Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: New Museum of Contemporary Art - 235 Bowery - by SANAA

They look like the people in The Matrix.

^ Must be in costume.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    The photos and vid are out of date ...

It's now a big yellow box ...

This will be awesome! It's funny how NY's most cutting edge architecture is in previously forlorn places (i.e., the Bowry and the High-Line vicinity).

The Dude Abides

6/26: The New Museum

^ Contextual as all get-out. Though its a lot bigger than its neighbors, it's right in scale with them: a similar frequency of event, a similar complexity of form.

Right now, extremely nice. Hope the final cladding doesn't ruin it. If it's glass it probably will. (Makes me wish it would stay like this forever.)

From the thread for the New Museum of Contemporary Art ...

[Seems I was wrong about the translucency ]

On the facade :

The Architects

Kazuyo Sejima, 47, and Ryue Nishizawa, 37, have received accolades internationally for work that is luminous and minimal in its aesthetics; sophisticated in its treatment of complex building detail and fluid, non-hierarchical space; and highly original in its use of exterior facades as permeable membranes that establish subtle but provocative relationships between interior and exterior, individual and community, and the realms of public and private experience.
    On the materials :

Lunchbox for Art: A New Museum

By HERBERT MUSCHAMP

The New Museum of Contemporary Art wants to build a seven-story bento box for art on the Bowery. Plans and models for this deftly composed lunch break of a building are now on view in the museum's mezzanine gallery, at 583 Broadway, between Houston and Prince Streets in SoHo. Produced by Saana, a Tokyo firm, the design should please those who believe that art museums should be neutral containers. If executed with proper attention to detail, the building will also delight the Victorians among us who incline toward tender passion.

It may seem odd to describe so minimalist a design as Victorian. It may be doubly odd to portray as tender a building that will be encased within tough galvanized zinc. Yet it was the Victorians who recognized the eloquence of the Crystal Palace, one of Minimalism's primary sources. And Minimalism's master, Mies van der Rohe, showed the world that industrial materials can be sweet.

... Frankly, I was expecting the firm to produce a more transparent building envelope. Saana is noted for delicate, veil-like facades, and the museum has spoken of its desire to appear open to the neighboring community. So it is surprising to see that the museum's elevations use less glass than those of the Whitney. The opaque zinc-finished steel may take some getting used to.

I'm prepared to like it immediately, however. There is more than one way to be open. We don't often see metal used as a light, reflective skin. With the moiré patterns that will glimmer across its galvanized surface, I expect that the skin will be nearly as veil-like as glass. This zinc plating really is that familiar, cheap silvery gray stuff air ducts are made of, a reminder that modern architecture is a form of industrial alchemy.

The idea of openness is conveyed more emphatically by the shape of the building envelope, perhaps, than by its materials. Each of the building's seven floors is represented as a distinct rectangular box. These are stacked atop one another, in an off-axis composition, like a chest of partly open drawers. This arrangement allows variety in the size and proportions of each floor. It also creates setbacks that are used for open-air terraces and for skylights to naturally illuminate the galleries below. At night, the building's metallic exterior will be washed with artificial lighting from within.

The zinc panels now cover a good portion of the exterior of these stacked cubes.

Along with solid panels most of the south and east facades (and a section of the north facade) are getting dressed in a metal mesh (a material which I don't believe was apparent in any of the previous info about this project) ...

east / north facades ...

west / south facades ...

There are a succession of connected posts in the "New Developments on the Bowery" thread specifically regarding this Museum project ...

They start HERE , continue on HERE through HERE .

Can they be copied or moved to this thread?

Earlier this week a crew attempted to install a long and awkward-to-control piece of the zinc facade ...

The guys on the lower hanging scaffold tried to "feed" the panel up into the channel along the north facade with the help of a gang on the 2nd hanging scaffold ...

They got very close to success ...

With the help of another guy up above, who tried to guide the panel into place via some ropes & wires ...

But the panel seemed to have a [bendy] mind of its own ...

By the time I left they had been reduced to re-adjusting the scaffolding and re-measuring the slot; not sure if they ultimately had success that day or not ...

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    There are a succession of connected posts in the "New Developments on the Bowery" thread specifically regarding this Museum project ...

They start HERE , continue on HERE through HERE .

Can they be copied or moved to this thread?
    Copied. From now on they will be moved here. Thanks for the heads-up.

Excellent ^^^

Muchas Gracias

More metal mesh going up here ...

A workman who was installing the paneling on the facade told me that the entire building -- including the west facade facing onto The Bowery -- will be covered in the metal mesh. And that the under-layer is actually white-painted aluminum and that the mesh is aluminum as well ...

So, what happened to the ZINC facade which was previously described and promised ...

Drove by this building yesterday for the first time. It's basically a giant, windowless metal shed dropped into the middle of a much lower scale NYC streetscape. It basically says "F__ YOU!" to everything around it. When some future generation with better taste tears down this eysore, they are going to wonder if we had all just lost our mind.

Banned Member

I'm reserving judgment on this building until complete. I think the neighborhood is going to catch up to this building.

I enjoy a museum with natural light myself. I would expect them to have an incredible lighting designer - or suffer public scorn if not.

that silverly material looks nothing more then chain link fence fastened onto the facade. how cheap can you get, this thing looks terrible against the promises of the rendering. typical.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast