Post
    If you think about it this is the first (skyline significant) ornamental spire to be built since the ESB or 70 pine street.

The only other tower that even attempeted at one but has not impact on the skyline is the Reuters building in Times Square.

I cannot count the Conde Nast's, or the original 1 WTC because they had antennas, not a spire. The NYTimes building I dont consider a spire because it is not fluid with the rest of the building and thus its rather simply a decorative mast plopped on top of a flat roof.

Amazing that it took over 70 years for NYC to get a significant real spire coming out of its skyline.

The Reuters Building has an antenna. Don't see how the sloping angles on BofA's roof extension give its spire more credibility than the Times. Spires are about further expressing the vertical thrust of the tower and look how apparent that is in that NYTT photo.
    Last edited by Derek2k3; October 2nd, 2007 at 08:03 AM.

I would also put it out there that the functional look of the conde nast antenna could be considered a design element because of the futuristic/tokyo style crown of the building.

Guys, FYI, try not to repeatedly quote the same large post w/o trimming it down a bit! We see the pictures! We do not need to see them 3 times in 5 posts!

Anyway, Jeff, height is one thnig, but there are rules. I liek teh fact that they maxed out their usable square footage, gave an interesting non-rectangular facade, and a "spikey" roof that does not resemble 4TS (which looks like a giant tatoo-needle) or any other industrial spike. It is not the BEST spire, but it is not just a Verizon antenna on top of a big wine-bottle gift box!

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Cool Ninjahedge is right.

Let's try to save Edward some bandwidth $. (Maybe he'll throw a swanky party for us from the dividends!)

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
    Guys, FYI, try not to repeatedly quote the same large post w/o trimming it down a bit! We see the pictures! We do not need to see them 3 times in 5 posts!

Anyway, Jeff, height is one thnig, but there are rules. I liek teh fact that they maxed out their usable square footage, gave an interesting non-rectangular facade, and a "spikey" roof that does not resemble 4TS (which looks like a giant tatoo-needle) or any other industrial spike. It is not the BEST spire, but it is not just a Verizon antenna on top of a big wine-bottle gift box!
    Ahh, 4TS more like a syringe needle than a tattoo needle. :P

Default October 7, 2007 Polish Day In NYC :)

Quote Originally Posted by Archit_K View Post
    Ahh, 4TS more like a syringe needle than a tattoo needle. :P

To me it looks my like a mechanical stylus. A big clunky almost sci-fi looking head with all the ads on it, with a small needle on top.

I was imagining a mechanical device in that ad zone that would move the needle up and down, either tatooing portions of the skyline, or sewing it shut.

I just don't really like it. Like the BoA a bit more, but it is not truly integrated. I would say that it has been altered to blend a bit better though. It still does not look integrated, but it does not look like something just stuck on the top of a building to transmit cell-phone signals.

Banned Member

The spire looks to be halfway up (looking out my office window, right now.)

Default october 9, 2007

here it is ...another section added....

5 sections there when i left work.

From last Thurs..