Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposed - Office Tower - 1800 Park Avenue at 125th Street - by Swanke Hayden Connell

I dont really understand the article. Is the author supportive of the whore-hotel?

It seems to be just the average, run of the mill "contrasts of gentrification" human interest story.

Ha. I think he's just setting the scene. Fancy hotel plopped down across from hourly-rate hotel. Weird situation in an area without any other "nice" hotels and where it's not uncommon for hotel customers to pan-handle for their room rental.

Default Nothin' going on

Quote Originally Posted by greenie
    Ha. I think he's just setting the scene. Fancy hotel plopped down across from hourly-rate hotel. Weird situation in an area without any other "nice" hotels and where it's not uncommon for hotel customers to pan-handle for their room rental.
    It's only weird if the thing actually gets built. I was going through the Times Square Plaza thread and somebody said that project had the longest lag for a groundbreaking - but I think this project has it beat. I go by on the train fairly often and there is NOTHING HAPPENING. I suppose if someone had some info it would be posted...

Default I think this is wonderful

I am a former but always at heart Harlemite (born in Harlem, grew up in Grant Houses), i am very glad to see this. But I think true Harlemites would love to see The Theresa Hotel restored to its former glory. Where else is there such an historic building. Please let's get this party started and restore the Theresa Hotel. My parents honeymooned there in 1950. I can't find any pictures of the former interior. Please if you have some post them here for viewing. I'm a collector of Harlem memorablia, and my collection has no original memorablia from the Theresa Hotel.

Some newer renderings. The humps appear to be gone now.
    http://www.ten-arquitectos.com/harlem.html

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Oh no. Those humps were the most interesting part. Now it just looks boxy.

Banned Member

I liked the "humps" but once the building was scaled down, it wasn't an effective a design feature.

That is a total shame. I love those "humps".

What a waste. It's been reduced to slabtacularity. Now it'll just look like one of the more imaginative communist housing blocks surrounding Prague.

Is there still no activity at the site??

great. they've removed the most unique aspect of the design. It's not nearly so dynamic. i used to love it. now it is a big Yawn. Next they'll probably remove the colors on the facade.

Imagine how the light would have played along the undulating surfaces...

another one bites the dust.oh well, this IS new york.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Here's the forlorn-looking site right now (curbed.com):

Here's the waterdowned redesign:

Harlem Park hotel stalled amid doubts
    Developer's viability questioned; other local projects at risk

By Lisa Fickenscher
    Published on January 09, 2006

A much-ballyhooed project to build the first hotel in Harlem in 40 years is unacceptably behind schedule.

The numerous false starts are frustrating local business leaders, who have begun to call for the ouster of the developer if significant progress is not made soon. A groundbreaking ceremony with Gov. George Pataki and Mayor Michael Bloomberg took place last February, but nothing has happened since.

Harlem Park was announced in 2003 as a $236 million mixed-use project, including a 204-room Marriott hotel and 600,000 square feet of commercial and residential space. The hotel, located at Park Avenue and East 125th Street, was originally scheduled to open last month.

But no construction work has begun on the lot, which has two-year-old signs boasting that the complex is "coming soon." Many in the community believe that the developer, Majic Development Group, lacks the financing to begin work.

"People are asking why it is taking this long," says Lloyd Williams, chief executive of the Greater Harlem Chamber of Commerce. "And the question they have is about the economic viability of [Majic]."

Majic's principle executive, Michael Caridi, claims that his firm has the financial wherewithal to complete the project. He says that a big reason for the delay is oil contamination that construction crews discovered a year ago on the site, a parking lot owned by the New York College of Podiatric Medicine. Establishing a cleanup plan with city and state environmental agencies took a long time, according to Mr. Caridi; the cleanup program has yet to begin.

Other developers could take over

Nevertheless, others are losing faith in Majic, pointing to the firm's quest for additional capital. At least one early investor and supporter, music mogul Kevin Liles, is no longer involved in Harlem Park.

It's possible that well-respected developers will join the project. They could even replace Majic.

"Michael Caridi has been in active negotiation with investors, which include other developers who are very significant in the city," says Kenneth Knuckles, chief executive of the Upper Manhattan Empowerment Zone.

Mr. Caridi says that he is "not allowed to discuss anything right now" regarding other investors or developers, but he maintains that an announcement is imminent.

Marriott officials, for their part, say that they remain committed to the project.

Community leaders are worried because other projects are on hold until Harlem Park gets under way to anchor that part of upper Manhattan, they say. If construction does not begin soon, developers that have been waiting to move ahead with projects may decide to abandon them.

Community wants answers

"It's fair to say that [the community] wants to be more aggressively part of the process to determine whether this will move forward with Majic, or to recommend that another developer be considered," says Mr. Williams of the Greater Harlem Chamber.

In the meantime, local leaders want answers from Mr. Caridi. Community Board 11, which represents the neighborhood, wants a full report now on where the project stands.

"We understand that large-scale development takes time," says Javier Llano, district manager of the community board. "But after a groundbreaking, it's time for him to come back to us and say why construction hasn't started yet."

Majic angered the community in 2004 when it revealed its design plans for Harlem Park, which will make the government-approved complex the tallest building in the area.

Architectural plans were redrawn to downsize the project, but it will still tower over the rest of the neighborhood.

©2005 Crain Communications Inc.

Harlem Park plan revamp
    Stalled project gets new partners, funds; proposal is to expand scale

By Lisa Fickenscher
    Published on January 16, 2006

The stalled Harlem Park project is being dramatically reconfigured with new investors, developers and more space, according to sources close to the negotiations.

Three partners will soon announce that they have reached an agreement to replace the original developer, Majic Development Group. They are Vornado Realty Trust; community-based startup Integrated Holdings, led by Derek Johnson, a former chief executive of the Apollo Theater; and San Francisco-based and minority-owned MacFarlane Partners.

Long-awaited hotel

Harlem Park, a mixed-use development at Park Avenue and East 125th Street with residential and commercial components, is to include the first hotel in Harlem in 40 years. The new developers want to expand the project by buying the entire parcel currently occupied by the owner, the New York College of Podiatric Medicine. The school would then relocate.

The developers may also replace Marriott, which is designated as the hotel's operator.

Majic's principle executive, Michael Caridi, will continue to have a development role, according to his lawyer, Michael Bailkin. Sources close to the project say Mr. Caridi's relationship with the college and the community had soured because of the long delay in beginning construction. Earlier this month, Mr. Caridi denied that funding was a problem.

At a recent community board meeting, Mr. Caridi said he is partnering with two major investors to buy the land from the college.

©2005 Crain Communications Inc.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast