Page 95 of 96 FirstFirst ... 4585919293949596 LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,425 of 1434

Thread: Fulton Center

The best part about it is the adjacent Corbin Building that those MTA idiots wanted to tear down.

Quote Originally Posted by Stroika View Post
    So, erm, what exactly is "British" about it? Is Arup from the UK? Poorly written / confusing article: Its headline and lede sentence explicitly refer to the "Britishness" of the structure, but absolutely no explanation of this follows. Aaahhh, journalism...
    My first thought: Foster's Great Court at the British Museum.

(Eric Pouhier)

Quote Originally Posted by Merry View Post
    [SIZE=5][B]In Detail> Fulton Center

David Sundberg / Esto
    What a ravaged cityscape. A bigger building should have hidden this away. As for the design of the center itself, it could have used some color and more timeless materials. Somehow, I can imagine this looking very dirty and neglected in a few decades.

^ Now that you mention it, I could see that exoskeleton ending up being downtown's PABT (strictly speaking of the exterior...I'd rather not imagine the interior ever looking so dingy). But for the here and now I like the muscularity of the design and think it adds something unique to the cityscape.

I like it. This was a truly disgusting block before 9/11, and the station was a hell hole.

Stunning !

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post
    I like it. This was a truly disgusting block before 9/11, and the station was a hell hole.
    true & true. It was an ugly collection of buildings and the hodge podge station was impossible to navigate.

As someone who lives just down the street and uses it a number of times each week, I am very grateful for this. Now I'm looking forward to the retail opening, to give it some animation and (one hopes) additional neighborhood usefulness.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9870.jpg 
Views:	1062 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	18111   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9875.jpg 
Views:	1148 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	18112  

Quote Originally Posted by prairie_dog View Post
    As someone who lives just down the street and uses it a number of times each week, I am very grateful for this. Now I'm looking forward to the retail opening, to give it some animation and (one hopes) additional neighborhood usefulness.
    What's the hold-up on the retail? This thing has been open for a while now. There isn't even a newsstand in there. If I didn't know better, I would assume that the MTA is incompetent!

After stopping at the brilliant white purity of the WTC Oculus last Thursday morning, I stopped in at the Fulton Center. Fulton is a smaller space - and a very different vibe - industrial and harsh corners as opposed to the smooth polish of Calatrava - but still focused on letting in the light via its huge conical skylight. I love it.

I just hate photographing it. There is a lot to take in, its all arranged vertically, and I'll be damned if I can find an angle where you can capture what the eye sees. You just end up with muddled messes.

So better to focus on the pieces that make the whole. The kinetic energy of the floor beneath the opening. The spiral ramp. That skylight.

Oh man, I do love that skylight!

With the interplay of light and reflection... this should be a fun space to photograph as the seasons change

Forum Veteran

Fulton st station is also a colossal waste of resources. That stupid oculus they spent tens of millions on ended up being plain and nothing special to look at. What I do like about this station is if you stand in the center away from Broadway, you get a clear look at the street and layers below it. That's the only worthy architectural feature of the whole place

Found this on Flickr:

https://flic.kr/p/qsEhJo