Page 100 of 176 FirstFirst ... 509096979899100101102103104110150 ... LastLast
Results 1,486 to 1,500 of 2634

Thread: New Penn Station (Moynihan Station)

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    Though most of us have already known this, reading this in an article just sounds amazing.
    I agree!

The Dude Abides

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    If these towers and the new station look anything like what we saw in those teaser renderings that was leaked out a couple of months here and quickly retracted, then I am not impressed.
    What towers? All I saw was renderings of the new station. And while it's no masterpiece, still:

Quote Originally Posted by NYSun
    "The whole place will be flooded with daylight," the president of the developers' Moynihan Station Venture team, Vishaan Chakrabarti, said. He called it "a dramatically nicer space that, again, is larger than the main room at Grand Central."
    The scale alone, along with the opening of the station's netherregions to natural light, will go a long way toward restoring some sense of respectability to Penn. Will it be as majestic as the old one? No, but I'll take it. Between this, Grand Central, and Calatrava's downtown station, New York will have 3 high-quality train terminals, and that ain't bad. Certainly better than the one we have now.

Now, let's get on with building those towers.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman11686 View Post
    What towers? All I saw was renderings of the new station. And while it's no masterpiece, still:
    Two supertowers in this area will make midtown south look phenomenal. Hopefully their heights won't be all in their spires.

The scale alone, along with the opening of the station's netherregions to natural light, will go a long way toward restoring some sense of respectability to Penn. Will it be as majestic as the old one? No, but I'll take it. Between this, Grand Central, and Calatrava's downtown station, New York will have 3 high-quality train terminals, and that ain't bad. Certainly better than the one we have now.

Now, let's get on with building those towers.
    Yes, Penn will not be a hideous cave anymore. Plus with 2 adjacent train stations (potentially another under Macy's), Calatrava's, and GC of course - all the more to confuse tourists.

I hope that once this area takes off, the horrible cluster of ten, high rise brick projects between 8th and 9th in the 20's are razed.

LL: How many times does it have to be said --

Those ^^^ are not "projects", but privately owned housing built by union workers many years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    LL: How many times does it have to be said --

Those ^^^ are not "projects", but privately owned housing built by union workers many years ago.
    I know, but they look like projects.

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post
    it includes two towers whose spires will be taller than 1,400 feet..
    In the age of the Burj Dubai, many would say it is about time.

But will they be substantial, attractive spires, or a couple of 500' toothpicks tacked on a flat top? People can say what they want about the buildings going up in Dubai, but one thing I like is that the majority of them do something interesting where they meet the sky. I hope these two new towers have worthy crowns.

Well, if ever there was a good place to put the huge number of workers that 2 1400 foot towers would hold its on top of Penn St. The transportation is the best the city has to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by MidtownGuy View Post
    But will they be substantial, attractive spires, or a couple of 500' toothpicks tacked on a flat top? People can say what they want about the buildings going up in Dubai, but one thing I like is that the majority of them do something interesting where they meet the sky. I hope these two new towers have worthy crowns.
    That's a huge worry for me. As much as I want 1 World Trade Center to get built already, I still loath that toothpick of a spire stuck on the top. If we really want to reach 1,776 feet, then let's build to 1,776 feet.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

What towers? All I saw was renderings of the new station.
    You must've missed those. Anyway, all I saw was two somewhat boxy towers with a few cuts and slashes here and there.

It was not very exciting at all, at least to me. Oh, and the tops were flat so the spires might be tacked on like the FT's.

The station was just as disappointing, just lots of glass but little in the way of artistic design.

Like NYguy said, I'm hoping those weren't the latest plans.

Architectural Padawan

If the city provides unlimited FAR to the project, wouldn't it be safe to assume that the buildings will be more substantial? Spires are used to raise the total height of the building for marketing purposes when there isn't enough of FAR to build any taller afterall. If they're given unlimited, I'd like to think that the sky's the limit on what's possible (I think the pun was intended).

A guy sitting behind me on Metro North tonight was talking about this project. He must work for Vornado because he pulled out a brochure and was showing someone. Sadly, the train was too crowded for me to turn around and ask to see it. I overheard him confirming the Sun's article re tall towers which he described as twins.

At any rate, overhearing this conversation reinforced that this project is for real. I believe that it will really move forward soon.

I admit I have a problem

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc View Post
    Plenty of pressure to redevelop the Garment District.

Great news about Penn Station.

We'd better landmark the surrounding area like crazy before the good stuff gets torn down.
    (This is my home ... I promise to take some pix in the next few weeks.)

If it was up to me, I'd preserve anything above eight stories that was built before 1950, and uncork all height limits on the remaining land. Build high. YIMBY.

Banned Member

It is real. The company I'm at is a consultant on it, although I have few details myself.