Page 1 of 96 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Fulton Center

Default Fulton Center

The MTA has posted some more info on the Fulton St. Transit Center plans here:

http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/capconstr/fstc

Default Fulton St. Transit Center

And I suppose this is a generic version of the Grand Central of Lower Manhattan.

This is for the Fulton and B'way station as opposed to the "Downtown Grand Central" at the WTC site. Can't quite figure out why they both have to be so grand. I say let the developer pay for underground improvements in exchange for building a tower on the corner of Fulton and B'wy. That way the public money can be focused on the Day St. connection and Libeskind's transit center.

And it's pathetic to call any kind of subway station, no matter how many transfer points it has, a "Grand Central." *Really pathetic.

If people keep doing that, I'm going to start calling my one bedroom apartment a "super-luxury duplex penthouse."

Anyone ever use that transfer center at the Fulton St. station? *I used to use it everyday, and it was horrible. *The long, maze like walks, the heat....those renderings look 10 times better than the mess that is there now...

Banned Member

Quote: from NYguy on 8:45 am on April 16, 2003
    Anyone ever use that transfer center at the Fulton St. station? *I used to use it everyday, and it was horrible. *The long, maze like walks, the heat....those renderings look 10 times better than the mess that is there now...
    EXACTLY.... *There is a very strong argument for a station like this, especially as business leaders are seriously questioning the city's commitment to move things along. *The present station is a mess with entrances mid-block and seemingly disguised as storefronts. *Insignificant me gives it a glowing endorsement.

I'm impressed by the simplicity of design.

I agree. Functional, straightforward design. Good visability from the street. It's exactly right to fix the mess that's there now.

No need for this station to be grand.

The MTA should add some excitement to the transit center. *It looks too dull from the renderings.

I don't see any newstands or the like. *They should plan for that instead of making it an afterthought. *It looks like they have accomodated the possibility of a tower on top of it (there are no skylights that I can see, and those interior columns are pretty robust for a one-story building -- I could be wrong), which is encouraging. *Let's build this already!

The MTA link JM provided has info on a scoping report meeting to be held on Tues, April 29, 6-9PM at the Customs House. Open to the public.

BRIGHT!

Aseptic. This better be indicative in the loosest sense. That it will almost certainly be an improvement anyway is no excuse. New Yorkers should not settle for functionalist public spaces - their city deserves better.

This looks like an airport.

I wouldn't worry too much about newstands not being in the rendering. *Of course there will be newstands and other vendors everywhere, but they're not actually part of the building.

These renderings are promising though, because you can actually see where it is you are headed. *Transferring trains at this station is like an obstacle course, going up one minute, down the next. *Just when you think you reach the train, there's another ramp or staircase to climb....

Page 1 of 96 123451151 ... LastLast