Page 29 of 255 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979129 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bank of America Tower a.k.a. One Bryant Park - by Cook + Fox Architects

not latticework but a wall of glass.

Forum Veteran

Chunky is right..

The more i see that building the more and more i dislike it, its much too fat and the lattice work/ glass on the top just looks awful...Why cant we build a tower thats thinner, and 1000 feet to the top with 70 occupied floors?

i guess cuz its new york :x :evil:

chunky. yeah thats the only major glitch in the design.

I think that the design is even better than i was expecting. the glass/ latticework is one of the best parts.

that was a very nice insult to the design that you made but i think we need shovels.

Quote Originally Posted by ech1368
    The more i see that building the more and more i dislike it, its much too fat and the lattice work/ glass on the top just looks awful...Why cant we build a tower thats thinner, and 1000 feet to the top with 70 occupied floors?

i guess cuz its new york :x :evil:
    Short answer: economics

The days of slender office buildings like Woolworth, 70 Pine, Chrysler and ESB are over. Commercial tenants want large floor plates. Worldwide Plaza was an attempt to provide this and evoke the towers of the 20s and 30s. I think the result was less than satisfactory.

As for occupied space on top, Chrysler, ESB, etc do very well with empty spires.

There is much more infrastructure within office buildings today. The higher the building, the more space is given to service shafts. These shafts are of no economic use to the tenants, and adding floors on top subtracts space from all the floors below. Eventually you reach a point of diminishing returns, and it’s not economical to go higher.

There is much less service demand on residential floors. Future supertalls that are viable economically, and not just expressions of national ego, are probably going to be mixed use, such as the Bloomberg Tower.

A little chunky, but I like it.
    I like it too. The design process looks really interesting. The architects probably designed the building 2-D from an odd vantage, the North Grace Plaza. The building is divided and its two roofs interplay by joining at different heights, it’s a performance of shapes that is more common on a smaller scale. Not to neglect Bryant Park the southern shape is the more dramatic of the two, and is enhanced with a double wall, this effectively makes the building 3-D. The different dimensions aren’t seamless, but it’s a successful design.

zippy, i get your explanation but im sure that NYC will have at least 1 80= 1100 foot office tower in NYC soon enough, think of the con ed site tower at 1100 feet and 86 floors...

Quote Originally Posted by ech1368
    i quess its clear now that the top will be nearly 200 feet of lattice work because you can see the spire and the sky through the last nearly 200ft :?

200 ft may be a little high, but I do see more "green" in that rendering...its the same as the old, just clearer...

I'll go out on a limb, and say that the "top" glass section will cover no more than 100 to 120 ft...

well i copied it to paint and did some measuring crap with pixels...id rather not go into that but but i got a roughly 135 foot open space...i still dnot know weather the tower is 960 feet tall or 900...

if it were 900 the roof would be 765...the roof is thicker so we'll say that the highest floor is 15 feet under the roof so it is around 750'...this building's alot like citicorp

if it were 960 the roof would be 825 leaving the highest occupied floor at 810...

lets hope its the second one

give me a minute and ill figure out the hieght of the building from pixels...although the rendering may not be accurate....so far it looks slighly to short to be 960 or even 900 feet

OK i figured it out by pixels...the building is 819 feet to the tip of the glass, either they lowered the tower or the rendering is innacturate

If you mean the left corner to the tip, then I get the same (820'), but on the right side I come up with 880'

i got 819 to the top of the glass and 788 to the lower corner... but i dont know if i got thrown off the the buildings angle

never mind zippy you were right. i accidently measured from the top of the verizon tower instead of the white line...i get the same now

A little chunky, but I like it.
    Yes it is, but it's at its chunkiest from this angle - at the corners. Then again, that's the showcase view....