Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sony Building

Default The Sony Building

I think you miss the point. Nobody that I'm aware of has any problem with Johnson's homosexuality, least of all me... though I cannot truly speak for others. The point was in response to his supposed support of Hitler in the 30s. I had my doubts, and the fact that he was gay was one of the grounds for why I doubted he would have Nazi inclinations. However, I was proved incorrect. In spite of being gay, he did indeed support Hitler in the 30s.

I just found some pictures on file of the back of Sony showing the atrium inside and out. As it turns out, there isn't an archway on the back afterall.

Perhaps it was removed when the atrium was installed?

about the gay-hitler thing, some people, and theres some evidence for this, believe that hitler was gay and may have even been a gay prostitute in his youth. Theres some sites on the internet that say this. There is one thing that most people who care about this stuff agree on, Hitler was a caprophile, im not sure if its spelled correctly, anyway it means he likes to eat other peoples shit,feces, kaka etc. Theres also alot of talk about the inner circle of the nazis being gay. Either way he was one f*ck
    ed up guy, 3 of the women he had relationships attempted suicide after being with him. What does all of this have to do with architecture? Who knows!! I like the Sony building!

Forum Veteran

Heh, it was news to me, I must say. *There aren't many architects whose personal lives I particularly focused on, aside from maybe Raymond Hood. *And I certainly don't have a problem with Johnson's homosexuality. *Maybe with his stint as a Nazi sympathizer, but not because he's gay.

I just got around to reading that article, Chris. *Thank you very much for posting that. *As a bonus, it has more reasons for me to hate Eisenman too, as if I needed more.

(Edited by dbhstockton at 11:12 pm on Mar. 2, 2003)

And I must retract my statment about Johnson being evil. *He has apparently read enough Neitzche to be beyond such petty concepts as good and evil.

When AT&T moved its headquarters to 555 Madison, the 24 foot
    "Golden Boy" statue was moved from the corner tower of 195 Bway to the lobby of 555. When Sony took over the building, the statue was moved to Basking Ridge NJ. The statue is anatomically correct. Unnoticed high up on top of 195, this
    became a big issue with the statue on the ground, and the conservative AT&T had Golden Boy -errrr-castrated.

There was a fabulous, in-depth article about Mr. Johnson in general, and the AT&T (now Sony) Building in particular, sometime in 1977/78 in the New York Times magazine. Worth looking up, for anyone who is interested in this building. I had the article for several years, but misplaced it.

Among the things of interest about this building:

1. It was the first stone-clad major skyscraper in many a year. The architect's use of stone was, itself, "controversial." Architects for the 20 years or so prior to the AT&T building used glass curtain walls.
    2. It is an overbuilt building. Tall ceilings, massive structural steel, no expense spared, etc.
    3. Exterior was made of Stony Creek (Connecticut) pink granite, the same stone used for Grand Central Terminal, the base of the Statue of Liberty, and other significant structures. In fact, as I recall, the quarry had to be reopened specifically for this building.
    4. Johnson selected the stone, himself. One of the tests was to place various stone samples on the ground at the site location, and then to spray water on the samples to see how the stone would look.
    5. As the building was under construction, AT&T was under de-construction.

Most of this is from memory, so if anyone has clarifications/corrections, please fill me in. Thanks.

Forum Veteran

I thought that GCT was built with Indiana limestone, like the Empire State Building.

Default 08/01/05

Banned Member

Quote Originally Posted by TLOZ Link5
    I thought that GCT was built with Indiana limestone, like the Empire State Building.
    He means the old Penn Station.

jackx on Flickr
    December 15, 2006

Ah... the good ol' Sony building... I wish something like this would be built here in Auckland, it's look so awesome (but possibly out of place ).

This building is in both Spider-Man 1 and 2 (the games). The number of hoursI have spent playing those games and just spending my free time sitting in the middle of the little hole in the top... good times.

Default More info on that granite

Correcting a reader's response to my earlier post, I did indeed mean that Stony Creek granite was used at Grand Central, not Penn Station as suggested. This is not to say Stony Creek granite was the sole choice of stone, only that it was used there...I believe you'll see it as you enter from the west side of GCT. Above a certain height the exterior reverts to limestone. Stony Creek granite is particularly attractive.

For more info on the Stony Creek quarries, check out:

http://www.branford-ct.gov/History/S...20Quarries.htm

Default Ice falls, breaks atrium skylights

Ice Falls Into Atrium in Sony Building
    By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
    Published: February 28, 2010

Filed at 5:55 a.m. ET

NEW YORK (AP) -- Fire officials say ice has broken through a glass atrium at the Sony Building in New York City and 10 people have sustained minor injuries.

A spokesman for the New York City Fire Department says ice and glass fell into the lobby area of the Madison Avenue building on Saturday night.

The spokesman said no one was seriously hurt, and that the injured were taken to area hospitals. A spokeswoman at Roosevelt Hospital in Manhattan says four of the injured were taken there with minor injuries.

No other information about the incident was immediately available.

The New York Post and celebrity Web site TMZ reported Sunday that ''Jersey Shore'' cast member Nicole ''Snooki'' Polizzi was among those attending a party in the building. The Web sites reported Polizzi said on Twitter after the incident: ''Omg roof just collapsed!''

A call and e-mail to Polizzi's agent was not immediately returned.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2010...llapse.html?hp

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast