Page 44 of 96 FirstFirst ... 344041424344454647485494 ... LastLast

Thread: Fulton Center

"Staten Island residents" are also residents of NYC.

Who do you think will use the Fulton Street Hub? Consider all those folks coming in on the PATH trains.

Quote Originally Posted by treebeard View Post
    IMNHO, the primary reason we don't have the money for the original plan is because the MTA used our downtown improvement money for rebuilding the Staten Island station.

I do think rebuilding the SI station was needed and a good idea, but they used money meant for downton for a station which is primarily for Staten Island residents.

pardon my rant ( which I did try to abbreviate )
    South Ferry Station is not a "SI station." It is a downtown station that services battery park residents, tourists, AND SI residents. Plus, if any station in the system deserved a complete re-build it was that one. It had gap-fillers, could only hold 5 of the 10 cars, had only one point of egress, and was dangerously crowded. Plus, the project was actually completed in a semi-timely manner. It's the one project in this entire "rebuilding of Downtown" mess that was a success.

South Ferry was one of the worst stations in the entire system. If it didn't need renovation now, when would it ever need it - 50 years from now?

Passenger handling will be faster, which effects the efficiency of the entire line, not just people going to the last stop.

Free transfer from the R W offers alternatives from Brooklyn to Manhattan west side.

It was generally completed on time and within budget because it was fully funded at the beginning, and there were no design changes or other meddling by the MTA once construction began.

One of the few bright spots for the dismal MTA.

Default myopia

Quote Originally Posted by spatulashack View Post
    South Ferry Station is not a "SI station." It is a downtown station that services battery park residents, tourists, AND SI residents. Plus, if any station in the system deserved a complete re-build it was that one. It had gap-fillers, could only hold 5 of the 10 cars, had only one point of egress, and was dangerously crowded. Plus, the project was actually completed in a semi-timely manner. It's the one project in this entire "rebuilding of Downtown" mess that was a success.
    my view is the VERY myopic view of someone who has lived two blocks from the "fulton hub" for 27 years now. As I said, the staten island station - most battery park residents use stations farther up the line: rector and chambers. practically none use the battery park station. my point about it was they used the money intended to recover downtown after 9/11.

we're still missing our downtown hub - the trade center. probably most folks don't realize how much downtown residents used the trade center, especially in the "off hours", for shopping and the like. I'm still wearing clothes I bought in shops there. it was a good place to get a kid out of the house on a bitter cold day.

many local businesses disappeared. wander the neighborhood and note all the empty storefronts. of course, the street work around the water main upgrade is responcible for a lot of the delay in recovering. the water main project started before 9/11 and is a very necessary evil.

A timely revamp of the fulton hub with a few shops would have been great. I loved the original design.

Default Residents have 4 1/2 or more years of inconvenience

I don't like the math!! 4 years starting in 7/09 JUST to get the A/C Mezz finished.. that's late 2013!

Still no indication WHEN the buildings will even be started.

LMDC Website:

Dey Street headhouse, at the southwest corner of Broadway and Dey, is currently on hold until the finishing contract is awarded in late 2009.

Main Building Site (Broadway at Fulton).

Secant-wall installation and other foundation preparations inside the work site on Fulton near Broadway continue through winter 2009.

The 20-month contract for foundation work and underpinning of the Corbin Building was awarded in December, with work mobilizing in January 2009
    The four-year A/C mezzanine contract is to be awarded in early 2009, with work likely to start in July.
    Last edited by Sherpa; December 25th, 2008 at 11:21 AM.

Kings County Loyal BrooklynLove's Avatar

So they're basically pushing all but sub work off for the time being ...

^ Yes. looks to be so. This is an Outrage!

Thumbs down

And as for that announcement of the new Transit Center design.. the MTA only has two days left to make it before 2008 is OVER...

Happy New Year MTA Middle and Upper Management parasites!

Quote Originally Posted by Sherpa View Post
    Happy New Year MTA Middle and Upper Management parasites!
    I think that you intended to say MisManagement ...

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynLove View Post
    I think that you intended to say MisManagement ...
    Yes I did.

Obama will come and save the day with his stimulus package for transportation projects.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

I thought he was just talking about freeways -

CHICAGO -- Fresh off his Hawaiian vacation, President-elect Barack Obama is pressing his case for a massive economic stimulus plan, saying Saturday morning that a recovery program to create three million new jobs would "serve as a down payment on our long-term economic future."

In his weekly radio and YouTube address, Obama offered few details of his plan, but said it would double U.S. renewable energy production, rebuild crumbling infrastructure, update and computerize the health care system and modernize classrooms, science laboratories and libraries.

Expectation I'm hearing is 4 billion greenbacks to NY MTA based on historical distributions of similar fed aid.

There ya go!

So long as it goes into the actual construction!