Page 79 of 176 FirstFirst ... 296975767778798081828389129 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,185 of 2636

Thread: New Penn Station (Moynihan Station)

Thumbs up Yes... true... combine the original style w/new

True... I agree... but you can incorporate as much of the old style and specific elements from the original i.e., the huge columns, the grand plaster hall, the ornamental iron archways, RETRIEVED PIECES FROM THE ORIGINAL into the new design... ALL built according to modern day LEED standards and using Vegas style construction techniques for ornamental neoclassical or baraque styles... VERY doable.

The point is: NOT to short-cut on remaking the new Penn Station AS STUNNING and MOMUMENTAL as the original or as well-done as its cross town cousin... the Grand Central terminal.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post
    My dream is to see Vornado recreate the colonnade of classical columns on 7th Avenue and to have its tower rising from a base above them. That would be awesome. (I should state that that's one of my dreams....)
    Dream is all it will be sadly. What a beatiful building we killed

Default perhaps

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    While this is a grand idea, I seriously doubt you could build an 8 acre granite building for a fraction of $3 billion.

Unless we are considering 8/5 and 11/5 as fractions.
    But until someone did a construction estimate to prove me wrong I'll stick to my guns. A lot of Penn Station was merely open space, open courts, high vaulted spaces. Yes it covered a lot of area, but was mostly open space. the main train shed is basically a large skylight over simple steel trusses. It's not going up 2000 feet.

The major costs would be if you added another tower on top of a new Penn Station, and building a new MSG on the farley site. Integrating all of the train lines, subway connector tunnels would not be cheap either, BUT it would be money well spent.

Default yup

Quote Originally Posted by MidtownGuy View Post
    Wow, I didn't know! Looks so solid.
    What an exciting idea this is!
    The ceiling vaults were repetitive cast plaster forms.

the interior colums were stone clad around steel columns
    http://images.google.com/images?svnu...lition&spell=1
    Last edited by finnman69; February 13th, 2007 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adyton View Post

I think a group of folks here on the forum should meet and devise a plan to present "Rebuild the old Penn Station" ...
    Welcome aboard, Adyton.

I say go for it.

Gather some people in the architecture / design / construction fields and get this moving.

You've obviously got the passion -- don't let the naysayers stop you on this. It's too important not to act on.

Quote Originally Posted by finnman69 View Post
    But until someone did a construction estimate to prove me wrong I'll stick to my guns. A lot of Penn Station was merely open space, open courts, high vaulted spaces. Yes it covered a lot of area, but was mostly open space.
    Whatever is now planned is estimated to cost $1 billion - also mostly open space, but a fraction of the total area.

It's a working RR station, busiest in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by finnman69 View Post
    A lot of Penn Station was merely open space, open courts, high vaulted spaces. Yes it covered a lot of area, but was mostly open space. the main train shed is basically a large skylight over simple steel trusses.
    I tried unsuccessfully today to find the NY Times article from the early sixties quoting a Penna RR red cap to the effect that the old station was mostly empty, wasted space. Most of what was demolished was the above-ground portion of the station. Big parts of the subterranean floors, stairs and, I'll bet, foundations are still there (awaiting creative reuse).

Thumbs up Start/join a group on www.idealist.org to "Rebuild a NEW version of Penn Station"

Thanks Lofter1...

Ironically, I used to work as a project engineer/EE for DMJM+Harris in Denver, the same engineering consulting firm currently working w/ARUP on the new Calatrava WTC path station.

IF... IF I were in NYC, I would be happy to take the lead in starting/gathering a group, contacting key people and starting the process. In Denver, we are also in the midst of starting the redevelopment and renovation of Union Station where the team of East-West Partners, Continuum & DMJM+Harris have won the competition.

But Penn Station is MUCH more interesting and exciting with GRANDER possibilities ... Oh, I'd love to sink my teeth into this project.

So, for all you New Yorkers who are interested/passionate about this project... go to the www.idealist.org and to the following link:

http://www.idealist.org/if/idealist/...Types=APPROVED

From the above 20 meeting ads in NYC, you can start your own "Rebuild a NEW version of Penn Station" forum where you all can meet and develop a plan of action. Keep me informed... who knows I may join the "CAUSE" !

We've got something going here. Important not to lose momentum. I'm going to compose emails to Chakrabarti and Foye.

That would be something if WNY helped make the difference.

Wink Contact Info. for Foye & Chakrabarti

Hi Ablarc:

Here's the contact link and information in contacting Patrick Foye at Empire State Development the "Build Now NY" program:

http://www.gorr.state.ny.us/BNNY-ContactESD.html

Patrick Foye, Chairman of ESD
    Switchboard: 518-292-5200 (Albany - general number)
    e: pfoye@empire.state.ny.us

Here's the contact information and links for Vishaan Chakrabarti & Stephen Ross at Vornado:

Vornado Realty Trust
    888 7th Ave
    New York, NY 10019
    (212) 894-7000
    www.vno.com
    e: vchakrabarti@vno.com (?, verify w/receptionist)

Good luck!

Thumbs up Contact Stringer too! Contact/get on a Community board!

Stringer Promises Progress On Moynihan Station Project

Manhattan Borough President Scott Stringer delivered his first State of the Borough address Monday, and like previous borough presidents, he made transportation a key element of the speech. Manhattan Reporter Rebecca Spitz filed the following story.

He hadn't said anything yet, but the Manhattan borough president got a standing ovation from a capacity crowd in City Hall Monday.

It was Scott Stringer's inaugural State of the Borough address and, as he did with his rookie term, he hit the ground running.

Project number one on Stringer's list of goals for 2007 is getting some movement going on the stalled Moynihan Station Project to expand Penn Station.

"A new Moynihan train station will diminish crowding, improve the look and feel of the area, and help lay the foundation for the comprehensive transportation planning our region desperately needs," said Stringer.

Stringer's agenda was wide-ranging, hitting on issues from transportation to affordable housing to the environment.

He wasn't shy about taking on contentious matters in the borough, like the proposal to give private schools exclusive access to ball fields on Randall’s Island in exchange the money to rehabilitate them.

"We haven't yet reached the right compromise over the ball fields,” said Stringer. “Because a raw deal is no deal at all and privatizing the use of public land is a raw deal."

Manhattan residents and politicians reacted positively to Stringer's speech, not only to its substance but to the way in which the borough president is soliciting and listening to community input.

"One of the aspects I really like is the community involvement, the community having a voice and a seat at the table with regard to all the decision making that's occurring,” said City Councilmember Melissa Mark-Viverito. “That it's not about us and it's not happening at us, it's happening with us."

And residents applauded Stringer's efforts to fill vacancies on Community Boards, making appointments he says are based on qualifications instead of political connections:

"It’s grassroots community activism at its purest form and through Borough President Stringer's revitalization of the community boards, it's made a tremendous difference to the borough,” said Community Board 1 Chair Julie Menin.

Moments after delivering his first State of the Borough address, Stringer said he was ready to get started again:

"We've got a lot of work to do in the second year of our administration," he said.

– Rebecca Spitz

http://www.ny1.com/ny1/content/index...id=8&aid=66762

Forum Veteran

Default Please

That guys has as much power to move this thing along as Pat Moynihan himself. Boro presidents have no sayin anything, all they do is hold news conferences, especially this clown

Count me in. I'd like to help, if I can.

Metro

Moynihan Station back on track?

by amy zimmer / metro new york
    FEB 16, 2007

The Spitzer administration is taking another look at turning the James A. Farley Post Office into the new Moynihan Station transit hub.

This time the state will also review Madison Square Garden’s possible relocation from Penn Station a block west to the post office’s annex, a move that would open up Penn Station for a renovation with new office towers.

The Empire State Development Corporation, the state agency overseeing the project, approved $500,000 yesterday to conduct a new environmental impact study, according to spokesman A.J Carter.

When the Moynihan project was initially approved by the ESDC last year, the state only examined the impact of the transportation segment rather than the larger project by the developers, Vornado Realty Trust and The Related Companies.

The larger development was one question among several financial ones asked by state Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver, when he stymied the project before it went to the Public Authorities Control Board in late 2006.

“The expanded look at the environmental impact of the larger project will give us some of those necessary facts,” Carter said.

A draft of a new general project plan is expected in the next four to six months, he said, after which the ESDC will hold public hearings on the plan.