Page 5 of 53 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Guess the Location: Official Thread

Default Guess the Location: Official Thread

Thats the old Standard Oil Building at 26 Broadway, right?

Disregard my last answer. Somehow I failed to see a couple of pages and it ended up here. It was the Standard Oil Building, though.

Reviving the game......

Too bourgeois for me. (Original excuse for ignorance.)

I'm going to need a hint on this one. *What is that reflected in the window?

I'm pretty sure I saw this recently...is it the entrance to the Crate & Barrel Store near Houston Street?

What can I say, you guys are good! Yes bak, it is the entrance to the Crate and Barrel Store on the corner of Houston St. and Broadway.

It is The Cable Building (McKim, Mead and White - 1892), and it served as the power plant for the Metropolitan Cable car line on Broadway.

The Angelika Film Center entrace is on the Houston/Mercer St. corner.

Name the neighborhood....

Hint: In the summer-time its still legal to *drive-through stop-lights, however things are changing with a sweeping revitalization plan.

(Edited by Stern at 1:21 pm on July 4, 2003)

Forum Veteran

Greenpoint?

Looks like the A train in Rockaway. I'll guess Arverne.

Forum Veteran

Yeah, now that I think of it...

One of the last lines in New York City.

Great job Zippy.

Damn, I finally got one of these right.

Arverne was plotted in 1880's by Remington Vernam, and got its name from the way he signed - R Vernam.

Originally a fashionable resort area, it began to decline in the 1930's. First efforts to revitalize were post WWII, when the city announced plans to build housing for war veterans. Nothing happened. The summer bungalows were used year round and became firetraps. In 1964 the city designated 300 acres as an Urban Renewal Area. Nothing happened.

Forty years later, hopefully Arverne by the Sea.
    http://www.arvernebythesea.com/

July 6, 2003

Know the City Inside Out? Try Up and Down

By GLENN COLLINS

Maybe you spend a lot of time in Manhattan. Maybe you're pretty sure you know what it looks like: skyscrapers, grit, hot-dog carts, lots of sophisticates rushing to lots of important things.

Or maybe it doesn't look like that at all. Maybe New York is just a collection of shapes, colors, dots and still lifes that seem more likely to have sprung from the imagination of a graphic artist than from the jumbled history of city life.

Each of these photographs was shot in Manhattan. Or rather, over Manhattan. From a helicopter, on a recent afternoon.

These views are normally denied to all but pilots, winged creatures and National Security Agency satellite-map sleuths. A pigeon, aloft, may have a fuller sense of New York's native geometry than the city's populace has. It is a city of mass, color, pattern, perspective. From on high, landmarks are only vaguely familiar. From only 1,000 feet, much of Manhattan seems to be deserted.

Where, then, were these photographs taken?

Consider these hints.

First picture: The contemplative gentleman with his hands in his pockets in the charming emerald park seems wholly unaware of the traffic swirling beneath his shoes. Doubtless the drivers on the road below, gunning their accelerators, would find it inconceivable that a philosopher in a bosky alternative universe could be rooted only a few feet above their heads. If they are wondering anything, it must be why anyone thought an orange traffic cone could replace a piece of fence.

Second picture: It is safe to say that the urbanites who use the plaza next to this public building in Lower Manhattan have no idea that the purple, lime-green and forest-green park benches and plantings play a Mondrian riff from high above. They certainly are unaware that their all-too-ho-hum street lights resemble suction-cup darts on a gray slate board when they are studied from way up.

Third picture: It is difficult from this angle to spot the pre-Harry Potter owl that is cleverly formed into the beloved statue at the top of the image, as busloads of visitors have been enjoined to do. The formal red-paved squares of this plaza seem more akin to the Greeks' archaic temple decorations from Paestum than a variant of Malevich's "Red Square." And those weird vertical musical-staff lines for an as-yet-uncharted 10-tone scale are actually worn stone steps. They have provided studying, sunning and chatting space for generations of students.

Fourth picture: It must be said that this is a cross-sectional view of a pier. A river frames both top and bottom. Sun worshipers on the green lawn and strollers on the boardwalk are equally unaware that their new park resembles an architectural student's deconstructionist study for some new Sydney Opera House.

Answers to the Quiz

Copyright 2003 The New York Times Company

I think thats Zoe and seafeel in the left corner of the last picture

Page 5 of 53 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast