Page 64 of 255 FirstFirst ... 145460616263646566676874114164 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bank of America Tower a.k.a. One Bryant Park - by Cook + Fox Architects

Quote Originally Posted by sfenn1117
    The southern half of the United States, the part then controlled by Democrats. Yet somehow blacks kiss Democrats ass in todays world
    The Democrats are not the party whose ass they kiss but rather the party in which they hold real power - the party in which they have taken a seat at the table - the party which is open to their concerns - the party which does not grudgingly only welcome those African Americans that have crossed the threshold of top 5%.
    Last edited by RJW; August 26th, 2005 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake
    And BTW, I do believe that the current political parties were completely different from the ones back then and the terms Republican and Democrat hold no specific idea in themselves when applied to the history of the whole party.
    To be perfectly honest is there really much of a difference between the two parties today? These days the Bushes are buddies with the Clintons so called conservatives latching on to liberal ideas. The only difference between a Repbublican politician and a Democrat one is that one wears a blue tie and one wears a red one. In the end they are all slimy, cheating and lying lowlifes, aren't they?

Anyway, this is way off topic for this thread. Tomorrow I'm going to go into the Verizon building at 41st and Sixth and head up to a high floor to get some pics of the BoA site. I know where I can get my hands on a Verizon employee ID, so getting past security shouldn't be a problem.

I know where I can get my hands on a Verizon employee ID, so getting past security shouldn't be a problem. August 26th, 2005 10:20 PM
    lol, that sounds kinda scary but I know exaclty what you mean. At the risk of going a little off topic again I have to say that some buildings in NY have ridiculous security. Some of them any idiot can walk in as long as they have a "reason" which can be bs. I have to say 55 Water Str has the strictest security I have ever seen in NYC.

NY skyscraper history in the making (I don't remember a more exciting time for New York skyscraper watchers)...

August 27, 2005

Just keep in mind that this new skyscraper will tower beyond the Conde Naste and its antenna...

this is going to be the second tallest in NYC right?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyboy
    this is going to be the second tallest in NYC right?

At least until Freedom Tower passes either the ESB or the BOA...

Quote Originally Posted by sfenn1117
    The southern half of the United States, the part then controlled by Democrats. Yet somehow blacks kiss Democrats ass in todays world

Sorry to get so off topic this is my last post on this issue.
    Many of those Democrats defected to the GOP after the Civil Rights Act was signed. Strom Thurmond, Trent Lott, and Jesse Helms, just to name a few. Outside of their heroic stand for the Union and for Abolitionists during the Civil War, the Republicans sold blacks out after the 1876 election. Rutherford Hayes ended up winning electoral votes of Florida, South Carolina, and Louisiana after striking a deal with Southern Democrats (who could have supported Samuel Tilden, who won the popular vote.) The Southern Dems would support Hayes' right to have those state's Electoral Votes, on the condition that Hayes withdraw the last remaining Union troops in the South and end Reconstruction, as well as adopt a laissez-faire stance towards civil rights for blacks.

The construction site of the Bank of America Tower. 27 August 2005.

Hmmmm ... I though BofA was going to do something with the subway entrance at this corner. But in these photos the foundation looks like solid concrete all the way around. So much for public amenites.

^
    The subway stairs at 42nd and 6th are outside the property (foundation)line. As described earlier in this thread, there will be a glass entry pavilion within the property line at the northwest corner of Sixth and 42ndStreet. That would be at street level within the property line. It would be nice if the stairs were removed from the sidewalk, but it was also mentioned that the 42nd st sidewalk is to be widened by 5 feet.

The new underground passageway connecting 6th Ave and TS subways will get a new stairway entrance at midblock, at the arcade connecting to W43rd. Earlier photos showed digging outside the foundation at this area.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp
    ^
    The subway stairs at 42nd and 6th are outside the property (foundation)line. As described earlier in this thread, there will be a glass entry pavilion within the property line at the northwest corner of Sixth and 42ndStreet. That would be at street level within the property line. It would be nice if the stairs were removed from the sidewalk, but it was also mentioned that the 42nd st sidewalk is to be widened by 5 feet.

The new underground passageway connecting 6th Ave and TS subways will get a new stairway entrance at midblock, at the arcade connecting to W43rd. Earlier photos showed digging outside the foundation at this area.
    The stairs are within the property line and the lobby extends past them to the north

^
    It's difficult to tell from the two renderings...
    http://durst.org/prop/images/1bp/print/2.jpg
    http://durst.org/prop/images/1bp/print/3.jpg
    but is the stairway shed within the building overhang?

If it is, how is the stairway going to get past the foundation wall, which appears complete to street level in this photo.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp
    ... is the stairway shed within the building overhang?

If it is, how is the stairway going to get past the foundation wall, which appears complete to street level in this photo.
    That "stairway shed" looks like it will be in the same place as before: in the middle of the sidewalk (and that foundation wall is definitely solid concrete with no access to the subway station at the corner of 6th & 42nd).

Seems crazy that part of the deal for the BofA tower didn't include a more accessible entrance on this corner (ala the new entrances at 42nd / 7th that are incorporated into the new buildings).

It has been mentioned that there will be an stairway and entrance at mid-block. Does anyone know if this will give access to the Times Square station as well as the Bryant Park / 6th Ave. station?

The midblock stairway connects to the passageway, so it should also connect to the TS subway. That would be logical, but wait - the MTA is involved here.

Assuming there will be some sort of perimeter security, the sidewalk stairway might be a good idea - a "natural" barrier between the street and the building.

Default Subway Connection

The building at 42nd/7 is built to the property line. 1BP sets back from Sixth Avenue thus if the building were built full, the entrance would be with in the building. The subway connection does go from Sixth to Seventh Avenue Subway Stations with an entrance at the through block passage way. The through block passage way connects the streets between 42nd and 43rd.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1BP subwayplans.JPG 
Views:	2063 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	1116