Page 36 of 255 FirstFirst ... 263233343536373839404686136 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bank of America Tower a.k.a. One Bryant Park - by Cook + Fox Architects

12,500 job cuts coming

COMBINED NEWS SERVICES; Staff writer Pradnya Joshi contributed to this article.

April 6, 2004

CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Bank of America Corp. announced yesterday that it is cutting 12,500 jobs as a result of its merger with FleetBoston Financial Corp.

The cuts represent about 7 percent of the companies' now combined work force of 181,000.

The job cuts will begin this month and will take place over the next two years, with about 30 percent of them accomplished through attrition, the bank said.

The bank has said it expects to get about $650 million in savings from trimming overlapping operations and processes.

Bank of America, which will erect a new marquis building at One Bryant Park, has promised to keep 3,000 jobs and add more than 2,800 jobs in New York City as part of a tax-incentive deal with the New York City Industrial Development Agency.

However, city officials say that the bank can still meet those job goals by moving positions from other cities or states. A new 2.1-million-square-foot office building on West 42nd Street and Sixth Avenue will become headquarters to the bank's investment banking, trading and asset management divisions, and is slated to open in 2008.

The completion last week of Bank of America's merger with Fleet created the nation's No. 2 bank, with assets estimated at $966 billion.

The bank has about 35 million customers, about 5,700 branches from coast to coast and 16,500 ATMs. In assets, it trails only Citigroup and the company to result from the planned merger between Bank One and J.P. Morgan Chase.

Copyright © 2004, Newsday, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by kliq6
    when does this demoltion start???
    I walked past the site yesterday, and there's scaffolding up around most of the now-closed shops. The National Debt clock is gone, too.

APRIL 9, 2004
    Businesses have been vacated; demolition beginning soon

thanks for the pics update! This is looking very promising!

NY Post...

DEBT TAKES A HOLIDAY AS 'CLOCK' IS REMOVED

By MARIANNE GARVEY

April 13, 2004 -- Midtown is missing one of its landmarks.
    The world-famous National Debt Clock that hung on the side of a three-story building at 43rd Street and Sixth Avenue has been torn from its home of more than 15 years. The building, owned by the Durst Organization, is being stripped and demolished in order to make room for a high-rise.

But because the national debt is still rising, a new billboard-sized digital clock will be reappearing in a few weeks one block north at 1133 Sixth Ave. "It'll be going back up in a month," said Douglas Durst, president of the Durst Organization, which looks after the clock.

Durst's late father, real-estate magnate Seymour Durst, installed the clock in 1989 when the debt was $2.7 trillion. When the clock returns in May, the debt will be more than $7 trillion.

In fact, the debt is now rising so quickly that the last seven numbers of the new clock will be moving too quickly to be read, Durst said.

"The numbers are there to be helpful in reminding people and because my father thought it necessary to tell people how big the debt actually is," Douglas said.

The last time the clock went dark was in September 2000 - because the national debt was actually falling. It was plugged back in on July 2002 when the debt again began to rise.

From an ad in today's NY Post, as the building markets the upper floor space...

Walked by the site yesterday. Most of the former bussinesses are being gutted from the inside, but there remains one last holdout - McDonalds is alive and well. I guess they will remain open until the very end....

Quote Originally Posted by NYguy
    Walked by the site yesterday. Most of the former bussinesses are being gutted from the inside, but there remains one last holdout - McDonalds is alive and well. I guess they will remain open until the very end....
    That's actually pretty bad. McDonald's was the one I actually wanted to see bite the dust. I'd rather see the Pizza Pronto still open.

Forum Veteran

Pronto Pizza.

And it's not gone, it moved somewhere nearby.

Im excited about this building, I think it looks amazing!

Walked around the site yesterday, I'll get some pics up later. All but the McDonalds has been gutted and all signage has since been removed. McDonald's is still trucking on. The entire west side of the site is being demolished starting from the center of the site where there excavations have already begun.

Forum Veteran

I was there yesterday and took pictures too. Once the other computer is healed from yet another mysterious gremlin I'll post them.

Forum Veteran

Where is the McDonalds at? Is is it on the 6th Ave. side? I cant tell.

Forum Veteran

Yes, 6th ave.