Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: The eight worst buildings to have blighted our skyline

Random Personality

All I can say is plastic Palm Trees?!?!?!?!

It's weird, but I like it because it's a corporate space that makes no attempt to take itself seriously. I look at the design theme as that of a garden trellis on steroids (or is that coke?) that had just read a book on ancient Egyptian culture. Zany and totally '80s.

At the very least it's not some dark, moody space that makes you feel uncomfortable lounging there if you don't work in the building, regardless of what security oversight there is. (I was there on a Saturday and security was lax at best, so I felt quite comfortable taking the above pictures).

"....it's a corporate space that makes no attempt to take itself seriously."

That's always a bad excuse.

Actually, the trellised space is not 60 Wall's lobby. It is public space. There's direct access to the subway, public restrooms, retail and free wifi even. Think of it as a covered public park. Oh, and the plants are real at least, even if the do have to live in a mirrored nightmare.

60 Wall's lobby is completely seperate and much more staid.

The "public space" was "extracted" from JP Morgan as part of the approval process for the building.

So nice of them to make the "public space" so unattractive to the public that none of the public uses it

Banned Member

Very "Orlando Days Inn"

60 Wall needs to be torn down, lol. Its terrible, followed by the 'Lipstick' Building and Viacom's headquarters. Oh and that AT&T thing, horrid! The rest I think I can live with.

What is so terrible about the Lipstick Building? Just take a look at the buildings on either side of it. The Lipstick does no harm.

The pink granite is ultra 1980's but it's well made. I see a glitzy but attractive facade. It works.

---

Ugly is the Marriot Marquis. The building of it caused so much damage to a unique assemblage of theatres. It is anti-pedestrian. Cheap looking. The first 10 floorsare basically blank walls of horrid concrete panels. The street level on the side streets is a disaster. A suburban highway hotel plopped down on the theatre district.

THIS is ugly:

http://www.portmanusa.com/hotel/imgs..._marquis01.jpg
    http://excitingny.com/nyphotos/marriottmarquisview.jpg

---
    http://content.answers.com/main/cont...ckBuilding.JPG

OK OK, I'll take the Lipstick over the Marriot Marquis any day. The Lipstick building does look better in that side view, good point.

Since this survey is interested in the WORST buildings that have caused
    a BLIGHT upon our skyline then -- IMHO -- there is but one winner, hands down ...

This newly-constructed piece of stuff at 10 Barclay Street has, from many viewpoints,
    successfully wiped from our skyline one of the most majestic buildings that this or
    any other city has had the pleasure to behold: the glorious Woolworth Building.

From those vistas where the sight of the Woolworth has not been totally erased
    this 3rd-rate pile of banality stands butting it's way into the picture, like a boorish
    and unwanted party guest.

Other buildings might be uglier or fatter or plainer than 10 Barclay, but few if any have
    so altered what comes to mind when one thinks of the great skyline of New York.

Some buildings were meant to have air around them. The Woolworth was entitled to that space.

Edward got a terrific shot of her just a few years back ...

Don't beat up 10 Barclay I think its very nice.

Banned Member

The Barclay building has had traumatic repercussions for Lofter.

In my book, the Marriot is the number one worst...

but 10 Barclay is, without a doubt, a big "number 2".

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    http://www.nymetro.com/nymetro/news/...y/35th/n_8569/
    New York Magazine's 35th Anniversary
    Space Invaders
    The eight worst buildings to have blighted our skyline.

By Joseph Giovannini

1. PENN STATION COMPLEX, Midtown, including Madison Square Garden and 2 Penn Plaza, by Charles Luckman Associates (1968): We tore down McKim, Mead and White’s Pennsylvania Station for this?

2. PARAMOUNT PLAZA, at 1633 Broadway, by Emery Roth & Sons (1968): A cheap black box with glitzy stainless-steel suspenders set behind a windswept plaza with two inexplicable holes in the ground.

3. ONE ASTOR PLAZA, at 1515 Broadway, by Kahn & Jacobs, with chief designer Der Scutt (1969): Infamous for its crown of rabbit ears, and just as clumsy on the ground, where the hulk dominates Broadway.

4. 1185 SIXTH AVENUE, by Emery Roth & Sons (1971): The most offensive of the long line of offenders along Sixth Avenue north of 42nd Street. Mean, ugly, and big.

5. NEW YORK TELEPHONE COMPANY BUILDING, 1095 Sixth Avenue, opposite Bryant Park, by Kahn & Jacobs (1974): This bland tower makes an unsuccessful try at collaging three architectural scales together—medium, tall, and Goliathan—to warm up the company’s image. Cold to the touch; needs a face-lift.

6. THE EX-AT&T BUILDING (1984), 33 MAIDEN LANE (1986), and 885 Third Avenue, a.k.a. the LIPSTICK BUILDING (1986): The worst of many by architecture’s Public Enemy No. 1, Philip Johnson, the cynic who believes in no style but practices them all.

7. 60 WALL STREET, by Kevin Roche (1989): A gargantua set within downtown’s fragile street network, its façade detailed whimsically to look like a column. Ha ha.

8. ONE WORLDWIDE PLAZA, at 935 Eighth Avenue, by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill (1989): Guilty of postmodernist me-tooism—a middlebrow attempt at ye olde Ralph Lauren. Complete with a failed English-style shopping gallery at its base. Wrong city, wrong century.
    I don't agree with any of these. This thread is just another futile attempt to hurt the feelings of these skyscrapers.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by TonyO View Post
    WNYC and Christopher Gray of the New York Times are doing a photo project with listeners to see which are the "Worst Buildings of NYC". I know noone here will have any opinions, but, here's the information just in case.

Story:

http://www.wnyc.org/photos/lopate/worst_buildings.html

Flickr photo pool:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/worstbuildings/
    The results are on the WNYC Leonard Lopate show right now.

http://www.wnyc.org/slideshows/worstbuildings
    Last edited by TonyO; September 25th, 2007 at 01:09 PM.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast