Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sony Building

Default Sony Building

Does anyone have any good pictures of the Sony Building? Especially shots of the arch area would be nice.

Thanks!

Default The Sony Building

The last Couple pictures were taken from Wired New York!

Hope this helps you out djcomlab!

Forum Veteran

What a great building. *Such muscular verticality for a 650-footer with less than 40 stories.

Thanks Maniac, I've seen all of those before, but its cool to see them all in one place. What I haven't seen is a street level side shot.

Sorry I couldnt help you out...here are some more though...

I'll be willing to help you get the exact shot you want...I know your looking for a different angle...I'll keep my eyes open.

From thecityreview.com...

Thanks Bak! Those are the best front pics I've ever seen. That last one must be a side shot from the inside out.

I love the lobby and arcades. *One of the best post-modern buildings anywhere because you can tell Johnson actually studied Rennaissance architecture and quoted it with integrity and rigor. *So much post-modern quotation of past styles is half-assed and insulting.

I once remembered seeing a commercial for Mountain Dew where a skateboarder was on the rooftop catching it while other skateboarders were in the elevator.

What is the purpose of the indoor plaza? It seems pointless to me, unless the building was constructed during the time where buildings could go against the zoning laws if it had a high enough FAR, I think it was. Correct me if I'm wrong

Forum Veteran

Johnson designed the building for AT&T with an open arcade at the base. *When AT&T moved to Jersey and Sony took over the building as its headquarters, it enclosed the arcade and added a large glass atrium flush with the arches to maximize street-level retail space so that more shops and such could fit in--hence, more revenue. *The City Review has lamented the change ever since, but I've been inside I think it's pretty nice.

I didn't realise until now there's an arch on the Atrium side too.

It was the first building Johnson did after the departure of Eli Attia as Chief of Design at Johnson/Burgee Architects. With Attia's 101 Park Avenue going up at the same time, there was what might be viewed as an honorable competition among peers between these two buildings. Did Attia's departure ultimately precipitate in Johnson's shift to post modernism? Attia was Chief of Design for both the Crystal Cathedral and Pennzoil Towers before leaving Johnson to venture out on his own.

Johnson/Burgee Architects' Crystal Cathedral with Attia:

Johnson/Burgee Architects' Pennzoil Towers with Attia:

Attia's 101 Park Avenue:

Johnson's Chippendale Building:

Personally, I've always thought Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas made the perfect companion to Johnson's Chippendale Building.

(Edited by chris at 2:04 pm on Feb. 26, 2003)

Not quite.

Come on, Robert Venturi and Denise Scott Brown's Learning from Las Vegas (buy at Amazon) has been a very influentual book within Post Modernist Circles.

Personally, I've always thought Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas made the perfect companion to Johnson's Chippendale Building:

I'm sure the Chippendale Building had an influence on Caesar's Palace... Come *on, how could it not?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast