Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposed - Silvercup West - Vernon Blvd @ 43rd Ave (Astoria) - by Richard Rogers

So, when will this project begin construction?

I've heard 2009 completion dates, so I assume construction should begin very soon, no?

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Well, if you bothered to read the article all the way through, you would have seen this:
    Just how these worlds will co-exist remains to be seen, and will be examined in a seven-month public Uniform Land Use Review Process that has just gotten under way. The earliest construction could begin is next year, with completion by 2010.

My response to this was, if they're so desparate for any kind of retail, why did their pharmacy and bodega close? It doesn't make sense. There could be other factors out of the control of the business owners, but being the only bodega for 15,000 people seems like a pretty good business to be in to me.

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby
    Well, if you bothered to read the article all the way through, you would have seen this
    Sorry, no need to be snippy. I was just asking a question. I must have missed that part of the article.

Would you like people to respond to you like that when you ask a question?

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

If that sounded like an attitude, it wasn't intended to be.
    I apologize.

Quote Originally Posted by macreator
    Would you like people to respond to you like that when you ask a question?
    LOL, I would have answered it the same way. Its always annoying when people don't bother to read.

In this self-described desolate neighborhood, they seem to welcome glitzy developments with open arms but if placed just across the East river, this same proposal would be considered an absolute crime, an atrocity. You'd have people crying and protesting like their life was dependent on it.
    You see, across the river you have the Manhattan "elite". Everything is held hostage until demands (or some of them) are met. And they are usually unreasonable demands to place on private property owners. But if these developers want their projects to go through, they often have to cave in.

Equally amazing is those same people who chooses to live on the Manhattan side of river that endlessly claim they want the peace and serenity (read desolate, no crowds, no traffic, no development, no sunlight blocking highrises) that the neighborhood on the Queens side readily offers yet they wouldn't even think about going over. Interesting...
    Its not only interesting, its absurd. Those people should be put in a rocket, and shipped to the moon.

Quote Originally Posted by NYguy
    Its not only interesting, its absurd. Those people should be put in a rocket, and shipped to the moon.
    Uhhhh ... What are the zoning regs there?

Would this touching scene be rendered un-buildable under your proposal??

Dr. Floyd is toured past a children's painting class at the Clavius moon base.

And what would they do with this ...

Despite the evidence of its historical importance, would Landmarking help to save this Brutalistic structure?

And how would they get along with the locals ?

Quote Originally Posted by NYguy
    LOL, I would have answered it the same way. Its always annoying when people don't bother to read.
    Sometimes people dont have the time or cant be bothered reading all the way through a article they are not interested in just to find details.

It never ceases to amaze me how people throughout time no matter where or who they are, always want what they don't have.
    In this self-described desolate neighborhood, they seem to welcome glitzy developments with open arms but if placed just across the East river, this same proposal would be considered an absolute crime, an atrocity. You'd have people crying and protesting like their life was dependent on it.

Equally amazing is those same people who chooses to live on the Manhattan side of river that endlessly claim they want the peace and serenity (read desolate, no crowds, no traffic, no development, no sunlight blocking highrises) that the neighborhood on the Queens side readily offers yet they wouldn't even think about going over. Interesting...
    My conclusion: people are morons

The Dude Abides

From http://cityrealty.com/new_developments

City Planning holds hearing on Silvercup West project on the East River 24-MAY-06

The City Planning Commission held a hearing today the draft environment impact statement of the large mixed-use waterfront development known as “Silvercup West,” which is also submitting eight applications for various zoning amendments, text changes, authorizations and certifications.
    The project would develop about 2,100,000 “zoning” square feet on a site immediate south and adjacent to the Queensborough Bridge in Long Island City.

The impact statement indicated that project “would result in no unmitigated significant adverse impacts.”

The applicant is Terra Cotta, LLC, of which Stuart Match Suna and Alan Suna, the heads of Silvercup Studios, are the principals.

The project would erect 8 large television and film studios at its center flanked by an office tower to the north and two residential towers to the south.

The architect for the large project is the Richard Rogers Partnership of London. Lord Rogers, one of the world’s most famous “high-tech” architects, designed with Renzo Piano the famous Centre Pompidou in Paris and on his own Lloyd’s Bank in London and he was recently selected to redesign the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center and to design one of three office towers that are to be developed by Larry Silverstein at Ground Zero.

In addition to about 1,000 market-rate apartments in the two south towers, the project would have about 650,000 square feet in the office building at the north end of the site and the eight film studios in the center of the site would be about 18,000 square feet. The studios would be topped by a catering facility with sweeping views of midtown Manhattan. The project, furthermore, would have a cultural/community facility in the base of the office tower of 126,401 square feet, 77,000 square feet of retail space and 1,400 parking spaces.

The tallest residential tower would be 588 feet high, although Stuart Suna told the commission today that the Federal Aviation Agency had authorized a building height at this location of up to 600 feet. (The finials of the elegant Queensborough Bridge are about 354 feet high.) Lord Rogers told the project’s design relates to the “language” of the “fantastic” Queensborough Bridge, adding that office tower’s setbacks were designed to respect the ornate towers of the nearby bridge. Some speakers at the hearing, however, suggested that the project’s mass competes strongly with the bridge. After the hearing, Lord Rogers told CityRealty.Com that the size of the office building was determined in large part by the perceived market need for large floor sizes.

The project would restore the New York Architectural Terra Cotta Company building, and provide considerable public open space. Silvercup Studio’s main facility is located in the former Silvercup Bakery Company building that is about half a mile east of the 6-acre, “Silvercup West” site.

Commissioner Camilla Battaglia asked Alan Suna what provisions were being made to include “affordable housing” in the development. Mr. Suna said that while “we’re basically big supporters of affordable housing, it is not economic for this project,” which he emphasized was private, not public. Commissioner Battaglia did not retreat, however, and suggested that the developers seek out subsidies.

Under questioning, Mr. Suna said off-site possibilities for such housing was being researched.

“That’s far less than perfect,” Commissioner Battaglia retorted, adding that she would like to see something specific in writing before the July 18 deadline for the commission to vote on the proposal.

At one point during the hearing, Amanda Burden, the chairman of the City Planning Commission, said that “we’re all very eager to get this built.”

Joel Shapiro, the well-known sculptor, told the commission that it should be careful to ensure that the project does not “homogenize both sides of the river.”

I visited the site recently and I am still not sure what they plan to do with the new power plant that was recently constructed just south of the Terra Cotta building.

They avoid showing it it and the two large smokestacks in the drawings.

Quote Originally Posted by mkeit
    I visited the site recently and I am still not sure what they plan to do with the new power plant that was recently constructed just south of the Terra Cotta building.

They avoid showing it it and the two large smokestacks in the drawings.
    I'm almost positive that Silvercup West will be built on the same site of the temporary power plant.

I dont understand this obsession with affordable housing in every large development, especially when its 80 here, 50 there, for the effective lottery winners. It would help so much more if these projects were fast tracked at 100% market rate. Meanwhile atlantic yards is taking forever to get approval, with thousands of affordable apartments.

These politicians and bureaucrats scream about affordable housing, and then proceed to downzone and support the CBs when then derail everything that comes their way. But they are all out for themselves. The biggest campaign platform in the last election was affordable housing, and yet most politicians have done the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by alibrot
    These politicians and bureaucrats scream about affordable housing, and then proceed to downzone and support the CBs when then derail everything that comes their way. But they are all out for themselves. The biggest campaign platform in the last election was affordable housing, and yet most politicians have done the opposite.
    Couldn't agree more with you. More housing stock @ market rate = lower prices in the long run.

It's supply and demand. We should let developers over-build as soon enough they'll oversupply the demand for the moment and prices will go down.

It's ironic that the people who scream for affordable housing the most are the ones that scream when a developer proposes a tall building full of much needed housing. Housing becomes affordable when supply is allowed to overtake demand.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast