Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Brooklyn proposal, borough's tallest

Default Brooklyn proposal, borough's tallest

Great buildings. They're currently u/c right?

Forum Veteran

No. That's a conceptual design.

Only one of the new buildings in the rendering is a serious proposal right now, on top of the Gallery at Metrotech.

The designs work for me. *I hope they use a lot of glass.

Quote: from Evan on 9:18 am on May 17, 2003
    I agree.

Quote: from DominicanoNYC on 9:13 pm on May 18, 2003
    Quote: from Evan on 9:18 am on May 17, 2003
    I agree.
    With all due respect, you guys are nuts. When did Brooklyn become (or want to be) Houston? We have a culture and tradition here, and it calls for masonry facades. There's no law that says brilliant cutting edge architecture has to be glass.

There's no law that states architecture in Brooklyn must use masonry just for the sake of it. It is done to look traditional but is a custom common to all architectural backwaters, not a Brooklyn tradition. It makes no sense because the openness glass can provide is a possibility with fewer and fewer technical drawbacks. To reject that openness is a sign of social, not only architectural, conservatism. A place's identity is not defined by something as limited as a building material.

[quote]Quote: from ddjiii on 3:05 pm on May 25, 2003
    With all due respect, you guys are nuts. When did Brooklyn become (or want to be) Houston? We have a culture and tradition here, and it calls for masonry facades. There's no law that says brilliant cutting edge architecture has to be glass.
    Times change. *And this proposal for Brooklyn only makes it better. *Having new glass towers to complement the old masonry towers will only add to the culture of Brooklyn. *

Times change. *And this proposal for Brooklyn only makes it better. *Having new glass towers to complement the old masonry towers will only add to the culture of Brooklyn. *
    Fully agree, feeling obligated to pay respect to the past and to completly ignore the present is the wrong attitude. The era we are reproducing was modern in its own right pushing the envelope at its own time, unless we are to admit the defeat of Brooklyn as an expanding entity, we must build to the full extent of the modern, today.

Banned Member

On the Flatbush side of the Galleria, on th parking structure, Thor Equities has posted a large billboard with a rendering of a 50+ story glass tower. *Nice design - but it does say, "Will build to suit". *

Forum Veteran

Please... take a picture...?

Quote: from BrooklynRider on 9:11 am on June 2, 2003
    *Nice design - but it does say, "Will build to suit". *
    I'm guessing that means the interior spaces.

I was planning to go to Downtown BK to get some photos after next week, but if no one gets a photo soon I'll have to make a special trip for the billboard pic. *I really want to see that rendering!

Banned Member

Sorry - no camera here. *

Why is everybody knockin JC. Jersey City could practically be another borough with all the businees over here. Remeber Brooklyn is part of NYC. Its not an individual city unlike us. Don't get me wrong I love Brooklyn I gotta alot of family *and friends over there. But don't insult us. Were not tryin to steal businees form NYC intenionally, but with Bloomberg rasing the sales and property taxes, JC is looking more appitizing. The rest of NJ for that matter. Just look JC: 3% sales tax compared to NYC: 8.75%. More businees is gonna start comin over here. We have alot of retail as well, we have 6 major shopping centers. This just forces NYC to ante up. Just think about this-NYC and JC twin cities on oppostie sides of the Hudson. JC needs NYC and NYC needs JC. Another thing JC is well connected. We have the Light Rail that is eventually gonna go from the southern most tip of Bayonne, all the way to Teaneck, already going from 34th St in Bayonne to Hobken already, connecting to the PATH system in downtown JC, Hoboken Terminal, and Port Imperial in Weehawken, the PATH which runs from Newark Penn Stat. to 33rd and eventually Lower Manhattan in the near future. There are 5 path stations in Manhattan and 4 in JC, 14 Light Rail stops in JC, and 7 Ferry Slips, which will increase to 11 when GS builds there ferry terminal. Not to mention we have Hoboken terminal right next to Downtown JC, which has trains coming in from all over NJ, which brings people into NYC and JC, then connects to the Light Rail and Path. We have Journal Square Port Authority Terminal where regional buses come from and NYC and NJ, and is the major station for PATH. So find the facts out first before you start knockin us and sayin that we have no annemities.

Forum Veteran

We said that....?

Seriously, welcome to the Wired New York Forum.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast