View Poll Results: Should 2 Columbus Circle be preserved?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

10 58.82%
  • No.

7 41.18%
Page 56 of 57 FirstFirst ... 646525354555657 LastLast

Thread: 2 Columbus Circle Redesign - Orginal: Edward Durell Stone - Redesign: Brad Cloepfil

For someplace that calls itself a design museum these folks sure don't mind messing up the front
    with arbitrary signage (and by doing so they end up hiding the "ghosts" of the lollipop columns) ...

2 CC

darwinism

darwinism

I hate this building. It looks like a well designed ventilation building for the MTA.
    Anyway, quite a variety in the shot. Of course the original building would have made the shot even more interesting.
    Last edited by Derek2k3; January 14th, 2010 at 05:24 PM.

I agree with you, Derek. The eclecticism of the backdrop looking south from Columbus Circle is what makes it one of the greatest spots in New York. A great shame therefore that Moinian is permanently damaging that eclecticism with another faceless glass box (whoever coined the term "brick in the wall" lived too early to know the anonymity of "glass panels in the curtain wall").

Default A shot in the dark

I'm curious: Does anybody have architectural drawings or floor plans of this building, preferably Durell Stone's original? I'd like to use it as a provocative "precedent" in my schoolwork.

I thought that facade was ceramic tile: but, just found out it is actually Terra Cotta - according to this Hunter Douglas websit. See photo. http://www.hunterdouglascontract.com...Trifold_v2.pdf

made frome terra cotta does not mean it's not ceramic tile.
    tile can be made with different types of clay...
    made from terra cotta (just means red clay)
    stone wear (just means white clay -earthenware)
    or Porcelain (self explanatory)

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Default ^ Psst...

Stone ware ​-

my bad (dyslexia is a bitch)...LMFAO

Looking at that "H" formation with the large picture window: the photo on the website is very sharp, and gives a vivid indication that the large 'picture window' was not part of the architects 'design intent'. Photo here - http://www.hunterdouglascontract.com...Trifold_v2.pdf

The visual/formal composition of the facade - without that large window - would have been much more 'artistic'.

I think I read somewhere that this large 'horizontal window placement' forming the 'H' was added late in the design/construction phase because the museum director demanded that their be large 'picture window' with broad sweeping views of central park. It would be great if someone at the architects office could chime-in to substantiate or refute that story: but, I will be surprised if that happens.

All-in-all, this is a 'nice looking' building: and those Terra Cotta/Stone Ware/Ceramic or whatever tiles glimmer with a 'mother of pearl' gleam when the lighting is just right - which makes it easy (for me anyway) to over look that awkward window placement..
    Last edited by infoshare; March 18th, 2012 at 09:39 AM.

That "'mother of pearl' gleam" comes not from the tile body itself(type of clay/ceramic) used, but the glaze applied to the top of it.
    I'm sure they used Terra cotta because it happens to be the cheapest clay body available, the glaze on the other hand...

The horizontal window up top was added by demand of the client for a window in the restaurant on that floor.

From Curbed:

Rendering/Reality: Museum of Arts & Design

Friday, April 4, 2008

And the original design seen on earlier pages in this thread (sad to see how many early WNY images have been lost over time) ...

Quote Originally Posted by czsz View Post

October 20, 2005:

So the vista on Broadway is now to terminate at this...abstract gun turret?

What we were told it would look like (before the netting came down and the actual facade was revealed) ...

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post

June 7, 2007:

The Allied Works Architecture website has a lot of images showing the facade;
    the horizontals on the renderings match up with the newly-installed tiles ...

The only thing missing from this flattened, uninspired slab is the AT&T logo and a microwave relay tower.

Can't wait for the next remodel in 30 years.

Anybody know what kind of visitor-ship this museum / gift shop gets?

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

I don't know but I've heard this place is worth visiting.