Page 51 of 176 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101151 ... LastLast

Thread: New Penn Station (Moynihan Station)

Yeah, what's he doing reading posts by us armchair critics? Are we really becoming that (in)famous?

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman11686 View Post
    Is that^ supposed to be taken as a threat?
    No, just an interesting tidbit of info and why I keep my mouth shut about the important things, about that project in the middle of the city that includes a tower taller than the ESB, two transit hubs combining the scale of Grand Central and old Penn Station, a MSG-sized arena and the largest mall in the city.

I'm not saying where it's planned, but it shouldn't be hard to guess.

Awesome! Thanks for the fresh air!

Quote Originally Posted by LeCom View Post
    that project in the middle of the city that includes a tower taller than the ESB
    ...uh, come again?

...a tower taller than the ESB...
    Wait till the NIMBYs get hold of this one.

I dunno ablarc, there may be a lack of nimbys in that neighborhood. It's not Murray Hill, the Upper West Side, or the Village. Frankly I think everyone is eager to demolish MSG, which I think I'm correct in assuming.

All I have to say is wow, it's about time we broke 1,000 feet again (not including the wtc, where we're replacing what we lost).

Lecom, you've said enough to keep us salivating for a while. Thank you.

a tower taller than the ESB
    Hmmmmm, I don't know how I feel about that.

No, just an interesting tidbit of info and why I keep my mouth shut about the important things, about that project in the middle of the city that includes a tower taller than the ESB, two transit hubs combining the scale of Grand Central and old Penn Station, a MSG-sized arena and the largest mall in the city.

I'm not saying where it's planned, but it shouldn't be hard to guess.
    whoa, thanks, is there a date set yet when the designs will be released to the public?

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    whoa, thanks, is there a date set yet when the designs will be released to the public?
    It all depends on when they present the modified version to the city planning commission (the clients just came in and asked to beef up the plan some more), and that depends on when I finish my large scale model. And I'm chilling on WNY instead for now :P

I hope all of the players involved are wise enough not to underestimate the scale of the public backlash that's waiting for them if they commercialize the retail portion of the post office. These will not be localized "nimby" complaints. Beware the wrath of philatelists!

I think the public really won't give 2 flying figs about whether the windows sell stamps, train tickets Garden tickets or the worlds largest pumpkins. Get serious.

Quote Originally Posted by tmg View Post
    I hope all of the players involved are wise enough not to underestimate the scale of the public backlash that's waiting for them if they commercialize the retail portion of the post office. These will not be localized "nimby" complaints. Beware the wrath of philatelists!
    Put a Trader Joes in there, that will silence the critics. I love Trader Joes I go to the one in Westfield NJ all the time, can't get enough of that $2.99 wine.

I just wish they would bring back the gingeroos, those were the best cookies ever!..

Trader Joe's kicks ass.

We're more concerned that the nimbies will take a fit at the building's height; however, our recent policy has changed from "level off at 1000 or so" to "let's push this b**** as high as they let us".

That's a great philosophy. It's the only site in Manhattan with unlimited potential, it better be a mother of a building.

Push it high, I'm all for that.

LeCom, I know you're limited in what you can say, but I hope you can give us a flavor of the spirit of the design process. Who is seen as the client for this project? Strictly the developers? Or the public as well? Is the design objective strictly profit maximization, or is there a palpable sense of pride in creating a new public space?

This block is an extremely important one in the public life of our city. It is tremendously exciting to hear about plans for a new Penn on the site of the old one. But if somebody is going to make a fortune off the development of massive towers on the site, I hope the station will be a lovingly designed gift to the city, not a dashed-off afterthought. Because once the public gets over the thrill of seeing MSG gone, if the only change in Penn Station is the addition of a new skylight, it will be seen as yet another wasted opportunity.

And in the spirit of creating something the public can be proud of, please don't commercialize the retail post office. It holds tremendous sentimental value for generations of New Yorkers. There's no reason for getting rid of it, other than greed. Have our leaders and our builders no pride in our city? Have they no shame?