Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Brooklyn proposal, borough's tallest

Default Brooklyn proposal, borough's tallest

Daily News...
    City may give lift to B'klyn high-rise

Developer Joseph Sitt has towering plans for Downtown Brooklyn - and the city may help.

Sitt, a 38-year-old real estate and clothing impresario, owns the Gallery at MetroTech, located at the Brooklyn complex.

Renovations turning it into a mock-up of Las Vegas' Bellagio Hotel should be done by December, Sitt says.

But he has bigger plans for the 150,000-square-foot parcel, only part of which is occupied by the Gallery. In his office sit designs for a 33-story office building he says will be the borough's tallest.

The 1.2 million-square-foot building will include 325,000 square feet of shopping, a 380,000-square-foot hotel with sky lobby and 500,000 square feet of office space.

He has solicited designs from three prominent architects, including Kohn Pedersen Fox, designers of class-A Manhattan office buildings.

There's one problem. Current zoning doesn't allow a building of that size. But that could change later this year.

Sources told the Daily News the city will propose a zoning change allowing larger-scale development in Downtown Brooklyn, especially along Willoughby Street. Sitt's building would rise at Willoughby and Flatbush.

"I'm the cornerstone of the plan," Sitt said.

Current zoning doesn't allow a building of that size
    Like I once said, zoning is a hindrance to development.
    It makes even less sense when it's changed all the time according to the needs of the market.

Sources told the Daily News the city will propose a zoning change allowing larger-scale development in Downtown Brooklyn, especially along Willoughby Street.
    Hopefully, this will mean larger things for Downtown Brooklyn...

Brooklyn, with much better transportation than either Jersey City or Long Island City, should be a main focus of developement in the metropolitan area. Also, being so close to downtown it can only help with the revival of downtown that Mayor wants so much.

Be careful when you say Brooklyn has better transportation than Jersey City. *While there are plenty of subways, bridges, expressways, and railroads for residents of Long Island and NYC, the picture is much less accomodating from New jersey and the rst of the continent. *Brooklyn should be a major hub of development in the NYC metro area, but it's not currently physically feasible for it to be the main focus of development.

I agree that it shouldn't be the main focus for the area but it should be [i]a[/a] main focus for the city. Too much attention is paid to LIC compared to Brooklyn IMO.

Probably because LIC is much more underutilized than Brooklyn, hence has more potential for development.

Banned Member

I'm sure the opinion has been communicated before, but, once again, I think that, purely from a skyline perspective, Brooklyn needs a distinctive tower. *

(Edited by BrooklynRider at 1:11 pm on Mar. 5, 2003)

I agree.
    Even a 750-ft tower would be awesome... whereas in Manhattan there are dozens of them that remain mostly unseen.

Sad to say, Brooklyn's skyline is lackluster. The development in Downtown is much too conservative.

The WSB has to be surpassed sooner or later, and it can be Brooklyn's tallest building forever.

Forum Veteran

The building would take the place of a multilevel open parking structure.

I don't know about the height though. How can it be 512ft+? 33 floors including a hotel doesn't make sense with that. Although he could be saying a tower on top of the Gallery which would be two more floors. But that really wouldn't do it either.

I often wonder why this hasn't happened before. I can only hope the building will be something different. There's too much cautious postmodernism in the area. And no towers... just stubby buildings that may have height but bad proportioning.

There's a site across Duffield Street from here that would also be excellent for development. A surface parking lot and two rundown buildings. I'd put a 30-50 floor residential there, but that's just me..

Good news either way.

Forum Veteran

I think part of the rezoning is to include more height, but also more residential, so it will be a more mixed high-rise area, more of a "24-hour" (to use a buzz term) area.

I hope they get moving, b/c I do think this area is a better alternative for companies than Jersey City. *Get the zoning and the incentives right, and Brooklyn will really boom.

And with the height - I assume the retail and hotel will have higher ceilings than a normal office building.

It would be nice if it was aroung 70 stories and had closer to 1mil sq. ft of office, plus the rest. *But, you can't be too picky.

There is currently a 495-foot height limit in the commercial zone of downtown Brooklyn, and much lower height limits in some other areas surrounding Metrotech. A tower as tall as the Goldman Sachs in Jersey City is unlikely for now. Nevertheless, Brooklyn could use something that goes up to 495 feet, something that approaches the WIlliamsburg Bank.

Do you think he'll really be able to get zoning changes? Im so sick of the cautiousness nowadays. No one wants to build tall. It'd be great to get some skyscrapers in Brooklyn, do you think it's really a possibility? By the way if you have any more info on this can you post the site? Thanks

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast