Page 30 of 255 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080130 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bank of America Tower a.k.a. One Bryant Park - by Cook + Fox Architects

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp
    If you mean the left corner to the tip, then I get the same (820'), but on the right side I come up with 880'
    I think we need Kelvin fro ssp to clear things up for you both.... :lol:

Okay, i think that we have established the potential heights for the building.

When do you think that we will see different angles/will there be different angles?

There should be.

Do you think that the first 6+ floors will be commercial like time warner?

I know that theres a replacement for the current theatre.

Scanned an ad for Durst properties today...notice how BOA towers over Conde Nast...

WOWSAZZAS!

Not 960 feet, my ass! sorry about that. BUT WOWSAZZAS!

Whereas BOFA resembles the Freedom Tower from Bryant Park, it coincides with 5 Times Square a block west. If Ernst and Young wasn't hidden behind TXSQ Tower, it would create an interesting, almost intentional juxtaposition.

Testimony at public hearing on 20 November 2003 in support of One Bryant Park

The AIA New York Chapter, the founding Chapter of the American Institute of Architects, which represents nearly 3,200 architects, professional affiliates, and public members, and its Planning and Urban Design Committee, is in support of the proposed building at One Bryant Park by Fox & Cook Architects and the condemnation process making the assemblage possible.

The site, because of its size and location, is a pivotal link between the corporate office corridor on Sixth Avenue, the open space of Bryant Park and the animated Times Square entertainment district. The proposed 51-story Bank of America building will be about two million gross square feet on an 87,000 square foot site; it will house 8,000 workers.

The proposed project is significantly larger than its neighboring buildings; however, because it is to the north of Bryant Park, it will not cast shadows on the park itself.

The project is being proposed under the auspices of the Empire State Development Corporation, rather than through City Planning, to facilitate the condemnation process.

We believe the condemnation serves a public purpose for the following architectural reasons:

1) Architectural merit
    The size, form and expression of the building will give it an iconic presence on the midtown Manhattan skyline. The bulk of the building area is contained in a sculpted tower that has facets which will change the perception of the building with the passage of the sun, giving it a kinetic, crystalline appearance.

2) Sustainability
    The building has been designed to qualify for a LEEDS Platinum rating, a first for a building of this scale. It incorporates a number of “green” strategies, reducing emissions, energy and water requirements to a significant degree. Facets of the curtainwall to the south have been designed with a deep double wall as part of this sustainable strategy; this is the most visible portion of the building where the “green” nature of the building will be easily apparent. This building will set a high standard for future commercial office buildings.

3) Transportation/Circulation The site is located within walking distance of the major regional transportation hubs of Grand Central Terminal and the Port Authority Bus Terminal. It sits between the Sixth Avenue subway station at 42ndStreet (B, D, F and V) and the Times Square subway station (1, 2, 3, 9, 7, N, Q, R, S, W). This unique concentration of public transportation facilities can absorb the density of the proposed development. A public benefit of this project is that it will enhance public transportation facilities by providing a number of subway related amenities.

These new facilities include a stair and glass entry pavilion within the property line at the northwest corner of Sixth and 42ndStreet, providing a new below ground walkway between Sixth Avenue subways and the Times Square subways, and new stairs at the western end of the site to this passageway. This connection will expand the capacity of 42ndStreet for pedestrian movement and will allow pedestrians to walk below ground from Eighth Avenue to Fifth Avenue.

The character of these below grade passages needs to be addressed, particularly if it is in the free or paid zone, and whether there will be retail.

4) Public Amenity Spaces
    The project will provide a number of pedestrian circulation amenities. These spaces include a 5’ sidewalk widening on 42ndStreet, an open entrance plaza on the south side of the site at 42ndStreet and Sixth Avenue, an enclosed “urban garden room” to the north at 43rdStreet and Sixth Avenue, and a through block arcade at the west end of the site connecting 42ndand 43rdStreets.

Added population coming from the building will put even more pressure on Bryant Park, and one possible solution would be to increase the size of the “urban garden room” by eliminating the through block arcade, and consolidating this space at Sixth Avenue by pushing the building about 35 feet closer to 4 Times Square. An alternative public amenity to relieve the congestion created by the new population might be to create a rooftop garden on the setback portion of the building, located between the tower of 4 Times Square and the new One Bryant Park tower. Rooftop gardens were a characteristic of the Times Square area at one time.

5) Landmarked Theater On the 43rdStreet side the site and façade encompasses the Henry Miller Theater, a New York City Landmark. The interior of the theater is not viable for use as a theater in its current condition for code, functional and market reasons. The proposed project retains the 43rdStreet façade for a nominal dimension in its current location as well as certain spatial and decorative elements of the internal plan, while completely rebuilding the theater to modern specifications.

That 880 ft I came up with is using Verizon as the scale, but since BofA is further away, the scale would be smaller - so the measurement is at least 880 ft.

An urban garden room and a roof top garden, to act as a public application of its green architecture, an interesting gesture, that would be appreciated by tourists and tenants alike.

Wow...nice catch NY Guy!
    Looks like 1000' to me!

Maybe not 1000 feet, but close.

I hope that rendering is correct but won't hold much stock in it, they often aren't and this one seems a little sketchy.

I dont think so, the rendering matches up to all the information previously given.

Forum Veteran

If it's 960, why can't they push it to 1000!?

Quote Originally Posted by Stern
    Maybe not 1000 feet, but close.

That looks about right from everything we know. I only have one (small) problem with the tower - a building that bulky should be taller, but I'm not complaining! Bring it on....