Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Libeskind Presentation - Community Board 1 meeting

Default Libeskind Presentation - Community Board 1 meeting

I'll quote from a CB1 newsletter I receive:

"Daniel Libeskind will be presenting his plan for the World Trade Center to Community Board 1 on Monday, April 14. The meeting will take place at 6PM at 250 Broadway, 19th floor, Assembly Hearing Room. Members of the public (with photo identification) are welcome to attend."

Default Libeskind Presentation

19th floor....for the view alone. 250 Broadway is north of Woolworth if Im not mistaken.

One block north - but no windows in Hearing Room. State offices, so wandering around is not encouraged.

Somebody please attend so we can hear what Libeskind has planned for us...Modifications, perhaps?

The modifications probably won't concern the office towers.

Anyone going? I'd like to, but it may be hard.....we'll see.

I hope to go. If I do, it means my tax return is done.

LoL, Zippy, April 15th just always creeps up on us each year, dosn't it?

Turbo Tax comes through again.

I've attended several CB1 meetings, and they are usually sparsely attended. Last night the room was packed.

Not much information came out that is not already known. The CB1 members get to ask questions first, and no one questioned the buildings heights. There were some questions of massing along Church St, but most concerned street level details, access around the site and through the memorial, and retail. Particular emphasis was given to the SW corner of the site.

There was a question about the size of the public spaces. Libeskind's wife (I was impressed with her ability to answer questions with direct technical information) said that it may be hard to visualize from the site plan, but the wedge of light is about 2 acres.

There was a short slide presentation in which several new street perspectives were shown. I couln't find them online, but I'm sure they'll be available.

One thing i remember that may be telling of Libeskind's political savvy. The slide presentation was projected on a side wall, among the audience. When questions were being asked, Wils asked Libeskind if he would like to come up to the dais, and he said something like, "No, I'm quite comfortable right here."

Did the new renderings look any better?

I don't think better is the right word. It's just more imformation.

They were all street-level views. One south on Church, north on Greenwich, east and west on Fulton, looking out from the
    museum entrance. In the Fulton view, the scale of the transportation center is clearly shown.

Of course, he's focusing on the street level.
    He was probably selected mainly for that part of his work.

That's probably true, but at any rate, it was the CB that drove the discussion, and except for one person in the audience connected with the CB (a pain in the ass), no questions about height were asked. This guy asked about a lower symbolic date than 1776, and suggested 1492.

Libeskind did mention the importance of keeping the spiral effect of the building heights.

One interesting development I forgot: He said he was moving his family to lower Manhattan.

An article from Downtown Express....

At a Community Board 1 meeting April 14, Libeskind said designers of the memorial for the victims of the Sept. 11 attack would be free to build pedestrian bridges over the 4.7-acre sunken memorial area he proposes in the design.

"One competitor might envision 1,000 bridges," the architect said at the forum.

Some residents and others have said it would be difficult to walk through the site particularly from the southwest corner at West and Liberty Sts. A few weeks ago, Libeskind said a pedestrian would save only two minutes if there was a diagonal walkway from the southwest corner to the transit center at the northeast end of the site and the two minutes did not seem worth losing the views of the memorial and the bathtub slurry wall.

Madelyn Wils, C.B. 1 chairperson and a member of the board of directors of the Lower Manhattan Development Corp., said she was happy to hear Libeskind's remarks. "I'm satisfied he heard the community concerns," Wils said after the meeting.

The meeting comes a few days after the L.M.D.C. announced the 13-member jury to select the memorial and that the design guidelines will be released April 28. The jury includes Maya Lin, best-known for her design of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington D.C. as a 21-year-old architecture student.

Lin would have barely met one of the only requirements in the W.T.C. memorial - that the applicants be at least 18. It will cost $25 to enter and details will be at wtcsitememorial.org starting April 28.

Applicants will have until May 29 to register. Between June 9 and June 30, the L.M.D.C. will accept boards of 30 x 40 inches depicting each proposal. Sometime in late August or early September the jury will narrow the choices down to between three and five finalists, who will be given a stipend and asked to make revisions. A series of public forums will be held to take comments on the proposals. By late October or early November a final design will be selected. The jury members are:

Paula Grant Berry, whose husband David Berry was killed in the South Tower. She has served on the L.M.D.C. Families Advisory Council and has worked as an executive in publishing and marketing at Doubleday, the Economist and Newsweek.

Susan Freedman, who is president of the Public Art Fund. She serves on the board of several cultural institutions including the Museum of Modern Art.

Vartan Gregorian, president of the Carnegie Corporation and the former president of Brown University. He was also president of the New York Public Library from 1981 -1989 and is the author of "Emergence of Modern Afghanistan, 1880-1946."

Patricia Harris, deputy mayor for administration in New York City. She managed Bloomberg LP's corporate communications department, before Mayor Mike Bloomberg took her with him when he became mayor.

Maya Lin, who in addition to the veterans' memorial has also designed the Civil Rights memorial in Montgomery, Al. She is currently working on a chapel for the Children's Defense Fund, a 20,000-square-foot bakery for the Greystone Foundation in Yonkers and several art installations around the country.

Michael McKeon, managing director of Mercury Public Affairs. He was Gov. George Pataki's chief spokesperson before, during and after the Sept. 11 attacks and helped plan the Sept. 11 anniversary ceremonies last year. He was also a reporter at several papers in New York.

Julie Menin, the founder and president of Wall Street Rising, a Downtown business group founded after 9/11. The group has organized several projects including Art Downtown, an exhibit which included many of the world's most famous contemporary artists. Menin owns Vine Restaurant on Broad St. and lives in Lower Manhattan. She said "it was so important to have someone who lives or works Downtown on the jury." She said she has begun setting up meetings with Downtown groups to hear their views on the memorial.

Enrique Norten founded Taller Enrique Norten Arquictectos, S.C. He has won many architecture awards and currently teaches architecture at the University of Penn. The Brooklyn Public Library selected him to design its Visual and Performing Arts Library. He has served on may design juries.

Martin Puryear, an artist who won the MacArthur Foundation Grant. He recently completed a large, stainless steel sculpture for the J. Paul Getty Museum in Los Angeles.

Nancy Rosen, who has chaired the Art in Public Places grants panel for the National Endowment for the Arts. She founded Nancy Rosen Incorporated, which worked on the first phase of the public art program in Battery Park City.

Lowery Stokes Sims, executive director of the Studio Museum in Harlem. Prior to joining the museum in 2000, she was curator of modern art at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

Michael Van Valkenburgh, who founded his own landscape architecture award and lives in the Village. He has won several architecture awards and his projects include Allegheny Riverfront Park.

James Young, professor and chairperson of the dept. of Judaic & Near Eastern Studies at the University of Mass. He is the author of "At Memory's Edge: After-images of the Holocaust in Contemporary Art and Architecture."

In addition, David Rockefeller, the former head of Chase Manhattan Bank, will serve as an honorary member of the jury. Rockefeller was one of the most important advocates for the construction of the World Trade Center and also built Chase Plaza in Lower Manhattan during the fiscal crisis in the 1970s.

Monica Iken, whose husband was killed in the attacks, said she would have liked to see more people from other countries on the jury. "We can't just have people from New York," she said "There's 91 other countries" that lost people in the attack.

Iken said the L.M.D.C. made the right decision by not honoring the people killed rescuing others differently. "We're all equal," she said. "My husband I know was saving someone else and he wasn't a fireman. It should be one memorial."

Retired firefighter John Finucane, who came to last week's L.M.D.C. meeting with several firefighters in uniform said the firefighters and other rescue workers who died should be recognized at the memorial. He said as the years go on, "people will have no idea who those brave New Yorkers were."

Tom Johnson, the only L.M.D.C. board member who lost a relative in the attack, said the museum will be the place to tell the heroic stories and put it all in context, not the memorial. "There needs to be one memorial and no hierarchies of victims," he said.

There's something else about the CB1 meeting I want to bring to people's attention. During the hearing, some Twin Towers fanatic named Tal B tried to speak out to Libeskind without raising his hand during the meeting. Everyone (including pro-Twin Tower activists) told him to sit down. He had developed a reputation for launching endless tirades about all kinds of annoying stuff about Israel, rebuilding, his hatred of everything, and so on, both in meetings, rallies, and message boards.

This explains why he was kicked out of Wired New York a week after he entered, launching into his usual tirades and starting heated squabbles. He had also been banned from the pro-Twin Towers NYC Skyline message board two days before because of his confrontational atitude, inconsiderate disregard for other people in that board, and endless tirades about Israel and stuff like that.

At the end of the meeting, a Team Twin Towers activist took Tal to one side and told him bluntly that he had been kicked out of the Twin Towers rebuilding movement. Tal left the building mumbling to himself. So now at least one group in the rebuilding process for the WTC has shed its bad apples. What about the NIMBY side?

(Edited by Agglomeration at 10:21 pm on April 15, 2003)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast