View Poll Results: Should 2 Columbus Circle be preserved?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

10 58.82%
  • No.

7 41.18%
Page 31 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 Columbus Circle Redesign - Orginal: Edward Durell Stone - Redesign: Brad Cloepfil

Banned Member

It just seems so wrong for a museum that celebrates "design" to go and attack the building like this. They are trying to educate people and teach respect for design, while they show no respect OR UNDERSTANDING themselves. I think it will always be a blemish for this insitution going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider
    It just seems so wrong for a museum that celebrates "design" to go and attack the building like this. They are trying to educate people and teach respect for design, while they show no respect OR UNDERSTANDING themselves. I think it will always be a blemish for this insitution going forward.
    In a nutshell!

2CC has been quite a blemish on Columbus Circle itself for quite a while. I wish it had simply been replaced, not reskinned.

quote=BrooklynRider]It just seems so wrong for a museum that celebrates "design" to go and attack the building like this. They are trying to educate people and teach respect for design, while they show no respect OR UNDERSTANDING themselves. I think it will always be a blemish for this insitution going forward.[/quote]

It wasn't a blemish on Columbus Circle. Even empty and poorly maintained it managed to add vibrancy to the area. With a good tenant (and there were other possibilites), the building could have been such a success. Sadly it was underappreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider
    Yes. Amen to that. I'll never step a foot in that museum!

Quote Originally Posted by nycstef
    Yes. Amen to that. I'll never step a foot in that museum!
    You may not have much of a reason to step foot in it....According to my half-sister who is an art historian and seems to know her sh*t in the NY art world, that museum has a lame collection and basically sucks!

Banned Member

Wouldn't it be a real kick in the ass for the city if this museum failed in that location as the previous museum (the Huntington Collection?) did before it? Then we'd be left with an empty building that wouldn't even be worthy of consideration for landmarking.

Forum Veteran

And then, Donald Trump Jr., by that time in control of the family business, will fulfill his father's wish to have the building razed and replaced with a glitzy hotel. Full circle.

Empty and poorly maintained it added a strong smell of urine to the area, if you ever actually walked by. I seriously dislike windowless walls.

It's also a bizarre spot for a museum, in my opinion. It should be a commercial building (or maybe a hotel) with something retail on the ground floor.

Quote Originally Posted by greenie
    It wasn't a blemish on Columbus Circle. Even empty and poorly maintained it managed to add vibrancy to the area. With a good tenant (and there were other possibilites), the building could have been such a success. Sadly it was underappreciated.

I think Columbus Circle along the park is an odd spot for retail. I worry that the TWC is a novelty, and that as a functional piece of urbanism it won't really survive its location. Parkside in New York is the traditional preserve of musea, grand hotels, and apartment houses.

And if it were truly parkside, perhaps I'd agree. But it's not. It's separated from the park by Columbus Circle and one of the busiest sections of road in all Manhattan. This isn't Central Park West in the 80s or 5th Ave in the 80s. It caps the very busy commercial 8th Avenue and sits on top of the 59th st ABCD + 1 line station.

Quote Originally Posted by czsz
    I think Columbus Circle along the park is an odd spot for retail. I worry that the TWC is a novelty, and that as a functional piece of urbanism it won't really survive its location. Parkside in New York is the traditional preserve of musea, grand hotels, and apartment houses.

The venomous hate against this new building and the museum is interesting and a bit sophomoric. The building is gone, no need to be a sore looser.

I think Columbus Circle is one of the most dynamic intersections in the city. In-spite of its scale recent renovations are making Columbus Circle a comfortable place for human traffic. The sheer amount of people working and living in the area makes it viable for retail and a museum.

The only reason I can see either failing is because they did not offer what the market wants. Every time I go into the TWC mall area is very busy. One reason is because it offers pedestrian shelter from heat in the summer and cold in the winter.

I'm sure there will be some turn over with stores as they try to find the most successful mix, but the mall has foot traffic.

The museum has to put on shows that interest people. It can be successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Teno
    The venomous hate against this new building and the museum is interesting and a bit sophomoric. The building is gone, no need to be a sore looser.
    I have no opinion on the museum itself. And putting aside any bad feelings over the landmark issues, I still think the new design for the building is pretty bad. I don't think it's sophmoric (strangely a popular word on here lately) to point that out. There was/is also a lot of haters of the building in its original state. Anyway you look at it, the building has got people thinking.

I don't see how the museum could fail in that location. With all the development that's happened over that last decade in that area and is still happening, the museum would really have to be bad to fail.

Kind of my point -- it's such a busy location its best use is probably something that depends on having good transportation links. A good museum is a destination in itself and need not be in such a central location.

Quote Originally Posted by greenie
    I don't see how the museum could fail in that location. With all the development that's happened over that last decade in that area and is still happening, the museum would really have to be bad to fail.