Page 91 of 96 FirstFirst ... 4181878889909192939495 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,365 of 1434

Thread: Fulton Center

Quote Originally Posted by BStyles View Post
    Huh...they shortened it from Fulton Street Transit Center...I hadn't noticed that.Seriously, are security bollards needed around EVERY building, nowadays? One would think that the the heavy stone masonry thwarts any collision.
    With the amount of taxi cabs jumping curbs nowadays: bollards, bollards everywhere.

Forum Veteran

car bomb paranoia

I never understood how 1WTC and Fulton Center were designed around the same time and yet stand at such extreme odds of security concern.

We have this extreme-engineering base protecting employees at 1WTC which is already set back from the street while Fulton Center - one of the busiest points of concentration in this whole city - is a glass box next to an open street. Does anyone have an explanation?
    Last edited by Jake; April 23rd, 2014 at 09:55 PM.

The NYPD rationale is that 1WTC is a particular target. That's why buildings 2, 3, and 4 are less protected.

The flaw in that argument is obvious.

The base is glass, but it is special glass. I had a conversation with some of the construction guys a couple years back and they told me it was very expensive "special" glass which would resist or behave differently in an explosion. though, clearly, there is no comparison with 1 wtc. 1 wtc is ridiculously overdone.

I walked by the Fulton Center yesterday morning and asked one of the workers when the sidewalks would open; "probably in the next couple days or so," he responded. I then asked another worker a few blocks over at the WTC when the plaza fences would come down; "I'm really not sure," he replied. Later that evening, I returned downtown and saw that not only had the plaza fences come down, but the sidewalk around the Fulton Center had opened as well. It was a really awesome feeling to have both spaces open up more or less simultaneously, and earlier than I had expected!

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatism415 View Post
    Later that evening, I returned downtown and saw that not only had the plaza fences come down, but the sidewalk around the Fulton Center had opened as well.
    That was really quick, they somehow managed to get it done within 231 years. Good job MTA

They open an additional entrance yesterday: there is now a pair of not yet running escalators flanked by stairs open on broadway at the corner of fulton.

I was by at night and they had a couple sets of escalators running for testing I assume. They are also putting up the signs for the various lines - including the R train - so I guess they'll have the tunnel open.

Opening of this thing has now been delayed to September at the earliest.

Just a few weeks ago, I got off the A train and was walking on the mezzanine level past the line of doors leading to the oculus. A couple of them were open, and no one was around, so I went in a few steps. Maybe five seconds.

No way I could know how close to completion they were, but the sense I got from what I saw was that it was more than a few weeks.

According to the NY Times:
    But that has been pushed back 60 to 90 days because of testing delays and unfinished elevators, transit officials said on Monday during an authority board meeting.

The push to speed progress on the No. 7 train extension produced one of the meeting’s more tense exchanges, offering a hint of the pressure transit officials are under as they try to avoid additional delays.

Michael Horodniceanu, president of the authority’s capital construction company, bristled when a board member pressed him over how contractors could hasten their work.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/24/ny...lays.html?_r=0

Maybe it's more than "testing and elevators."

must be more. They could open without the elevators.

Forum Veteran

last night

I caught a peek on Friday. It looks cool.