Page 101 of 176 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104105111151 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,515 of 2633

Thread: New Penn Station (Moynihan Station)

Banned Member

It is real. The company I'm at is a consultant on it, although I have few details myself.

Quote Originally Posted by 212 View Post
    Great news about Penn Station.

We'd better landmark the surrounding area like crazy before the good stuff gets torn down.
    (This is my home ... I promise to take some pix in the next few weeks.)

If it was up to me, I'd preserve anything above eight stories that was built before 1950, and uncork all height limits on the remaining land. Build high. YIMBY.
    Now you're talking! 1950 and later is just crap, total crap; let the wrecking balls swing! Phillip Johnson and Van der Rohe can go to hell!

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

...and Gene Kohn over at KPF, too!

By the way, is it just a coincidence that guys named Gene are awful architects or is there something to that?

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    ...and Gene Kohn over at KPF, too!

By the way, is it just a coincidence that guys named Gene are awful architects or is there something to that?
    I don't think that's fair Gene Kohn is the head of KPF which has designed a number of great buildings spanning much futher back than the Chase Tower and I don't agree with jarod213 that everything built after the 1950's is crap, especially by Mies and Philip Johnson who were both modern masters and excellent architects.

I think A. People need to calm down
    -and-
    I think B. People need to pick up some architectural history books

You mean that all these guys suck

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stern View Post
    I don't think that's fair Gene Kohn is the head of KPF which has designed a number of great buildings spanning much futher back than the Chase Tower
    To me, that makes him even more of a putz because while I know KPF has done good work for other cities, it is uncomprehendible and unforgivable for him to now put this horrible Chase thingy here in his own backyard and the world stage that is the WTC.

http://ny.metro.us/metro/local/artic...ture/9205.html

Cost estimates for Moynihan project are ‘premature’

by amy zimmer
    JUN 29, 2007

MANHATTAN. Though the Pataki administration tried to fast-track a $900 million project to turn the James A. Farley Post Office into the new Moynihan Station transportation hub, Gov. Eliot Spitzer’s administration is making some changes before it goes through the approval process.

According to yesterday’s Daily News, the state’s economic development czar, Patrick Foye, said the project’s cost would be “significantly higher than $1 billion,” and the paper reported sources saying the plan to build the hub — which includes moving Madison Square Garden across Eighth Avenue to the Farley Post Office and building a new Penn Station where MSG now stands — could exceed $2 billion.

It reported the project’s total cost, which included two office and retail towers by private developers — Vornado Realty and the Related Co. — could exceed $14 billion.

Errol Cockfield, a spokesman for the Empire State Development Corporation, said his office never put out the $2 billion projection.

“We’re still in the schematic phase,” Cockfield said. “It would be premature to speculate before we’re done with that.”

The state agency plans to start the scoping process “within the next few weeks,” in which it will present “rudimentary elements” to the public. “But for more specific schematics,” Cockfield said, “we’re still a ways away from that. I know people are eager, but it’s a very complex project with multiple transportation agencies, the state and two major developers.”

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
    http://ny.metro.us/metro/local/artic...ture/9205.html

Cost estimates for Moynihan project are ‘premature’

The state agency plans to start the scoping process “within the next few weeks,” in which it will present “rudimentary elements” to the public. “But for more specific schematics,” Cockfield said, “we’re still a ways away from that. I know people are eager, but it’s a very complex project with multiple transportation agencies, the state and two major developers.”

LOL LOL LOL

2B$ x 5%inflation x 10yrs = 3.36 billion
    3.36B$ x %50 standard cost escalation = 4.88 billion
    Tax payers totally raped for subsidizing new MSG (Cablevision) and office towers (Vornado & Related) = priceless

Well, with a (s)pokesman like Errol Cockfield (God, I could not MAKE that up) what do you expect?
    Last edited by ZippyTheChimp; June 30th, 2007 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Removed unneccessary quote

Yeah no kidding, you cant make this stuff up.
    Last edited by ZippyTheChimp; June 30th, 2007 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Removed unneccessary quote

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenious View Post
    LOL LOL LOL

2B$ x 5%inflation x 10yrs = 3.36 billion
    3.36B$ x %50 standard cost escalation = 4.88 billion
    Tax payers totally raped for subsidizing new MSG (Cablevision) and office towers (Vornado & Related) = priceless

and downtown New Yorkers will happily re-elect Sheldon Silver, the man responsible for the raping.

What is it with that guy? Why is he always re-elected? Seems like a total putz.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by lbjefferies View Post
    and downtown New Yorkers will happily re-elect Sheldon Silver, the man responsible for the raping.
    I voted against him. But I am clearly in the minority with all the people who are anti-development, anti-tall-building, anti anything new.

Quote Originally Posted by Stern View Post
    I don't think that's fair Gene Kohn is the head of KPF which has designed a number of great buildings spanning much futher back than the Chase Tower and I don't agree with jarod213 that everything built after the 1950's is crap, especially by Mies and Philip Johnson who were both modern masters and excellent architects.

I think A. People need to calm down
    -and-
    I think B. People need to pick up some architectural history books
    Stern, I am an architectural historian: Mies and Johnson can stay (I was being outrageous), since they are part of history; that doesn't change my mind about their work. They strove to be true to their materials, and at the same time covered up their discrepancies. . . very very lame.

Silver is the biggest a$$hole to ever grace NYS government. When will he just die? I put a price on his head the moment he started ridiculing the West Side plan. . . and then he killed it. How can a single man have so much power? And now he's against congestion pricing! he's an idiot.