View Poll Results: Should 2 Columbus Circle be preserved?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

10 58.82%
  • No.

7 41.18%
Page 5 of 57 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 Columbus Circle Redesign - Orginal: Edward Durell Stone - Redesign: Brad Cloepfil

sometimes a blank wall isn't such a bad idea. Anyway shouldn't you be enforcing conformity over at SSP?

Shouldn't you be finding someone else to obsesse about?

that's obsess and don't flatter yourself. And last time I checked this thread was about 2 Columbus.

Love the idea, dbhstockton, extending it further - my proposal to sex up the building, kind of Times Square comes to Columbus Circle.

Forum Veteran

Unsafe. Too great a risk of traffic accidents.

that's a pretty good projection.

Forum Veteran

The City Review (see "The Rape of Huntington Hartford's 2 Columbus Circle):

On January 7, 2004, Ada Louise Huxtable (see The City Review article on one of her books) wrote a column in The Wall Street Journal that included a color rendering of a revised fašade design for the building. Her column attacked efforts to preserve Stone's design, which she said has a "certain toy-like charm," and supported the new design:

"I have been watching, with wonder and disbelief, the beatification of 2 Columbus Circle, nÚ the Huntington Hartford Museum, a. k. a. the lollipop building (so-named, for better or worse, by me). This small oddity of dubious architectural distinction, designed by Edward Durell Stone, has been elevated to masterpiece status and cosmic significance by a campaign to save its marginally important, mildly eccentric, and badly deteriorated fašade - a campaign that has escalated into a win-at-any-cost-and-by-any-means vendetta in thename of 'preservation.' Never has that term been so taken in vain....Inspection has found the fašade so badly deteriorated that it can't be saved; it would have to be rebuilt - a copy or reproduction would have to replace it."

One might counter, however, that the building's fašade problems result most likely from the city's mismanagement of the property and that such a blatant disregard for preservation should not be casually rewarded.

the problem with the scrim, apart from the fact that it looks like a cheesy negligee, is that it eliminates the loggia and the proportions of the building, which are its two most appealing features, possibly the only two.

it must have a hell of a light restriction.

Tell me about it! What kind of a building has no windows?!?

Forum Veteran

One that doesn't need any... special lighting conditions may be required for certain exhibits/works, and there's nobody really doing any office work there.

I know that but at least put some decorative ones on if you were going to build something that bland.

Yeah, its good that they're re-doing it then isnt it?

I wouldn't call the building bland. Why is everyone so insistent on forcing upon it windows it has no use for? It's a gallery -- windows interfere with that function. The ample two-story "loggia" or whatever on the top floors is for taking in the views. Why is this so hard to accept? It happens to be a beautiful marble wall, executed at a level of quality and workmanship we probably won't see again.

That said, I guess I'm ready to say good-bye to this tragic building. Alas, it was simply too quirky for this pragmatic metropolis. Another footnote in New York's architectural history.

Page 5 of 57 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast