Page 62 of 255 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672112162 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bank of America Tower a.k.a. One Bryant Park - by Cook + Fox Architects

Quote Originally Posted by kliq6
    This completes Sixth Ave from 42nd to 59th street in a great way
    By and large, but there's still one or two small crap buildings on the east side of 6th near 47th Street.

Banned Member

My current view of the world is: If it has a Duane Reade, it is a crap building.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider
    My current view of the world is: If it has a Duane Reade, it is a crap building.
    The Helmsley Building has a Duane Reade in it :P

By the way, the re-skin of the Hippodrome is a MASSIVE improvement over the tired, ragged, old facade.

If we want to get technical: the horizontal ribbed canopy and free-standing signage of this building is a homage to the "moderne" style.... late art-deco... late 30's to early 50's. Over at the Time Warner you'll also see a free-standing metal sign ( theTWC base is sort of moderne revisited ). Rockefeller Center had a lot of those ribbed canopies...some were removed in the 70's... Radio City just up the street from the Bryant Park building still has it's ribbed canopy (outlined in neon.) So, if anything, I think the idea here is to have us make a connection with the Rockefeller Center complex.
    Last edited by Fabrizio; August 23rd, 2005 at 05:06 PM.

The Dude Abides

Quote Originally Posted by Clarknt67
    Park Avenue retro? Do you mean like "That Girl" era New York? I see it, it doesn't bother me though. It is kinda mod. I hope they play Burt Bacharach in the lobby.
    No, actually, that's probably way before I was born. I just recognized a less modern look in the building's entrance, something like an homage to the corporate headquarters built along Park Avenue in the 50's and 60's. I think Fabrizio summed it up pretty well.

Londonlawyer: I know exactly which buildings you're talking about. They're right at the end of the Diamond District (47th between 5th & 6th), which has its share of trash buildings too. I think 47th in general has been somewhat lagging in high-quality development. It's also dreadful as you walk west towards Times Square. As for the Hippodrome facade, I took a pic today and will post it in the appropriate thread. Look for an update later tonight.

BrooklynRider: I think your comment effectively classifies one-third of all buildings in New York as crap. While obviously not entirely true, there are a lot, too many in fact, buildings below ten stories that are awfully maintained and house a Duane Reade. The one that most readily comes to mind is the L-shaped building at the northwest corner of 42nd & 8th.
    In addition to the Helmsley, I believe there is a Duane Reade in the Woolworth Building as well, though I may be wrong on that one.

Re: Pianoman's reply regarding crappy buildings on 47th and 6th.

I agree, Mr. Joel. (I assume Pianoman refers to Christie's ex-husband, Billy.) Those buildings, like a lot of other crap in the city, will improve one day.

The Dude Abides

Hi, Londonlawyer. You make the assumption about my name that most people make. While the term "pianoman" is almost inseparable from Billy Joel, it is relevant toward me. I started taking piano lessons when I was 5, and got pretty advanced until high school, when I stopped for a while. I'm back into it now for the time being. So, there you go.

To all other forumers: Sorry for getting off topic. Here are fresh construction pics from today (8/23). Two cranes are up, and the site is very busy. There are a few pretty nice views of the site where boarding has been taken down. I talked to a construction worker, and he told me so far that only "a few pieces" of steel have arrived. He said he didn't know when the first big shipment was scheduled to come in. Now, the exciting part:

This might want to be in the "news" forum, but here it is anyways:

Bank of America Becomes Fourth Bank to Admit Ties to Slavery

released on 08/25/05 at 08:37:03

Saadiq Mance
    Emerging Minds News

Chicago (emergingminds.org) - In a report released Wednesday, the Charlotte, N.C.-based Bank of America (NYSE: BAC) became the fourth bank in the United States to disclose links to slavery. The admission comes as a result of a 2002 Chicago law that any company doing business with the city must reveal past slavery ties.

However, according to the Chicago Sun Times, Bank of America claims that its predecessor banks never held slaves and they could not find a case where they made any profits from slaves.

As a result, Bank of America pledged only $5 million over a three-year period for institutions and programs involved in preserving African-American history. In addition, Bank of America said that the $5 million offer will build on existing commitments, inferring that no new initiates will be started.

Kenneth D. Lewis, the Chairman and CEO of Bank of America, makes an annual salary of $7.21 million. Additionally, as of June 30 2005 Bank of America reported assets of $1.25 trillion and a quarterly net income of $4.30 billion. With Bank of America's extraordinary income statement and balance sheet that would never have been possible without the forced servitude of Africans, Bank of America’s $5 million dollar pledge has been received by the Black community as insulting and pathetic.

The Chicago Sun Times reports that Alderwoman Dorothy Tillman of Chicago, who introduced the Chicago legislation for companies to disclose ties to slavery, said that the report was "disingenuous" and that she had evidence that Bank of America predecessor Providence Bank engaged in the slave trade, including the manufacture of leg irons. Tillman also said that the bank lied about past ties to slavery in an affidavit submitted in connection with its role as senior manager of a $500 million city refinancing deal.

Bank of America’s admission of guilt to ties with slavery comes in the wake of Wachovia Corporations admission of guilt for building its company from money made from the forced servitude of Africans that were brutally brainwashed after they were kidnapped from their native lands. Wachovia reported assets of $511.8 billion as of June 30 2005 and in 2004 made $25 billion in community loans and investments to revitalize neighborhoods, and donated more than $82 million to charities.

As a result of Wachovia’s admission of guilt for slavery the company told the press that it plans to distribute only $10 million over a five year period through a string of new and enhanced partnerships with at least two of the "good ol’ boys" of civil rights pacifiers, the United Negro College Fund and the NAACP.

Wachovia and now Bank of America’s “greasing” of the hands of the “safe” Black organizations without any accountability are just the latest in a string of corporations who have dictated to the Black community how they will distribute money pledged in the name of repairing past wrongs due to slavery in the United States of America. Within the last 2 years, there have been more than half a billion dollars promised by private corporations without any accountability.

Other similar admissions and / or monetary pledges have been made by J.P. Morgan Chase Bank, American General, Nationwide Life Insurance, and Lehman Brothers. None of which have been taken to task by America’s Black Community.

Interesting read, Lofter, though...

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1
    This might want to be in the "news" forum, but here it is anyways:
    ...is this a news story or an editorial?

Forum Veteran

The article doesnt belong in this thread. Go back far enough and every entity or person has embarrassing ties.

Give me a freakin break. I'm sorry, I mean slavery was/is a terrible thing in our history, but GET OVER IT! It was common practice at the time, no matter how wrong it was. It's ridiculous to have to pay reparations.

Default Bank Of America ties to slavery

The banks ties to slavery are ridiculously tenous. Bank of America was founded by an Italian immigrant in San Francisco after the Civil War. They are aplogizing for the actions of another bank they later aquired.

Banned Member

And yet, aren't we really all enslaved by the banking and financial institutions of the world?

Now, back to the building....

If they had slaves building the tower...now that would be a story.