Page 48 of 53 FirstFirst ... 38444546474849505152 ... LastLast

Thread: Guess the Location: Official Thread

Banned Member

Not the Customs House. This building is further north.

The timeline of the seal's dates of use does contain the date the building was constructed.

Looks Beaux-Arts, but I can't pin it down in the 1915-1977. How about another hint. Are we correct to assume it is a city building with that seal tattooed on its side?

Banned Member

It is a city institution and has served the general public faithfully. No restrictions for fokls to enter - no metal detectors or bag searches - nothing.

^^^ That sounds like the NYPL, but the main Library building pre-dates the seal. Is this another library building I don't know about?

Banned Member

It isn't a library. It serves the public welfare. It is located below 42nd Street.

Banned Member

Ok. We've all given up.

It is the historic Bellevue Psychiatric Hospital on 1st Avenue

Is this the view zooming out a bit? I wasn't expecting the brickwork.

[Pic deleted. The above photo wasn't posted when I added one of the same building.]
    Last edited by hbcat; December 12th, 2009 at 08:30 PM. Reason: redundant image removed

The Bellevue Psychiactric Hospital was one of the location shoots for Billy Wilder's classic The Lost Weekend. The alcoholic Don Birnam (Ray Milland) wakes up in the hospital's "hangover plaza" ward.

Banned Member

Was my clue too generic?

Perhaps not cryptic enough ...

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider View Post
    Was my clue too generic?
    BR,

I am still not able to place the building by date. According to this, Bellevue was founded in 1736, but I don't see anything in the timeline which notes a major building constructed between 1915 and 1977:

http://wapedia.mobi/en/Bellevue_Hospital_Center#1.

Nice choice of a historic site though.

hb

A NY Magazine article from 2008 (Checkout Time at the Asylum) says the Bellevue Psychiatric Hospital building on First Avenue is 78 years old, built in 1931:

... the Bellevue of our shared imagination—the nuthouse, the punch line, the must-to-avoid vacation spot—is something else entirely. And at least in one sense, it’s about to go away. Although Bellevue’s mental-health treatment center will continue to operate at full strength, this spring, the city’s Economic Development Corporation announced its intention to offer up the building that, for more than half of the last century, was Bellevue. Bellevue Psychiatric Hospital, the Bellevue that for 78 years has stood, gloomy and gated, on 30th and First, the Bellevue made infamous in movies and nightmares, the forbidding destination for so many celebrated and notorious New Yorkers that it stands as a chilling landmark: the Chelsea Hotel of the mad.

... these days, it resembles nothing so much as a haunted house that has tried its best to cheer up and smile. Built in 1931 by Charles B. Meyers, an architect who seems to have specialized in places you don’t want to be (he also helped design the Criminal Courts Building on Centre Street), it’s nine stories of red brick with a perimeter of grass and, on two sides, a low wall topped with tall, spiked wrought-iron fences that look like they were designed to reassure local residents that nobody was getting out.

... It seems unlikely that anybody would be sorry to see the words “Psychiatric Hospital” chipped off the northern entrance of its old quarters. And while the EDC’s plan to turn Bellevue into the latest in luxe accommodations has occasioned a certain number of jokes about the Sid Vicious Suite (yes, he’s an alum) and the Electric Kool-Aid Acid Casualty Atrium, those memories aren’t likely to have much traction. After all, nobody is more expert at eradicating swaths of urban history with great dispatch and little sentimentality than a real-estate developer.

Nice article, lofter. I had no idea.

Well written, eh?

There's a million stories in the Naked City.

Taking a different approach - instead of starting with a small detail, I'll post the entire image. Hopefully the location is obscure enough to garner a few guesses.