Page 34 of 176 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637384484134 ... LastLast

Thread: New Penn Station (Moynihan Station)

Forum Veteran

^ The chip is back!

^
    Are you sure?

I'm not reading it that way.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Business & Labor
    According to the development corporation the new design incorporates a rippled glass canopy that brings light all the way down to the tracks as per a preliminary 1999 redesign by David Childs of Skidmore Owings & Merrill.
    That's what caught my eye. But on further look, my enthusiasm might have been premature. I don't recall the "rippled glass canopy" in Childs' design other than the chip.

I think this is what is being referred to (not the "chip"):

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...&postcount=310

No chip guys, sorry to say.

Better than present Penn Station, but that ain't saying much.

Quote Originally Posted by elfgam
    No chip guys, sorry to say.
    Nope.

I like this very much. The rippled glass canopy is an improvement over the boring gable that the previous design featured, and is truer to the feel of the original Penn Station. The lighted access points with overhangs along 33rd street nicely animate what is now a long boring stretch along the north edifice. Very exciting.

While I originally preferred the David Childs "chip" design, I've really started to like the rippled glass one which -- as MidtownGuy points out -- seems to jive well with the design of the old Penn Station.

The sidewalk lightwells also seem like a fantastic touch and the station as a whole looks like it will be beautiful.

Man, did we get lucky that another McKim, Meade and White masterpiece was just across the street from Penn Station.

This is our second chance and I hope we take good advantage of it.

Good improvement

Great project. It's such a smart idea that one wonders why it has stalled for the past decade.

unfortunately, still nothing compared to the original...

That last shot is unbelievable. Such a majestic public space , without equal. How this could have been destroyed, I'll never understand. Were there no protesters? People chaining themselves to the place? It doesn't matter what the times were like, you'd think SOMEBODY with some power would have stood up to protect this kind of beauty like the world heritage that it was.
    For shame on that generation.
    Then again, not many people rise up even to protect the constitution as it is being destroyed, so what can you expect. I know, not related, but if this building was allowed to be razed, it's gotta make you wonder....
    Are Americans just passive, or complacent, slow, uninformed ?? self-absorbed? powerless? pussies? what?? I really don't get my own country anymore.

That little house somewhere on a Greek island is sounding better and better.

Default Politics and Penn

"Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves. Even when we had Penn Station, we couldn't afford to keep it clean. We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed." from the New York Times 1963

I think this is a wonderful project and we have Mura Moynihan to thank for it moving forward. L-w and PaTacky tried to pull funding for this a year ago and she brilliantly got them by the crotch in front of the press to keep it alive. I got invited to a planning meeting for "Friends of Moynihan Station", her group on the 22nd, info is on the website. The pictures of the original are just heartbreaking. We have all this amazing tech ability but we've lost craftsmanship. You couldn't rebuild it for any amount of money. Everything including buildings are disposible. I totally agree with the last post about shame on them but our generation is just as bad if not worse. We lost the Plaza Hotel this year and no one raised an eyebrow. The Lemmings are more upset about Nick and Jessica breaking up than the President lying and breaking the law for his own personal crusades.

Quote Originally Posted by HGLNYC
    The Lemmings are more upset about Nick and Jessica breaking up than the President lying and breaking the law for his own personal crusades.
    Don't be calling me a Lemming. Although I am REALLY upset about Nick + Jessica