Page 90 of 96 FirstFirst ... 4080868788899091929394 ... LastLast
Results 1,336 to 1,350 of 1434

Thread: Fulton Center

This project was a crap design since its first render.... and a complete redundacy since it was even proposed to do an above ground structure.

Quote Originally Posted by stache View Post
    As long as the middle name is not 'Dentata'!
    Note to self: do NOT post under stache

And to think those clowns at the MTA originally wanted to bulldoze the stately historic Corbin Building for this pile of crap.

I have a major issue with whoever is designing MTA's signage at this station. Every day there are so many people lost in these corridors because the MTA refuses to add some simple labeling like "For Uptown J train use last staircase" and instead plays this game of follow the arrows until they run out. I know this complaint sounds silly at first especially given that visuals ARE better in a cosmopolitan city like our own but you simply cannot connect this many uptown and downtown tracks, build countless stairs everywhere, and then leave signage suitable for a three line stop to guide people on an MC Escher type excursion.

It seems to me that a basic platform floor plan in a few places would do a lot to give people the grasp of where they need to go but then again we are talking about an institution that struggles with getting the YOU ARE HERE sticker to all the maps in the system because obviously getting lost in the subway is a big part of the tourist experience. Rant over

Has the MTA realized that passengers care more about the destination than the origin of the train? On the electronic signs on the R train, for example, it is of paramount importance to inform passengers that the train serves both Whitehall Street and 71st Avenue, but leave it to the passengers to figure out which one is the origin and which one is the destination.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Completely beside the point but I was on a 7 train earlier this week that was brand new. Oddly it had the 'new car' smell. I bet it was the first day of service for this car. EMilli, I think MTA wants us to rely on the signs over the platforms to tell us what direction the next train will take us.

Quote Originally Posted by EastMillinocket View Post
    Has the MTA realized that passengers care more about the destination than the origin of the train? On the electronic signs on the R train, for example, it is of paramount importance to inform passengers that the train serves both Whitehall Street and 71st Avenue, but leave it to the passengers to figure out which one is the origin and which one is the destination.
    You make a great point. For example, I'm @34th ST station waiting on the Q train during the morning rush hour, and I need to take the one that goes to 59th&Lex. The Q rolls on in, but the sign cycles between [Coney Island] - [Broadway Express] - and then EITHER [Astoria-Ditmars Blvd] OR [57th ST - 7th Ave]. Only one of these matters to me. And yes I am on the uptown platform. These signs are dumb. But yes, to get back on topic, I hope they do improve the signage on the Fulton Center compared to the rest of the system.
    Last edited by section08; April 14th, 2014 at 07:46 PM.

The signs on the sides of the trains may also tell you something even more useful than the destination - Culver Local, Sea Beach Line, etc. What does it all mean? Who cares?

That crappy building needs a reclad. I think that L&L owns it.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

In the past I would have agreed with you but now I realize that the building and its cladding represents the era it was built and thus should be left as is.

Throwing on a new coat of shiny glass won't make it any more interesting.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Bigger windows would make it better looking.

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    In the past I would have agreed with you but now I realize that the building and its cladding represents the era it was built and thus should be left as is.

Throwing on a new coat of shiny glass won't make it any more interesting.
    I'd agree in some circumstances. The JPM HQ on Park looks great as it is, but this facade is horrible and is not a good representative of its era.

Huh...they shortened it from Fulton Street Transit Center...I hadn't noticed that.Seriously, are security bollards needed around EVERY building, nowadays? One would think that the the heavy stone masonry thwarts any collision.

I think that in a place like that, bollards are a good idea in general, not just as some specific anti-terrorist measure. It will be a crowded and highly traversed pedestrian space located closer to an active roadway, so it's good to protect the crowds from vehicles.