Page 86 of 255 FirstFirst ... 367682838485868788899096136186 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,290 of 3814

Thread: The Bank of America Tower a.k.a. One Bryant Park - by Cook + Fox Architects

There's an animated rendering on www.durst.org that reveals angles of this building that are not seen in photos. I think that it's the most attractive building under construction in the US and one of the best in the world.

Thats the first i'm hearing of the subway connection between Bryant park station and Times Sq station. That is AWESOME! Brilliant idea.

hey, we could have ended up with the dreaded sunken plaza like GM, X,Y,Z, or Paramount Plaza
    The fact that it's better than the worst design imaginable does not make it desirable.

Bank of America is from Charlotte, NC. They're not used to sharing their office towers with stores and now with the fear of terrorism, you can just forget about having retail in their buildings.
    But it's okay to use vast quantities of fragile glass?

While I laud Durst and BOA for including improved subway access and a restored Miller theatre, it is still not the same as having retail in the sense of restaurants and stores on the 42nd street side.

Heck, they could be picky about the kind of shops, but at least something that would keep that stretch of 42nd street from becoming an extension of corporate 6th Avenue.

Skyscrapers and good retail can work together -- we've seen it happen.

At least NY Times and Hearst will both have some real streetlevel retail interaction.

It seems to be that the lobby for this is going to be at the corner of 42nd and 6th and goes up 6th to 43rd with those caged in trees. What is planned to be along the broad expanse of 42nd street. That of all should have been the most interactive part of the tower. main lobby or whatever.

Speaking of grabbing lunch, I believe that there are plenty of places to eat within a block or two of BofA. For example, there is a Chipotle Mexican Grill and a Pret a Manger on 42nd St. between 5th and 6th. There is also a Pax deli on the corner of 40th and 6th.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1
    Worse than the low-rise Pronto Pizza
    Hey, Pronto Pizza kicked ass

Speaking of grabbing lunch, I believe that there are plenty of places to eat within a block or two of BofA.
    I respectfully disagree. There is a real shortage of lunch picks in the area.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenius
    Speaking of grabbing lunch, I believe that there are plenty of places to eat within a block or two of BofA. For example, there is a Chipotle Mexican Grill and a Pret a Manger on 42nd St. between 5th and 6th. There is also a Pax deli on the corner of 40th and 6th.
    Chipotle serves one of the best burrito in NYC

Story of a Beam

On the southeast corner...

Workers are making final preparations

Meanwhile a beam makes its way from the northeast corner

Here it goes...

The beam has almost made its way to the southeast corner destination

Backed by Times Square Tower, completed in 2004

Damnit, I'm missing out on the installation process right around the corner

Now that the beam has been installed, the guy on the left decided to put some rhymes on the mic... or whatever the hell he's doing

I love it when the workers just stare at me like that. What you gonna do about me taking pics? Chase me down?

Quote Originally Posted by LeCom
    Hey, Pronto Pizza kicked ass
    Definitely -- the pizza is (was) great.

The building, though ... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

So, is it possible for NY to achieve a compromise? I mean, can we have nice new buildings which also create street-level retail spaces that a business like Pronto Pizza can move into?

Because basically, looking at the new tower from Bryant Park will be nice, but it would be even nicer to be able to look at it while munching a delicious slice of pizza.

Quote Originally Posted by MidtownGuy
    So, is it possible for NY to achieve a compromise? I mean, can we have nice new buildings which also create street-level retail spaces that a business like Pronto Pizza can move into?

Because basically, looking at the new tower from Bryant Park will be nice, but it would be even nicer to be able to look at it while munching a delicious slice of pizza.
    there is restaurant space available on 43 btw 6th and bway. some places are expensive, and some places arent. putting pronto pizza in BoA is like putting affordable housing in the plaza.

It's not the same thing at all. How do you compare the two? Business and housing aren't the same. You must have failed the analogy section of intelligence tests.

You also need to expand your range of thinking. My comment went beyond the specific corner of 6th and 42nd, and so should your analysis. I talked about a philosophical compromise for NY in general, where having shiny new towers doesn't mean excluding mid-range restaurants and retail from the streetscape. You don't have to throw a straw man into the discussion to sound clever.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

OK, so far I'm hearing people say, well there's plenty of restaurants, pizzerias nearby and there's a cafe in this corner or there's a kiosk here.

So what?

Times Square is right there, of course there's going to dining choices in the vicinity, but that does not take away from the fact that the long stretch from 6th and 42nd to Conde Nast will be a completely corporate sterile wall of glass and offers nothing interesting to a passerby or even someone who works there. Before, it had lots of retail and was a least interesting for pedestrians.

And where does it say Pronto pizzeria or a Tad's can't occupy the empty space that will be devoted to nothing useful other than some caged trees?