Page 1 of 77 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: The Memorial Competition

Default The Memorial Competition

March 14, 2003

9/11 Memorial Will Pay Tribute to All Victims

By EDWARD WYATT

A memorial to the victims of Sept. 11 will recognize all of those killed as a single group rather than as members of separate groups like firefighters, rescue workers or World Trade Center tenants, rebuilding officials said yesterday.

Directors of the Lower Manhattan Development Corporation agreed at a board meeting yesterday to adopt a resolution laying out the guidelines for the memorial's content, including the provision that all the victims receive comparable recognition.

The agency also extended a contract with Daniel Libeskind, the architect whose design for the World Trade Center site was chosen for development, to allow him to do further work on the design of the memorial area at the site. Including the $180,000 extension approved yesterday, Mr. Libeskind has so far earned $548,817 for his work.

The agreement on a single memorial will be formalized by a vote of the board next month, John C. Whitehead, the chairman of the board, said yesterday. The vote was delayed until the board's April meeting pending the drafting of a formal resolution, but none of the 10 board members attending yesterday expressed disagreement with the provision.

The issue of whether to separately identify groups of victims, particularly uniformed rescue workers, has been the subject of a discussion for months. Firefighters' groups and others have testified publicly and written letters to the development corporation supporting a separate tribute.

John Finucane, a retired Fire Department lieutenant who helped put together the group Advocates for a 9/11 Fallen Heroes Memorial, said in an interview yesterday that the rescue workers who were killed deserved recognition apart from the others.

"I've heard people say that they were just doing their job," Mr. Finucane said of the firefighters and other rescue workers who died in the collapse of the twin towers. "But a firefighter knows when he's not supposed to be somewhere. And once those firefighters knew what they had in that building, and they decided to keep going up anyway, they were no longer doing their job."

Stephen J. Cassidy, the president of the Uniformed Firefighters Association, said there should be "some designation for those people who died willingly, who risked their lives to save others, as opposed to those who were tragically caught up in the consequences" of the attack.

Several groups representing victims' families said they felt otherwise. "We believe each individual who lost their life on that tragic day should be treated with honor and extraordinary respect," said Edie Lutnick, the executive director of the Cantor Fitzgerald Relief Fund. Nearly 700 employees of Cantor, a bond investment and trading firm that was in the trade center, were killed in the attack.

Thomas S. Johnson, a development corporation director whose son, a financial analyst at Keefe, Bruyette & Woods, was killed at the trade center, said a committee of directors overseeing the development of the memorial "feels very strongly that what is called for is one memorial."

"That's got to be stated," Mr. Johnson said. "It should be very clear that that is a policy of this board." Speaking to reporters after the meeting, Mr. Johnson added, "One memorial could have four separate pieces, but not four pieces for four different groups."
    The development corporation's board also discussed revisions to the memorial mission statement and program, which identifies the design elements that will be included in the memorial competition.

Among them, the board called for the memorial to say that those killed in the attack were "murdered by terrorists."

Previously, a draft statement said simply that the victims were "killed."

Another revision calls for the memorial to "enhance the sacred quality of the overall site" rather than just the space designated for the memorial. And a principle that called for the memorial to "evolve over time with our understanding of the events" was modified to say simply "evolve over time." A report by the development corporation said that the change reflected the view of many "that it would be impossible to understand the rationale of such a savage attack."

Copyright 2003 The New York Times Company

Default Memorial Guidelines

And a principle that called for the memorial to "evolve over time with our understanding of the events" was modified to say simply "evolve over time."
    What's the point of this principle ?
    I don't like it. As if the history had to be rewritten.

Star Ledger...

WTC memorial to include the'93 victims

Friday, March 14, 2003

BY RON MARSICO

NEW YORK -- Tributes to the victims of the 1993 and 2001 attacks on the World Trade Center will be incorporated in one memorial at the devastated site, the planners of Ground Zero's future said yesterday.

The Lower Manhattan Development Corp. will include remembrances to the six people killed in the 1993 bombing in a memorial to be built on the site where more than 2,800 died on 9/11.

LMDC officials are revising the memorial mission statement to prominently include the victims of the bomb that exploded in an underground parking garage. The statement, expected to be approved next month, says the memorial's goal is, in part, to: "remember and honor the thousands of innocent men, women and children murdered by terrorists in the horrific attacks of Feb. 26, 1993, and Sept. 11, 2001."

Family members of the six who died in the bombing have clamored for more recognition for their loved ones in the wake of 9/11. Last month, on the 10th anniversary of the first attack, officials announced that a piece from the original red granite memorial, which was destroyed on 9/11, would be included in a rebuilt, temporary tribute to the six.

"We're all thrilled to be included," said Michael Macko, whose father, William Macko of Bayonne, was killed. "It's so important to us not to be forgotten. ...We were never looking for anything separate, just to be included."

The LMDC plans an international design competition this spring for the memorial, with a tentative goal of selecting a winner by Sept. 11, the second anniversary of the destruction of the Twin Towers by the hijackers of two airliners.

LMDC board member Thomas Johnson, whose son Scott was killed on 9/11, said agency members formulating the criteria for a memorial felt "strongly that there be one memorial with no hierarchy" of victims. Other board members agreed and an official vote is expected next month.

Tom Roger of New Haven, Conn., whose 24-year-old daughter, Jean, was aboard one of the hijacked planes, agreed with the idea of one memorial and giving the victims of the 1993 attack prominent mention in the mission statement.

"From the beginning, we've pretty much agreed that was a reasonable thing to do," said Roger, who serves on the LMDC's memorial committee

The Heroes Park will do enough to honor the rescuers.

Another revision calls for the memorial to "enhance the sacred quality of the overall site" rather than just the space designated for the memorial.

How can that be achieved? Is it even desirable?

I think it would be a good idea to have a design competition held by wired new york for the wtc memorial design.....then submitted by wired new york....it may hold more clout than say a design submitted by joe blow....anyone interested in that, yes, no, maybe so...? *

Another revision calls for the memorial to "enhance the sacred quality of the overall site" rather than just the space designated for the memorial.

How can that be achieved? Is it even desirable?
    If it means that it shouldn't overwhelm or clash with the rest of the site then I can understand it. Otherwise, I can't quite imagine what it would be.

I'll say this about the much maligned pit, it certainly clearly demarcates how far the memorial can extend its tendrils into the site.

I think it would be a good idea to have a design competition held by wired new york for the wtc memorial design.....
    I have what I think is a good idea for the memorial but doubt that I have the artistic or rendering abilities to present it properly.

Tendrils?

That's a good one.
    Memorial Kudzu.

I only noticed one thing in reading through the site that I'm disappointed in. They require 2500 sq. ft. for a place for the un-identified remains of the victims.

There is also a requirement for an area for family members and loved ones of victims. I wonder if they are going to issue special badges for access?

Forum Veteran

Time to play Devil's Advocate, and with quite generic language...

I can understand the families' desire for special access to the memorial. *They are the most affected out of any of us who weren't in—or near—the buildings when the attack occured. *If they want to—shall I say—"be with" their loved ones, I don't think it's necessarily fair that they should be forced to wait on a huge line amongst thousands of tourists who will not feel the same personal connection to the site as they would.

How security or park rangers or whoever would police the memorial would be able to distinguish between a geniune family member and someone who simply wants to skip the line is something to debate, however.

April 29, 2003

In 9/11 Design, Rules Are Set to Be Broken
    By EDWARD WYATT

Officials overseeing the competition to design a memorial to the victims of the terrorist attack of Sept. 11, 2001, and the 1993 bombing of the World Trade Center promised yesterday that all entries would be considered, even those that stray from the official guidelines for the placement and content of the memorial.

At a news conference announcing the start of the design competition, some of the jurors who will select the winner encouraged entrants to challenge those boundaries. Maya Lin, the designer of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial and one of 13 jurors in the World Trade Center competition, challenged entrants to come up with "a new way of defining what a memorial can be."

Another juror, James E. Young, a scholar with expertise in memorials and remembrance, said of entrants: "Anything they might have in mind, any response, will be considered here. We want architects and artists — anybody who submits — to feel they can go where their imaginations, where their mourning needs to take them in order to articulate some relationship to this terrible loss."

In essentially voiding some of the guidelines that they had just released, the officials said they were trying to signal that neither the memorial competition nor the jury would be influenced by the kind of political pressure that shaped the selection of Daniel Libeskind's design for the trade center site.

Earlier this year, a committee of directors of the Lower Manhattan Development Corporation recommended a design by a group called Think, one of two finalists in the site competition. Think proposed two latticework towers as a symbolic replacement for the destroyed twin towers.

But Gov. George E. Pataki and Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg, who favored Mr. Libeskind's design, overruled the directors.

Kevin Rampe, the interim president of the development corporation, which is overseeing the competition, said yesterday that officials were open to the possibility that "it may take going outside of those guidelines" for competitors to express their creativity.

As an example of breaking boundaries, Dr. Young pointed to Ms. Lin, who he said "broke some of the rules on the way to her spectacular Vietnam Veterans Memorial," and to Mr. Libeskind, the architect of the site design, who "had to break all kinds of rules to make his design."

Mr. Libeskind will be a technical consultant to the jury, but he will not be involved in the selection of the winning design, Mr. Rampe said.

Competitors have until May 29 to register and until June 30 to submit their designs. The field will be narrowed to about five finalists, and the winner will be selected in the fall, officials said.

The officials said that all entries must conform to the display guidelines published by the development corporation. Those can be seen at www.wtcsitememorial.org on the Internet or obtained by faxing a request, with the entrant's mailing address, to 800-717-5699.

A $25 entry fee is required to register for the competition. Officials said the money would go toward building the memorial.

The guidelines say that competitors may create a memorial "of any type, shape, height or concept," that includes five physical elements: a recognition of each victim of the attacks; an area for quiet contemplation; a separate area for visitation by the families of the victims; a 2,500-square-foot area for the unidentified human remains collected at the trade center site; and a way to make visible the footprints of the original twin towers.

Officials expect all those elements to be placed within the 4.5 acres bounded by the walls built to hold back the waters of the Hudson River. The walls are at the center of Mr. Libeskind's design.

But the guidelines also note that areas outside the sunken area can be included in a design and "may be considered by the jury if, in collaboration with the Lower Manhattan Development Corporation, they are deemed feasible and consistent with site plan objectives."

The jury, made up largely of artists, museum curators and design professionals, also includes a downtown resident and the spouse of a victim of the 9/11 attack.

Paula Grant Berry, a juror whose husband, David, was killed at the trade center, said the memorial would "be for all the people of New York and really for the world, but especially for all the families."

Ms. Berry added: "I am determined that a memorial be built where we will be proud to bring our children. We must never lose sight of why we are doing this and who we are doing it for. Magnificent people died, and we must be magnificent in how we honor them."

Asked what advice she had for those entering the competition, Ms. Lin said: "You enter a competition not necessarily to win but to say what you truly believe needs to be done there. I think you should think about what could a memorial be here. Is it a place? Is it an object? Does it frame the site? I hope we get submissions from people who just believe that their solution is right."

Copyright 2003*The New York Times Company

TLOZ, do you really think there would be a line to get into the memorial? Interesting, I wasn't envisioning it like that. I sort of thought it more like the Washington Memorials - enter wherever and whenever. Maybe on Sept. 11 and other big days relatives of course should have preferred access, but other than that, providing "a separate area for visitation by the families of the victims" is one rule I would certainly break.

(Edited by NYatKNIGHT at 11:40 am on April 29, 2003)

I only envisioned a line at the museum entrance, but there are three other access points, two on the corners of West St. I wonder if there will be controlled entry at these places?

I can't imagine the process would be anything like the Statue of Liberty, for example. Security presence for sure, but a controlled line and a bag check?

Picture both the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and the Vietnam Memorial wall. There are multiple access points, people just walk up to it, but the mood is serious and somber, and with the presence of guards the site is respected and protected.

Forum Veteran

Perhaps, but most Washington memorials have buffer zones between them and the streets to prevent crowding when visitors approach them. *New York is obviously too dense to afford that sort of space. *I could obviously be wrong about this.

Banned Member

Quote: from JMGarcia on 5:20 pm on April 28, 2003
    They require 2500 sq. ft. for a place for the un-identified remains of the victims.
    Assuming the area required is being dictated by the amount of unidentified remains, it is a bit staggering to imagine how much of the remains haven't been identified.

Page 1 of 77 123451151 ... LastLast