Page 244 of 255 FirstFirst ... 144194234240241242243244245246247248254 ... LastLast
Results 3,646 to 3,660 of 3814

Thread: The Bank of America Tower a.k.a. One Bryant Park - by Cook + Fox Architects

Well, if we hold the ESB to be NYC's version of the Eiffel tower, it may hurt us in the end. As we have seen with the MOMA building, we need to move foward and create new landmarks of the 21st century or risk turning into the Rome or Venice of today. For example, the Penn Station tower should be allowed to go ahead, even though it is close to the ESB. Sentamentalism for the ESB should not be allowed to hinder us moving foward. There is nothing wrong with keeping the surround blocks free of supertalls, but that should be as far as it goes. There is no grand avenue or park leading up to this building, it isn't some sacred monument or axis like some claim...nor is it as good a building as claimed.

The Vornado Tower site is nearly 1/4 mile away from ESB. I'm talking about new buildings going up in the direct vicinity. Of course such construction will happen some day, but it's hard to argue that when the ESB is hidden so that the full building and all its height is not fully viewable then it will not be diminished.

Quote Originally Posted by futurecity View Post

... nor is it as good a building as claimed.
    poppycock

The view of the ESB looking south from the Rock is an iconic perspective as emblematic of NYC as the Eiffel tower is to Paris. Care should be taken if that perspective is to be lost. Back to BofA, more height might have added some grace to its form. This was an opportunity for spectacular architecture lost. No Bronx cheers perhaps, but neither a standing ovation.

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic View Post
    This building is so weird and uncoordinated to me. I don't get it.
    Has all the grace of a slug.

A few more from this weekend

Sluglike grace aside, the glass looked quite stunning, although it could've been less the building and more that great late afternoon sun.
    Last edited by kz1000ps; May 10th, 2010 at 07:04 PM.

The building is a good one, not a great one. It would have been great if it the mass of the building were taller. The spire just looks too tall for the building. My fear with the wedge is that, if the building's engineers don't get it right, the building's owners will scrap it altogether. The engineers should get it right, and the owners should also pay to flood light the entire building.

Did they ever finish the wedge of light?

They have the big Bank of America letters on 3 sides and they should be lit. Even i can see that. you can't read it at night.

Forum Veteran

So when are they finally going to get rid of that damn street level scaffolding

It's gone.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    It's gone.
    well it was there as recently as 3 weeks ago, I will have to go and take another look

I agree should have been taller. And I wouldn't even call that thing up top a spire more like a glorified flag pole.

Quote Originally Posted by bigchet View Post
    I agree should have been taller. And I wouldn't even call that thing up top a spire more like a glorified flag pole.
    It looks more like a leaning TV/radio tower of the type that one would see in less dense urban and/or rural areas.

It's big and clunky, and I don't like it. The spire is a complete waste and does not add anything to the architectural value of this building. How this thing moved off the drawing board and made it through the boardroom is beyond me.